AWESOME Pine Cone Scales!

That is stunning. I feel guilty cursing those trees where I grew up in MO. We live in truly revolutionary times in the knife world.

I got this a year ago . Wade Hougham made this one and a few more of different colors. Nice knifes. KT

Attachments

• Piney 005.jpg
    Piney 005.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 61
Am I the only one who is bothered by all the voids and the open areas between the casting resin and the pinecone? (referring to the 1st photo)
It is a cool idea and a dramatic look but I would want to know if the pinecone was actually stabilized before it was placed in the casting resin.

As per my post yesterday, I have the same concerns.

Anyone know the approx cost of a set of these scales?

Besides the potential durability/stability issues, in a knife costing thousands of dollars I want something a little more substantial than a 'Pinecone'. Makes sense for a knife maker (from a profit perspective), I guess, if you can sell the collector on it.

Last edited:
Something tells me that Dietmar Kressler is one who would do the appropriate due diligence before handling one of his integrals in this material. And let's face it, a collection of nothing but wood and stag handles gets really, really boring quickly, at least IMHO.

Then again, I can't imagine having more than one "pinecone", either.

I'll submit that the pinecone has a lot of area between the 'leaves' and the quality of the epoxy and microfiller is really what qualifies the durability.

It's probably notably more stable than fragile mammoth tooth scales, and they are found in many collector grade knives.

Coop

Durability aside, it's a pinecone. I've also seen stabilized corncobs. Neither of those particularly scream high end collector knife to me.
It is a lttle perplexing to me to see the Kressler integral with pinecone scales....that's just my opinion.

Tad

Its humble origins don't take away from the visual impact - the value of a material changes drastically over time, and with use. Remember that aluminum used to be more valuable than gold.

I'd love to see this done with fossilized cones as well.

I respect the search for the inspired, regardless of where it leads, and that someone thought to look in something like the pinecone, is genius.

Last edited:
I'll submit that the pinecone has a lot of area between the 'leaves' and the quality of the epoxy and microfiller is really what qualifies the durability.

It's probably notably more stable than fragile mammoth tooth scales, and they are found in many collector grade knives.

Coop

Perhaps more stable, however a 10,000 year old tooth from a Woolly Mammoth is certainly more intriguing that a pinecone that one can pick hundreds off the ground in an afternoon.

woolly_mammoth-1280x960_zps6eeff462.jpg

Durability aside, it's a pinecone. I've also seen stabilized corncobs. Neither of those particularly scream high end collector knife to me.
It is a lttle perplexing to me to see the Kressler integral with pinecone scales....that's just my opinion.

Tad

Same here Tad, makes me wonder what's next.

Last edited:
Cool looking stuff. I wonder how it will do in the market as a handle material.

Tad

Perhaps more stable, however a 10,000 year old tooth from a Woolly Mammoth is certainly more intriguing that a pinecone that one can pick hundreds off the ground in an afternoon. . . . Same here Tad, makes me wonder what's next.

Interesting points. A pine cone does indeed seem to be humble. They are everywhere and have just about zero value.

Then again, we have seen many multi-thousand dollar pieces with relatively cheap and nondescript mass produced manmade handle materials like micarta. Pine cone . . . micarta . . . pine cone . . . micarta . . . . I think I would choose pine cone about 100 times out of 100.

On the other hand, while it is a cool novelty now, if a ton of pine cone handled knives appear and the novelty and uniqueness wears off, then what do you have? So I still prefer beautifully figured wood handles. But I admit that I have a wood fetish.

As far as stability . . . for the one piece that I actually held in my hands, it was almost as much epoxy as pine cone. One could call it epoxy impregnanted pine cone. One could just about as easily call it hardened epoxy with a pine cone encapsulated inside. Personally, I would not be super worried about the stability.

Back