asymmetric sharpening angle and other questions

Hello! After happily using a Zhen vg10 chinese cleaver for years I had some extra $ and decided that I wanted to experience japanese knives. I got a 6" petty knife and an 8 inch kiritsuke. I have a yoshihiro hi soft cutting board.

The kiritsuke is made of sg2 steel (63 rockwell) and its recommended to sharpen at 12 degrees a side which I can handle.

The 6" petty is made of super blue steel (64-65 rockwell) and is clad in warikomi style carbon steel. I wrote to the manufacturer and they said in general, a factory edge will be 8-10 degrees (right) and 10-12 degrees (left) but they recommend following the shinogi line angle that's already on the knife for the best result.

I sharpen with dmt continuous grain 8" bench stones (x coarse, coarse, fine, x fine) and have a ceramic bench stone and strops available if needed. I use those little plastic edge angle guides rubber banded to the stones to get a pretty consistent angle. Usually when I get a new knife I reprofile it with these guides so that future sharpenings are fast and easy.

So I figured I'd set the sg2 knife to 12 a side using the guides that I have. I figured I'd set the super blue knife to 8 on the right and 10 on the left using the guides that I have.

I was wondering if I should just do the super blue petty to 10 a side instead for simplicity? I know that the angles were set by a master so maybe I should just freehand whatever angle is there already?

Also, do you see any issues using the dmt stones on steel this hard? The site's say water stones only.

thank you,

gerry

You should post this in the maintenance and tinkering subforum. Imo.

Back