Astro

eveled

Gold Member
I recently picked up a used Astro to try out. It's a nice knife, with an interesting hystory. The handle is small, but useable.

My question is what makes the Astro worth so much more than the other models that are close to it. The 14 Attack, 15 Airman, 16 Diver & sp1fighter all have Stainless blades, with fancier handles, yet all cost considerably less than the Astro. The stainless guard is the obvious difference, is it the reason for the higher price? Just wondering what I'm missing.

The Astro seems like a better dive knife than the diver. IMHO.

The stainless steel guard operation requires more skill and care than do either the brass or the nickel silver operation. I believe only one skilled Randall craftsman does all the Astros. (I once begged Scott to let me order a Model 14 or Model 15 with a stainless guard, but was told that this would not happen.)
It's also likely that machining the tang to create a cavity, as well as creating cavities in each of the handle scales, adds significant time and skill to the production of the Astro.
You CAN apply a larger handle--I did so with my early Astro. This is not considered a modification to the knife, since it is completely reversible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqvcjfvpfvb5ycf/Astro & handles .jpg?dl=0
-Steve

Last edited:
Thanks, I like the bigger handle. Looks good. I think you are right about the stainless guard being harder to make.

Has to be the labor since it's a intricate design. The 14 and 15 were designed to cut costs at least in the beginning.

I've been carrying the used Astro off and on since I got it. It's been a joy to carry. Big enough, not too big. Seems indestructible. It's a nice knife.

Back