available stuff

Andy-

thanks! The necker challenge was a really fun one to get creative with. Hopefully I'll be able to get more work out there soon!

Would be interesting to see what you 2 would come up with a collaberation if you could. In my book, you two are just dead on with ergos and well rounded work knives.

THat would be interesting. Hard to fathom where to go with it. Maybe a set of knives at some point.

Now, with this one- provisionally called tyhe HellCleaver because I have no idea what else to call it- I'm debating the sheath. I'd love Jason to do kydex on this puppy, but I'd also love Sierra to do an explorer sheath...... decisions, decisions....

Currently this one is not an order and is slated to be available after a bit more steel wool, bluing touch up, oiling, and the sheath. Depending on sheath decisions, likely in the $220 neighborhood.

Overall, length is 13 1/2 inches with a blade about 8 3/4 inches long. 8670M steel (think thick 15N20, sorta) 3/16 thick through the tang. Some little taper going on. Full convex ground, with a forge finish hand rubbed down and then bluing on all the steel.

Handle is caramel micarta, with blued steel pins.

Weight is about 22 1/2 ounces. Beefy beefy.

514-WIP-01.jpg

514-WIP-02.jpg

514-WIP-03.jpg

514-WIP-05.jpg

514-WIP-06.jpg

Koyote Girl will have it tomorrow for sheath work. Which, of course, means there's time to pick a sheath and color :D --The Explorer type sheath with the retaining strap and adjustable belt hanger is going to the be the best option for this one. A deep pouch expedition style one would end up being difficult to secure really well. Good enough for walking around and hiking, but not horseback riding or acrobatics.

It is awesome, is it available yet?

There's a few more to put up this week! The black gunkote cord wrapped utility is available, and there's a heavy SERE LBK I need to photograph up

I did a Micarta knife.

Mad dog has done some of these and I see them floating around a collector table at the Reno Gun Show all the time. There's things about the MD ones I don't really like, so I had to make one of my own!

It's micarta. It's industrial linen micarta, but it's micarta- not metal. So the edge profile is really steep and not designed for continuous slicing (though it does a fair job on lunchmeat stuff) It is a bit over 1/4 inch thick on the spine of the blade (3/8 through the handle) with a distal taper and a convex blade shape. It's a basic low profile stabbing spearpoint.

The length of the blade is 3 7/8 inches with an overall length of 8 inches.

The sheath is a deep pouch "bag" sheath, no belt loops or extra thickness or protrusions.

Number 517.

Pretty different!

517-01.jpg

517-02.jpg

517-03.jpg

517-04.jpg

This is one of the FKUK knives, with a fully sharpened double edge and a Koyote Girl sheath.

Overall length is 11 1/4 inches with a 5 7/8 inch blade. 1/8 inch 1080 steel, convex grinds for both edges. Smoothed forge finish on the blade.

The handle is generous and fairly thick, caramel micarta with blued steel pins. Tang and spine are blued as well.

The sheath is an Explorer model, done by Sierra (Koyote Girl) - fully double needle hand stitched, double seamed, and bombproof.

serial 518

518-01.jpg

518-02.jpg

518-03.jpg

518-04.jpg

518-05.jpg

How is the work on the Sgian-dubh going. Still really looking forward to owning one of them made my you. Thanks
Joshua Welbaum

Josh- email my gmail (I won't tell you how a 16 month old can delete email. apparentlly THREE clicks manages it) - sietchtabr@gmail.com or send email through BF (same address)

I need to refresh myself on which one here is yours!

This is the first of a group of kitchen knife sets I'm working up. This one is a pair- smaller Santoku and petty knife.

Steel is 7/64 (3/32 plus a half hair) 15N20, recovered saw blade steel. When I got a hold of it it had some rust which, combined with a forge finish and a fair amount of 600 grit polish leaves a nice pattern to the flats. Grind is a high convex taper. Handles on this pair are maple.

The santoku larger blade is 10 1/8 overall with a 5 7/8 blade and is about 1 3/4 inches broad. the petty knife is 9 inches with a 4 1/2 inch blade and has a maximum breadth of 1 1/4 inches.

The finish is 3 coats of tru-oil sanded or steel wooled between cured coats. As with any set of traditional wood and carbon steel kitchen knives, don't soak the handles or the blades, dry well, keep oiled. Block oil (mineral oil) is great stuff, and Briwax is a drying beeswax based concoction that's easy to apply, buff, and should keep the handles looking good for years.

Asking, as a set, $265 shipped.

542-543-01.jpg

542-543-02.jpg

542-543-03.jpg

a smaller skinner/utility-

this one is also 7/64 15N20, with a nice high scandivex. Overall about 8 1/4 inches with a 4 inch blade. Walnut scales and brass tubing pins.

Sierra did a nice job slimming the sheath down on this one. Still strong, but not bulky.

$170, shipped.

540-02.jpg

540-03.jpg

540-04.jpg

540-05.jpg

540-06.jpg

540-07.jpg

a "mountain man utility" type. I sometimes just mess around and make something fairly simplistic and extra rustic. As a small and medium game knife it's hard to beat the compact and slim profile feel. For a smokepole shooter, it's got a lot of the right look.

This one is 7/64 (almost 1/8, but thicker than 3/32) 15N20 saw blade. Nice handle length and blade shape, I think. Handle is a basic cord wrap with hand laid linen cord finished with a mix of linseed and tung oil (dries up nice and solid)

overall 8 inches with a 3 3/4 inch blade.

and a LEFT HANDED ranger sheath. Which isn't as big a deal as you think it is. I'm getting more and more comfortable wearing "backwards" sheaths for some knives and getting used to drawing icepick grip on some. Of course, if you are a leftie like me, it's the right-way-sheath!

$135 shipped

537-01.jpg

537-04.jpg

537-05.jpg

537-06.jpg

Bog oak leuku-

10 3/8 OAL, 1/8 1084 steel with a fairly high scandivex grind. Blade is right at 5.5. This is one of my bog oak handles. This is ~20k year old, really semi-pretrified. Eats sanding materials like you wouldn't believe (it's like trying to sand and shape a coarse AO sharpening block!) Handle has had multiple coats (I lost count) of tru-oil, though the wood itself will last forever without it.

Pins are a carbon steel so the bluing can all match.

Sheath is by Sierra, explorer model.

$200, shipped, regular discounts always apply

535-01.jpg

535-03.jpg

535-05.jpg

535-06.jpg

535-07.jpg

Great group of knives! Man, I wish wifey was working full time...:( ...that utility would be mine!

Hopefully soon!

Back