Astonishing Auctions

I can’t compete against these guys with deep pockets but I die a little inside every time I miss out on one of these auctions.

This one was only posted for a few hours before someone bought it for $2500! The discription read:
--This axe has its original Black & Gold Finishes from the Factory --Original bits --Never Sharpened
BF5-A7-B00-1-B65-4-FB5-841-D-CB906-B6-E64-B7.jpg

76510-D2-D-6-D1-B-4-F4-E-BCE6-9-E543-EA5578-A.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t compete against these guys with deep pockets but I die a little inside every time I miss out on one of these auctions.

This one was only posted for a few hours before someone bought it for $2500! The discription read:
--This axe has its original Black & Gold Finishes from the Factory --Original bits --Never Sharpened
BF5-A7-B00-1-B65-4-FB5-841-D-CB906-B6-E64-B7.jpg

76510-D2-D-6-D1-B-4-F4-E-BCE6-9-E543-EA5578-A.jpg
I saw that and thought a person would have to be insane to pay $2500. What do I know?

Why would anybody hang that on a single bit handle?? What a mockery of a stunning head?
I used to have this Black Raven (really regret selling it...) that had a one sided handle that made me think the same thing. But I actually think it might have been an Adirondack double bit handle as seen in the lower left on that page of handles.
66473974-39-EC-42-B0-A745-B189897-DBFA6.jpg
9-D845-FF0-C7-FE-4-E77-8440-87-DDFDC1-BBFF.jpg

174-D4-AD3-D3-D0-4304-AE56-014406625-EDA.jpg

Last edited:
These are the ones that drove(still drive) me nuts. The E&S from WEST WATERVILLE aaggghhhhh! Lord I wanted that thing.
tzMe5So.png

It sold for $800+. I can't remember exactly how much it went for. I know it was totally mint. Then there was this one. I still dream about it...
9wD1Fg7.jpg

I don't think I'm in a minority here but i would spend inordinate amounts on axes if i had it. It's only money but these axes are just awesome! Great idea for a thread btw!

These are the ones that drove(still drive) me nuts. The E&S from WEST WATERVILLE aaggghhhhh! Lord I wanted that thing.
tzMe5So.png

It sold for $800+. I can't remember exactly how much it went for. I know it was totally mint. Then there was this one. I still dream about it...
9wD1Fg7.jpg

I don't think I'm in a minority here but i would spend inordinate amounts on axes if i had it. It's only money but these axes are just awesome! Great idea for a thread btw!
Ahhh I love that Oil Whetted! I think I saw that one as well.

All I have to do to feel depressed is look at sold listings under "ax" on ebay with price + shipping highest first. So many beautiful axes, so little $. If I ever win the lottery or something, I'd get a Kelly Registered, Black Raven, or a N.O.S. axe and make it a daily user. Just 'cause that's what they were meant for. And so every time I see a beautiful, expensive axe sell for lots o dough I can console myself saying, "I use a ----- as a daily user, I didn't need that axe, I didn't need that axe."

I just keep getting sniped. The only deals I've gotten have been from looking every day and hoping to see a new buy-it-now somebody else hasn't nabbed.

The auto snipers are killing me. It's either bid war or a program that places a bid with one second left. Can't win.

Etsy has a handful of restored etched heads for sale I believe.

I was actually looking at Etsy a couple days ago. The prices there are even higher than eBay. In fact, some of the same axes (literally same pictures) are on Etsy for $200 more than the buy-it-now price on Amazon! Others are eBay nabs I've personally lost out on to autosnipers just to see them listed on Etsy for 3-4x the price. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm kinda salty about it, but this is literally why we can't have nice things. Fair, legal, etc., but it doesn't make it less frustrating :)

I was actually looking at Etsy a couple days ago. The prices there are even higher than eBay. In fact, some of the same axes (literally same pictures) are on Etsy for $200 more than the buy-it-now price on Amazon! Others are eBay nabs I've personally lost out on to autosnipers just to see them listed on Etsy for 3-4x the price. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm kinda salty about it, but this is literally why we can't have nice things. Fair, legal, etc., but it doesn't make it less frustrating :)

Plenty of good users out there one can find at antique stores and garage sales, the collectible ones are getting harder to find, and more expensive, but that's sort of the point of a collectible. The desirability is part of the appeal, not all of it, but a part of it. Ebay also tends to sell raw heads where Etsy is flooded with restored axes, some people want to buy an axe ready to use, and some want to do the leg work themselves.

Back