AWESOME Pine Cone Scales!

I saw this on one of my knifemaker friends Facebook page and wanted to share. It never occurred to me that someone might use stabilized pinecone as a scale material

882598_10202537581389170_1356075070_o.jpg

I agree! Even the masters find this intriguing:

Kressler_KL103-web.jpg

Coop

I agree! Even the masters find this intriguing:

Kressler_KL103-web.jpg

Coop

I remember seeing this particular one on Knife Legends, that being the very first time I'd ever seen stabilized pine cone. A really special look, something one definitely remembers.

Cool looking stuff. I wonder how it will do in the market as a handle material. Do you know how stable it is?

Wow that is very cool looking stuff! I've seen it for sale at a show or two but never bought any. Will have look for it next time.

Sean

That's beautiful work. The interesting thing about the pine cone scales is that if you turn the other side out , you get another just as impressive of a scale with a totally different look. Well done!

Gary

Great question Jon.
Kind of risky on an expensive knife. Are we just assuming it will hold up over the long term?

Ankrom was at The Branson Show this year and I asked him about the pinecone scales. He told me that they are made with the same urethane that is used in bowling balls so durability shouldn't be an issue.

Gary

Back