AUS-8?!?

I'm just wondering why Sog is still using AUS-8 on some of their more premium knives? I really don't understand how anybody can be satisfied paying $100+ for some of the worst knife steel out there.

Last edited:
I agree that AUS8 is certainly not the worse blade steel to be had, but if you're paying over $100 bucks for a knife you really should get better steel IMO.

LOL....If one thinks that Aus8 is "some of the worst knife steel out there", they obviously don't know anything about knife steels.

What I meant is that AUS-8 is some of the worst knife steel you're gonna find on a knife for $100+. There's obviously much worse steels out there.

My favorite steels are "budget" steels 420hc and aus 8a they both have acceptable edge retention, better toughness and corrosion resistance than higher end steels. I have seriously abused a 420hc dagger and I couldn't break it. Not even the point(!) and aus 8a is pretty much the same. Say you bought a $400 spartan fixed blade and you break it day 9 while batoning in the woods. A $160 SOG seal team is more likely to withstand the abuse and still be useable. S30vn is a single lifetime steel. You are more likely to pass down an aus 8a knife to your kids. Long story short aus 8 and company are made to last.

So far so good on my old Sog Trident with Aus-8. It does sharpen easily even with my cheapo Lansky. Been reading up on steels as best I can. Aus-10 seems to be decent quality.

I'm just wondering why Sog is still using AUS-8 on some of their more premium knives? I really don't understand how anybody can be satisfied paying $100+ for some of the worst knife steel out there.
Solution :
don't ask, don't buy
SOG Premium knives

In 2021 SOG started discontinuing old AUS 8 models and bringing in new ones of much higher quality and better steels. Many of their pocketknives are now D2 or S35VN and their premium fixed blades have now switched to S35VN as well. Prices are a little higher than before, but they have definately taken customer opinions into consideration and released their new products aimed at satisfying those opinions.

Good to know Asher. My latest Sog folder has D2. Gladly pay more for the superior steel that will hold an edge longer.

Good to know Asher. My latest Sog folder has D2. Gladly pay more for the superior steel that will hold an edge longer.

I find that most of my D2 blades are really hard to get a good edge on... At least AUS8 takes a great edge quickly, even if it requires more frequent sharpening. I'm on the fence about D2.... I don't quite hate it yet, but I seem to be able to sharpen more premium steels easier than D2. It's frustrating. Niolox is another steel that gives me fits sharpening, but I've only got one of those, I have quite a few D2.

I find that most of my D2 blades are really hard to get a good edge on... At least AUS8 takes a great edge quickly, even if it requires more frequent sharpening. I'm on the fence about D2.... I don't quite hate it yet, but I seem to be able to sharpen more premium steels easier than D2. It's frustrating. Niolox is another steel that gives me fits sharpening, but I've only got one of those, I have quite a few D2.
Yeah that's what I heard about D-2 through reviews. My new Sog Trident AT came quite sharp [just got it] so hopefully will hold the edge. Not too hard on my knives anyway. Thanks for comments

Aus8 is a Japanese budget steel most commonly seen in budget friendly knives. In my experience it is actually quite good if it is actually sourced from Japan and then properly heat treated. In my experience it is tough and easy to sharpen, quickly takes a working edge without excessive effort, but does dull quickly under use. It is the LOWEST grade steel I consider acceptable these days in a working knife. This combination of characteristics is entirely appropriate in a knife intended for harsh field use where access to sharpening tools might be limited. You can sharpen Aus8 on a brick if you need to.

It is not, however, a super steel. Nor is it a high end or middle of the road steel. It is a good budget steel and should be priced accordingly.

My favorite steels are "budget" steels 420hc and aus 8a they both have acceptable edge retention, better toughness and corrosion resistance than higher end steels. I have seriously abused a 420hc dagger and I couldn't break it. Not even the point(!) and aus 8a is pretty much the same. Say you bought a $400 spartan fixed blade and you break it day 9 while batoning in the woods. A $160 SOG seal team is more likely to withstand the abuse and still be useable. S30vn is a single lifetime steel. You are more likely to pass down an aus 8a knife to your kids. Long story short aus 8 and company are made to last.
why ya say s30v is a single lifetime steel? I'm not following your reasoning on this? you're basing it on what? so im clear im asking to learn not to pick a fight. thank you.....

Hey, the whole reason I made an account here was to learn, share what I know, and get corrected if I'm wrong!😂 What I meant is that knives made of the softer middle of the road and budget steels are more likely to survive a lifetime of use. I know there are factors that play in to that, I.e. heat treat, blade profile, etc... But in general, my SOG Seal pup will take more abuse without serious damage than a Spartan blades Ronin would. Don't get me wrong, I love a premium steel as much as any other knife nut (s30v included), but I never use my premium knives for 99% of the knife work I do because I know I'll chip or snap it, while my $13 440a pocketknife won't. I know there are exceptions, and the steel industry is working very hard to correct those weaknesses, but in most cases I believe you'll find this to be the case.

According to https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10...ness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/, D2 has slightly better edge retention than AUS-8, but AUS-8 has better corrosion resistance and toughness.

AUS8 is a hell of a lot easier to sharpen than D2 - but so are most steels other than the "super steels". Depending on the brand and the heat treatment, I personally would prefer AUS8 over D2, just because AUS8 meets my minimum requirements for edge retention, it's easy to sharpen and D2 is a PITA to sharpen.

It used to be said D2 takes a terrible edge and holds it forever. For me, it’s a finicky steel to sharpen. I can get it sharp, but it takes finesse. You’ve really got to f*%# with it a lot to get it very sharp.

Back