Attn. All Smatchetorians! . . . Wanna Help Design The Busse Combat Smatchet?. . . Start Drinkin'!!!

Jerry Busse

Attention all Smatchetorians!!!!

I have been drawing Smatchet designs for over 1,000 years!!! I know, that seems like a long time, but it dates back to my early days as a knifemaker and I'm pretty sure that was over 1,000 years ago!!!

I'm going to post a series of different renditions that I have drawn in just the last century for discussion and feedback purposes.

Here are the rules:

[ 1 ] You MUST be drinking something! (Alcohol is optional)
[ 2 ] No Drawings!. . . . Use your words!
[ 3 ] I will put all drawings in this Original Post and will post when I have added more.

Let's Drink!!!

Jerry

Here are the first 2 of many Drawings:

Smatchet%201%20%26%202-XL.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is my post #39 on page 2 of this thread.
You asked for it longer . . . so here are some 11" long blade models!

#s 4-9 all have 11 inch blades and are 16.5" OAL
#s 3-5 have 2.5" Wide blades.
#s 6-9 have 3.2" Wide blades!!! That's almost a 1/4" wider than the WTF!!!!

#3 is the 8 1/2 inch blade model like #s 1 and 2.
#4 same blade width as #3 but is 11 inches long and 2.5" wide
#5 same as #4 with CBT
#6 has same width ricasso as 3-5 but has a 3.2" wide blade!
#7 is the same as #6 but with CBT
#8 Has an expanded ricasso
#9 same as #8 but with CBT

Smatchet%2011%20Inch%20Blades-X2.jpg

Below is my post #50 on page 3 of this thread! This is the 11" blade with the expanded fuller!

Smatchet%20%238%20Mod%20Fuller-XL.jpg

Here are a few more. . . . All of these are shown with an 8 1/2" Blade and all approx. 14" OAL

Smatchets%2010-18-X3.jpg

Below is my post #110 on page 6 of this thread!

Here's a new one that incorporates a number of suggestions.

Choils and a nice palm swell for comfort when chopping.

Enhanced fuller.

Devastating pommel with a small flat for pounding.

smatchet%2019-X2.jpg

Below is my post #127 on page 7 of this thread!

Here's another one that I just finished! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

It took me the entire bottle. . . .errr. . . I mean "night" to finish this one.:eek:o_O:confused:

Again, using several suggestions, I have included the shallow choils, feather vane bevels, palm swell handle, rounded pommel, and I moved the talon holes and the handles much further out in order to make the handles cover more of the front guard area!

I really like the 'Feather Vane" bevel on this 11 inch long blade!:cool::thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!. . .. . I'm going to bed! :cool::thumbsup:

Jerry :D

Smatchet%2020-XL.jpg

Below is my post #131 on page 7 of this thread!

You asked for it. . . . you got it!!!

Double the fuller!!! . .. Now that's a big fuller!!!!
Smatchet%2021-L.jpg

Below is my post #132 on page 7 of this thread!

Arrrghhhh . . . . Can't sleep. . . . still designing. . . .

. . . still drinking. . . . . .

Jerry

Smatchet%2022%20and%2023-XL.jpg

Below is my post #141 on page 8 of this thread!

Another killer Cool Combo of blade and handle.

SMATCHET%2024-X2.jpg

I love this! Any design constraints?
(size, length, thickness, material?)

Love the coffin handles, I like the symmetrical choil for additional grip option and sharpening.

10-12" leaf blade (wrist to elbow in reverse grip), sharpened on one side, so the other side and be used for blunt force smashing and bashing through the trough. We do need a penetrator tip or at least a swedge for getting into the feed bag. Fuller (triple fuller --> short-long-short) and/or CBT to lighten blade for swine swiftness.

I wonder about the leaf shape... Rather than a traditional more symmetrical leaf, can we have a more top-heavy leaf? Having the weight forward can give the heavy weight chop performance, but reduce the weight for carry.

Think a little straight edge on the bottom quarter or third of the sharpened blade, but tapered out, then curve in with the leaf; think shrinking then mirroring the bolo machete shape; or a leaf shape (upper 3/4 to 2/3) mated to an upside down slim trapezoid (narrow side towards guard and handle).

11" blade, .22" stock, and convex edge.

As much as I would love a double-edged blade, it may be better to leave it as a swedge with a penetrator tip since double- edged blades are illegal in certain jurisdictions.

CBT without the fuller or fuller without the CBT. Both gets a little busy for me.

Back