Axe info

Thanks Murph. I guess they were made in Indiana. I thought it might be Evansville Tool Works, but examples of those I've found were stamped as such.

Here is a odd one I came across. High Speed Steel Tool Co. Green Bay Wis. I have found nothing on them.
P1010006-005.JPG

Here is a odd one I came across. High Speed Steel Tool Co. Green Bay Wis. I have found nothing on them.
P1010006-005.JPG

Found only one mention of a similar head sold by online auction in 2007:
"This Old Double Bit Ax Head measures 9 3/4" long x 1 1/4" deep with 1 edge being 4 1/8" and the other measures 4 1/4"... it was made in Green Bay, Wisconsin by the "High Speed Steel Tool Co."

Finding any information beyond this was challenging. There was a New York based company with a similar name, the "United States High Speed Steel and Tool Corporation", as reported here in 1920:

books

quoted from Steam, October 1920, page 114

Interesting that they had a new process of casting high speed steel tools (instead of forging). This company evidently went bankrupt and all assets were sold off by 1924.

It looks like a different company was formed in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in early 1922, called "High Speed Steel & Tool Co.", which must have made this axe (or had it made for them).

books

from The American Machine and Tool Record, February 1922, page 71

Based on the paucity of information about this company, and the lack of other examples floating around the internet, I would guess that this axe head is quite rare. And if it's made of high speed steel, I can't help but wonder how it would perform.

I have an old rusty axe head that was given to me recently. I cleaned it up, but can't find any identifying stamps. It looks like some of the Kelly Perfect pics I've seen here, with phantom bevels. Did all of the Kellys have stamps?

I'll try to post a pic, but if my past attempts are any indication, I suck at it.
Thanks.

lightbox

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your help. Sounds like you found them Steve:thumbup:.
Square Peg, here are a couple more picks. It does seem to be cast. It is ugly. Small and heavy, 3lb 10oz. It seems to have had alot of use. I would guess it would make one hell of a good splitter. The head beside it is a old Plumb that has plenty of width.
P1010006-006.JPG
P1010007-003.JPG

What type of axe head is this? I wanted to give it a new look so I etched some flames on it... I'm having trouble finding a 32" handle that fits properly.
PhotoGrid_1365029819431_zpsf2ac2049.jpg

After spending 5 minutes on Google, what I now know about the company is that they picked a popular name.

Yeah, as a lockpicking enthusiast, what immediately pops to mind is Sargent & Greenleaf.
While I seriously doubt they forged axes, what a cool irony if a lock & safe co also built forcible entry tools.

Earlier posts refer to "Eclipse" as a manufacturer, or brand, of axes. What I know of the Eclipse name is that there was a British company that made small one piece hacksaws from alloy round stock well before my time (that being the 1950s-60s) and that have been copied a dozen times over. My dad has one of the originals (says Eclipse on the frame) and any that I've bought or have scoured replaceable blades for over the past 40 years have been made elsewhere. To me it's unusual for a Brit to have invented a dead-simple tool (typically ya gotta leave that to 'murrican ingenuity) but then again if they (whoever came up with the foolproof saw frame idea and called themselves Eclipse) might well have decided to manufacture varying-steel axe heads too.

The initial list places Sandvik of Sweden in the category of defunct axe makers. Is this true? I know they still make 'brush hooks' (I have one) and my dad has a Sandvik-stamped axe that was purchased new in the early 1960s.

steve your axe is a skogmo and gambles hardware store axe hope this helps. They were out of Minnesota.

Back