ASTK info

muszeuhs

Gold Member
Scoured the HI site, couldn't find a link to custom order.

If the link actually exists, could someone point me in the right direction? If the link indeed does not exist, does anyone have insights as to what the ordering options are? Namely khuk length(s), handle materials (and colors if applicable), and pricing.

Also would love to hear some recent personal experiences with the ASTK if anyone owns one/has otherwise received one recently. Steely_Gunz suggested it to me in a different thread and I've found some older posts about the ASTK, but a search through the forums turns up some pretty dated threads.

Thanks!

The Astk really only comes in one size (18") and with either wood or horn handles. I've only seen them in villager finish but I'm sure they could be ordered otherwise.

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
They have also come in 15" as well as that's what I have:) in my opinion, i think it excels in the 15"Villager length as it's a really chunky (yet incredibly balanced) knife.

To custom order sometime, just send Ms. Yangdu an email with what you are looking for, and s.he'll get you a price and projected timeframe.

Good luck:)

davidf99

Platinum Member
Muszeuhs:

If you search the forum (or do a Google search) you'll likely run across two versions of the ASTK. The original version, a few years back, had an exceptionally thick chiruwa style tang; basically the full thickness of the spine runs all the way back to the butt. This makes it a heavy knife (I think 37 oz was common, and some ran over 40 oz), but it feels balanced because a lot of the weight is in the handle.

The more recent version is 7-10 oz lighter for the same length (about 18"). I believe most of the weight savings is in the tang, which is also chiruwa style but tapers toward the butt, rather like the CAK model. Plenty strong and probably a lot more practical for most people of average size or even larger.

I think you wrote that you are looking for a knife for your SO. An 18" ASTK under 30 oz would be a great choice, IMHO. Probably best to get villager style (satin finish rather than polished) because that's easier to keep good looking after chopping. A 15" version would be even better for a smaller person, but I haven't seen any of those in a DOTD.

Email Yangdu. Ask her what's available now and you can discuss a special order with her in an email exchange. This is not like dealing with a giant corporation. Yangdu is a real person, very nice, and the kamis have the skill to make just about anything out of steel, especially if it's just a variation on an existing model.

I got mine as a blems and rehandled it, nice balance, tang tapers nicely so it maintains a forward heavy balance. Honestly though, I'd grab my Busse Zilla, HI UVK or Scrapyard 1311 before it, that's just me though.

Here you can see how the tang tapers down quite a bit from the spine thickness
8c8f5833.jpg

2a82e217.jpg

Jroden5446, do you order handles somewhere, or fashion them yourself? Also, how do you attach the handles to the chiruwa, or rat tail?
My son has a no name Khukri from Budk that the butt cap came off and the handle rattles. It's 15.5 inches, nice solid blade, about 1/4 inch thick spine and holds a decent edge. Actually a great blade, high carbon steal, perhaps from leaf springs, but the handle is junk.
He is still happy with his starter Khukri, and swears up and down its worth much more than the 20.00 he paid for it, and that it is one of the few items on budk that isnt completely junk. He has asked me to do some handle repair, something I have no experience with.
Tried to talk him into a HI, but he has his mind set on a lever action .22 or a shotgun for his 18 th birthday present to himself.
Was thinking of bringing down the but cap pin, smoothing the handle and full tank some to stop it biting him, adding some sort of epoxy, and wrapping in hockey tape so he can continue to beat the hell out of it some more.

RiverRat, I do the handles myself. I have yet to do a hidden tang style ( been waiting on a blem to pop up to try it out). Feel free to email me some pics of the handle, I'll give you any ideas I can think of to fix it up.

Karda

BANNED
Scoured the HI site, couldn't find a link to custom order.

If the link actually exists, could someone point me in the right direction? If the link indeed does not exist, does anyone have insights as to what the ordering options are? Namely khuk length(s), handle materials (and colors if applicable), and pricing.

Also would love to hear some recent personal experiences with the ASTK if anyone owns one/has otherwise received one recently. Steely_Gunz suggested it to me in a different thread and I've found some older posts about the ASTK, but a search through the forums turns up some pretty dated threads.

Thanks!

Hello muszeuhs and welcome!

There is no link to order custom khukuri. If you would like to make a special order, you will need to discuss specifics with Auntie Yangdu by emailing her at [email protected] or calling her via the phone number listed on the website during business hours (roughly 10am-6pm Reno time).