Axe heads from the recycling center

Can't say for sure but it's likely a Kelly Woodslasher Michigan pattern. Does it have ridges in the eye?

If you're actually in a position of retrieving old axe heads at scrap value 'please stay on the line, your call is important to us'. The majority of these will turn out to be duds (ie little or no profitable resale) but your chance of uncovering a 'diamond-in-the-rough' is much better than most of us. Pictures really do help. And thanks for taking the time to do this.

I do not see any ridges in the eye. I looked up the Kelly Woodslasher, and it does look similar in shape to some of those. It sure was painted red at some point, too. Other pics of Woodslashers don't seem to have the same stamps, though, but idk. This one just has an "I" and then I think it's a "TG" or maybe "T6" or "T0." I'm not sure if it comes through in the photos, but she really has a really nice figure; beautiful curves which somehow blend both concave and convex forms. I am really curious what this thing is.

Yeah this scrap pile... it's a literal pile of old axe heads... I picked through it and I am not sure (my wife was impatient to leave, you know), but I think I got the best ones that were in the pile. Lots of them were completely spent. There were lots of splitting mauls. I will probably have a look each time I go unload my recyclables. I will post up pics any time I find more that seem worthwhile. They have other piles there of sledgehammers, pick axes, lots of cool stuff.

The Plumb db is in excellent condition; I can't wait until I find a good handle for it!
The Homesteader is 1.75 lbs. and it seems like it was never sharpened after it came out of the factory.
The other is another Collins, 3.25 lbs. I filed off the mushrooming and I am in the process of hafting 'er up.

Last edited:
If you're actually in a position of retrieving old axe heads at scrap value 'please stay on the line, your call is important to us'. The majority of these will turn out to be duds (ie little or no profitable resale) but your chance of uncovering a 'diamond-in-the-rough' is much better than most of us. Pictures really do help. And thanks for taking the time to do this.

This must be a rare scenario. The "pick pile" as it's called at my local redemption and transfer station has half bicycles, freezers and bar bell weight benches etc...

What a great opportunity

I do not see any ridges in the eye. I looked up the Kelly Woodslasher, and it does look similar in shape to some of those. It sure was painted red at some point, too. Other pics of Woodslashers don't seem to have the same stamps, though, but idk. This one just has an "I" and then I think it's a "TG" or maybe "T6" or "T0." I'm not sure if it comes through in the photos, but she really has a really nice figure; beautiful curves which somehow blend both concave and convex forms. I am really curious what this thing is.

Yeah this scrap pile... it's a literal pile of old axe heads... I picked through it and I am not sure (my wife was impatient to leave, you know), but I think I got the best ones that were in the pile. Lots of them were completely spent. There were lots of splitting mauls. I will probably have a look each time I go unload my recyclables. I will post up pics any time I find more that seem worthwhile. They have other piles there of sledgehammers, pick axes, lots of cool stuff.

The Plumb db is in excellent condition; I can't wait until I find a good handle for it!
The Homesteader is 1.75 lbs. and it seems like it was never sharpened after it came out of the factory.
The other is another Collins, 3.25 lbs. I filed off the mushrooming and I am in the process of hafting 'er up.
The blue collins head is a later mann produced axe from the 70's likely and should be decent, but that homestead ( was a Collins axe line but if Collins itself became just a line then homestead couldn't really be considered a Collins axe anymore ) is probably a fairly poor axe made in the 80's and potentially made in Mexico at that.

The blue collins head is a later mann produced axe from the 70's likely and should be decent, but that homestead ( was a Collins axe line but if Collins itself became just a line then homestead couldn't really be considered a Collins axe anymore ) is probably a fairly poor axe made in the 80's and potentially made in Mexico at that.

Hickory n steel; great name. The little blue one is the Homestead. It know it was made in the USA by Mann because it says Lewiston, PA on the label.
The other Collins at 3.25 lbs I am pretty sure is also a USA made Mann implement. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they bother stamping the ones from Mexico. Either way, it may not come through in the picture, but it is apparent that the steel is of a different quality than the made in Mexico variety. It's not painted either; just a nice patina.

Ironic: if the TG 3.75 pounder is also a Mann, as suspected in that Hatchet ID thread, then out of the whole axe head pile I came across, all 3 of the ones I picked up that day ended up being Mann made.

Last edited:
Hickory n steel; great name. The little blue one is the Homestead. It know it was made in the USA by Mann because it says Lewiston, PA on the label.
The other Collins at 3.25 lbs I am pretty sure is also a USA made Mann implement. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't they bother stamping the ones from Mexico. Either way, it may not come through in the picture, but it is apparent that the steel is of a different quality than the made in Mexico variety. It's not painted either; just a nice patina.

Ironic: if the TG 3.75 pounder is also a Mann, as suspected in that Hatchet ID thread, then out of the whole axe head pile I came across, all 3 of the ones I picked up that day ended up being Mann made.

Well, there are late production axes that have an M on the back. This is widely considered to stand for Mann, but also speculated by some to mean Mexico.
Somewhere there's information from a former Mann employee who said that this M was in use or still in use at a time when they were secretly sourcing some heads from Mexico. So some late Mann era axes can be Mexican made, they're different than the current collins stuff but likely not in quality.
I was just letting you know that the collins marked axe could've been made in Mexico , because obviously much newer than that blue PA produced axe.
Even if it does turn out to have been made in Mexico though, I'm sure it'll still split wood pretty well.

Last edited:
Well, there are late production axes that have an M on the back. This is widely considered to stand for Mann, but also speculated by some to mean Mexico.
Somewhere there's information from a former Mann employee who said that this M was in use or still in use at a time when they were secretly sourcing some heads from Mexico. So some late Mann era axes can be Mexican made, they're different than the current collins stuff but likely not in quality.
I was just letting you know that the collins marked axe could've been made in Mexico , because obviously much newer than that blue PA produced axe.
Even if it does turn out to have been made in Mexico though, I'm sure it'll still split wood pretty well.

Right on; that's good info. It happens that there is no M stamp on this one.

Right on; that's good info. It happens that there is no M stamp on this one.

That could mean it was made by Mann before the m stamp came about or after and definitely made in Mexico.
You're just gonna have to hang it and use it.
If the steel seems to perform well than there you go.

Either way it costed you next to nothing, and the current Mexico made axes are over 20$ so it's a good deal.

I was back dropping off my recyclables today and I picked up this thing:
7rHPWIM.jpg

Xa8ZjnP.jpg

I guess it is a G. White
http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/White (G.W.) Axe Co..html

Could this really be as old as 1930 or older?

You guys think this could be worth very much if restored?

There are a million old axes. And if a collector buys an axe he wants it unrestored.
It's doubtful that 'restoration' will add value for a collector. Exception would be very highly skilled craftsman working with a highly sought after axe like a Black Raven.

definitely worth doing but cant give you a price or i'd be breakin a rule, besides i dont know a price

LOL

There are a million old axes. And if a collector buys an axe he wants it unrestored.
It's doubtful that 'restoration' will add value for a collector. Exception would be very highly skilled craftsman working with a highly sought after axe like a Black Raven.

Thanks for the input!

Not sure where your recycle center is...but I wish it it was in my town LOL!

Yeah, Miller, based on some of what I have seen from the 'followed me home' thread, I think you would love this place! I will try to post in that thread the saw I picked up there as well...

Back