AUS8A SRK "Destruction Test" video

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by ursamajor, Sep 5, 2014.

1. crom

crom

Mar 29, 2007
    When did CS start Thai production? Are you sure about that claim? Taiwan yes and those are fantastic knives but Thailand I have never heard about.

2. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    My dollar limit for any knife is generally $200. I have some knives in my collection that tend to go for more than that, but they are acquired through private party purchases, or trades. That said, I have handled and used a Busse before via pass around, and I was not blown away. It was the only Busse that I have ever going attractive (TGLB). It is a serxy knife, but not as good a slicer as I would have thought. I just can't see spending that kind of coin for that knife. I can buy a good gun for those prices.

The only, and I mean only knife that I could see myself spending big money on (if my budget allowed) is a Demko AD-10.

3. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    That video resolved some lingering questions that I had. Thanks.

4. thombrogan

thombrogan

Nov 16, 2002
    Quoted for Aaauggggh! Whoa! Aaugh!

5. G. Scott H.

G. Scott H.

Jan 9, 2006
    Lol. I didn't even notice that. Good catch! :thumbup::D

6. kerberosWXIV

kerberosWXIV

Dec 30, 2012
    AUS8A is often undeservedly labelled as 'cheap', has no hi-tech metallurgy 'lineage' to boast about and thus had to prove itself time and again. Not even CS proof videos and a lot of private reviewers seem sufficient to convince the doubters/haters out there. AUS8A is like the background/blue collar worker, the nameless one that get the job done without glamor and hype. Thanks for the great video link, btw.

7. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    There are steel snobs just like there are maker snobs...

Many get caught up in all the hype and bs, especially in the forums, and can't see the forest through the trees. In many cases, they really haven't used a particular steel or brand enough, if at all, to form an honest opinion...

Those people are missing out, and often times unfairly label a steel or brand as junk. I've owned probably around a dozen CS products over the years, and have yet to have an issue with any of them. The only two I currently have are the Pendelton, and mini Pendelton hunters, and I doubt I will part with them. I can't find a reason to...

8. Mikeynyc

Mikeynyc

Jul 19, 2013
    I would like to see them compare the srk in carbon v compared to the aus8a

9. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Great post. :thumbup:

10. hazy

hazy

Mar 1, 2013
    Awesome video. I've found CS does a really great heat treat on their AUS8, my recon folders hold their edge's quite well imo. I forgot all about the SRK and now I really have to have one :)

If you like the AD-10 you might want to check out the Fantoni Hide, it looks a lot like the AD-10 (maybe its a Demko design, I dunno) and costs much less.

11. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    ursamajor - "Not even my Fallkniven A1 could come close to approaching the fit and finish off my AUS8 SRK"

I was under the impression that all AUS8 SRKs were made in Taiwan using Japanese steel.
    Were there AUS8 SRKs that were made in Japan?

FlowerOflife - "is the blade production in China and Thailand".
    Do you mean Taiwan? Or is CS actually making anything in Thailand?

12. UCPOPO

UCPOPO

Dec 2, 2010
    Both of Cold Steels current SRK offerings (AUS8A and SanMaiIII) are made in Japan. Cold Steel has a few limited models that are made in China but most are made in Taiwan or Japan. There's a big difference in Taiwan and Chinese made in my opinion. Cold Steel has never manufactured in Thailand.

13. KenHash

KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Taiwan and Thailand are two totally different counties. And Thailand isn't known as a manufacturer of knives, or anything steel for
    that matter. Taiwan (The Republic of China) is a democratic country and allied with the U.S., so I have no reason to not support Taiwan politically. I would much rather buy a Taiwan manufactured knife than a China (Peoples Rep of China) made knife, for both political and
    quality reasons. My knife collection is all U.S. and Japan made with the exception of a Cold Steel Ti Lite made in Taiwan, the quality
    of which is quite impressive.

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Feb 27, 2010
    It always makes me laugh when people confuse Taiwan with China. Kinda like thinking Canada is the US.

15. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    Mine is stamped "JAPAN" right under "COLD STEEL" on the ricasso. I own, or have owned 5 Japanese made cold steel knives. The AUS8 SRK (still own), an AUS8 Steel Tiger (still own), a San Mai III Master Hunter (still own) a San Mai III Trail Master (still own) and a San Man III Natchez Bowie (traded for a wheel gun, and I miss it).

All of them have PERFECT fit and finish. No flaws what so ever in grinds, nor any uneven surfaces.

The Natchez in particular was a work of art. The craftsmanship justifies the price. It is clear that the Japanese made Cold Steel knives are labor intensive.

16. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    Mine is stamped "JAPAN" right under "COLD STEEL" on the ricasso. I own, or have owned 5 Japanese made cold steel knives. The AUS8 SRK (still own), an AUS8 Steel Tiger (still own), a San Mai III Master Hunter (still own) a San Mai III Trail Master (still own) and a San Man III Natchez Bowie (traded for a wheel gun, and I miss it).

All of them have PERFECT fit and finish. No flaws what so ever in grinds, nor any uneven surfaces.

The Natchez in particular was a work of art. The craftsmanship justifies the price. It is clear that the Japanese made Cold Steel knives are labor intensive. And then take my SM3 TM...even the lamination line is perfectly symmetrical on both sides, Not even 99% of the Fallkniven Thors floating around out there can say that.

17. Black_Hat

Black_Hat

May 21, 2001
    Many thanks for the video!

I remember when AUS-8 was a performance steel, an upgrade from ATS-34 but hey, I been around a while. I do not own many AUS-8 Cold Steel fixed blade knives (might be wrong on that now that I think about it) and have way more blades in my man cave than any one needs. Cold Steel makes a quality product that few others can compare to at a similar price point.

they perform when needed.

18. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Maybe something to do with their business practices or elitist attitude?

19. Muaddib1116

Muaddib1116

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm pretty excited. I just found a crazy closeout deal on some AUS-8 SRK's, so I ordered one, it should arrive next week. This video really gave me some confidence in this knife. Now I just need to find somewhere that's selling the O-1 Recon Scouts.

20. FlowerOfLife

FlowerOfLife

Jan 16, 2014
    its called auto correct...