Awl Uses

Tok

Tried to do a search on this but can't really find the answer. What uses can I put an awl into? I know that it is for making holes, but so can other sharp objects. Can anyone tell me what else it can be used for? If Victornix chose it to be one features out of a relatively "simple" model like the Soldier, I think that there's gotta be some importance about it. Thanks for the info in advance.

Tok said:
Tried to do a search on this but can't really find the answer. What uses can I put an awl into? I know that it is for making holes, but so can other sharp objects. Can anyone tell me what else it can be used for? If Victornix chose it to be one features out of a relatively "simple" model like the Soldier, I think that there's gotta be some importance about it. Thanks for the info in advance.

While it's true that you can make a hole with a blade, an awl is better suited to this task.
Making a small hole with a wide blade is tough, because the width simply makes a wide hole before you get through the material if the material is thick. Also, the tip of a knife is weak (blade is thin) and could be bent/damaged if you try and force it through tough material. It will at least be made dull because you are scraping, rather than cutting.

On the other hand, the less-wide, but thicker awl has a much stronger tip and a small radius, so you can make smaller holes and use more force. It is usually sharpened with a strong, thick, chisel edge more appropriate for the twising motion you use to make said hole.

Also, most vic awls have holes, which can be used to guide twine etc. thru the holes so you can "sew" and repair something in a pinch.

Other implements can make holes, but not nearly as easily...

I think the only use I've ever put my Vic's awl to is the creation of a new hole in a leather belt. The cutting edge does a neater job than a straight punch in that it allows the creation of a proper hole without stretching the material.

Larry S.

Awl uses:
Bore holes
scribe lines
ice pick
reaching into tight places
cleaning finger nails

Paul

I the old days when we used more leather and less plastics an awl had more everyday use, I still remember things like school packs with leather and metal fittings.

I like an awl that comes out the end of the knife rather that perpendicular down the middle, it´s more comfortable to use and more versatile, as a scraper, etc.

The Vic awls with a needle hole can be used for stitching leather.

I find a nice sharp Awl/Punch essential !!

Makin starter holes for screws and for drilling.... gauging depth of holes.... stabbing through thin sheets of wood/metal to use the saw....opening new tubes of adhesive.... breaking glass/ceramics.... reaching.... scraping.... scribing.... etc etc :)

Having it hidden away safely in a multi means I dont need to carry a seperate one which will keep poking me !! :D

Victorinox are clued up on how useful an Awl is .... Leatherman on the other hand are sadly lacking (a can opener instead of an awl on the Charge :barf: )

I've used mine for starting holes in sheet rock, then pushing those little plastic inserts to accept screws. Along with most of the previously mentione uses.

Mike

My awl has been used to make new holes in my belt. But I've found it to be useful for cleaning out pipes, poking stuff out from between my teeth (after cleaning it off good and making sure the wife can't see me doing it. LOL) and when I replace the blades or pull the dull blades off my chipper shredder I use it to clean out the allen head screws of plant fiber so I can get my wrench in there to get the screws out. It is also a pretty good scribe on softer materials, easily used like a pencil.

I've used my awl on my Squirt P4 to open pumpkin seeds (among numerous other things) which works great and if you slip you want cut yourself into shreds like if you were using a knife. I always thought the real purpose of an awl was to mark or scratch a line on wood so you would have a guide to go by when your sawed it... maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

Tok,
Upon moving into college I had two uses on the very first day for the awl! One was drilling a hole into a wooden board, and then using the screwdriver to screw in a dartboard, and the seconed use was the same, but for a bar mirror. It drills very deep holes in wood fairly quickly.

I didn't see it mentioned, but another use is as a scraper for a magnessium fire starter. Use the awl to scrap the magnessium chips, and then use it to make the necessary sparks with the rod.
-Kevin

Back