How do I? Avoid email robots/trolls

RayseM

Platinum Member
Now that I know how to create a one word hot link in BF am I opening myself up to all kinds of grief if I create a hot email link by linking the word HERE, for example?

Up until now, I have been simply typing in my email name but then spelling out the address so as not to make the email an obvious target. Is this really the only way to eliminate (minimize) the potential of bots finding my email address?

Thanks for sharing what you know.

Ray

Now that I know how to create a one word hot link in BF am I opening myself up to all kinds of grief if I create a hot email link by linking the word HERE, for example?

Up until now, I have been simply typing in my email name but then spelling out the address so as not to make the email an obvious target. Is this really the only way to eliminate (minimize) the potential of bots finding my email address?

Thanks for sharing what you know.

Ray

Considering your email address will still show up in the text of the post (just formatted to be invisible) I doubt linking your email that way will prevent you from spam or other things. When you quote someone that's hotlinked something to a bit of text, you'll see in the unformatted text in the reply box the [link] tags include the link in its entirety even if you don't see it once you post the reply.

Example to show in your reply

RayseM RayseM Don't put your email address in your threads at all. Anyone browsing the internet can stop by and see it.

PM (conversations) is obviously the best way to share emails, yet that is not an option when conversing with registered users. Posting a Profile Message with your email is your best option for two reasons. 1st, you can always delete it after email contact is made. Secondly, someone must have a BladeForums account to view a members profile.

The added step is well worth the extra security.

Thank you both for the replies. Spelling out the address has never (yet) presented any issues.
Wonder if I'm overly concerned o_O

Ray

Spam harvesters are able to read email addresses off images unless you obfuscate with CAPTCHA style methods. PM is best for privacy, followed by some sort of IM / Skype / Whatsapp or similar. Worst case, setup a burner email address

We've had members post their email address in a For Sale Add. Which enabled a scammer to contact them directly without being registered on Bladeforums. They were subsequently ripped off.

I have had email contact from folks about a sale BUT I NEVER even discuss a sale with them without them telling me
who they are on BF.
No member/ no trade feedback/no sale. A simple precaution. To the point of this thread, I shouldn't even be giving them that much of a chance to contact me.

Ray

Back