Australian knife customs/import rules?

I sold a Direware flipper to someone in Australia on Ebay, to be mailed via Ebay's Global Shipping Program. However, when Ebay received it they refused to ship in on, saying that one-handed opening knives aren't allowed to be shipped to Australia.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, given the pics and videos of knives I see from Australians. However, I wanted to confirm - is there any reason why Australian customs would seize a titanium framelock flipper?

They shouldn't have stopped it on those grounds, as those laws were recently removed. I'm not sure what the deal is with global shipping as we don't have it here as of yet.
Either they are behind in the news (by a year) or they just don't want the risk of shipping knives, and its more on the export side than the import side.
Each state down here still has their own laws, but as far as I know, its mostly on possession, not ownership, so its the buyers problem.

They shouldn't have stopped it on those grounds, as those laws were recently removed. I'm not sure what the deal is with global shipping as we don't have it here as of yet.
Either they are behind in the news (by a year) or they just don't want the risk of shipping knives, and its more on the export side than the import side.
Each state down here still has their own laws, but as far as I know, its mostly on possession, not ownership, so its the buyers problem.

Thanks! To confirm, then, if I ship it to the buyer myself, it should clear customs?

For a framelock flipper? yeah. They more worry about the normal baddies, daggers, trench knives, balis, switches.... you get the idea.

Back