Axe info

Pioneer axe company was located in Oakland Maine. There were seven axe/ tool companies in Oakland at one point. Pioneer was the last one standing. Closed in 1965-66 time frame.

Any idea what this might be, it is a small lathe hatchet with the faintest marking of an emblem.

5r61Pin.jpg

That's about as good as it gets, the axe is pretty small to be a boy scout hatchet. I'm thinking it was a roofers tool. Although it would probably be good for a little kid, that's what I'm using it for.

All of the marks making the circle in my hatchets emblem are parallel while the Boy Scout emblem's are perpendicular so I'm not so sure that's it but I appreciate your posting so that I could compare. What is the age of your yours there?

Just picked up this small axe for $10. The only markings on it says "Made In W. Germany" so I know it was made prior to '89 I guess. Any other info y'all might provide I would be thankful for. The head is in great shape but the handle is banged up pretty good at the eye. I'm pretty stoked about it though as I've been looking for a smaller axe to work on for a while. My plan is to do a minimal clean up on the head and hang it on a nice unfinished hickory handle, unless of course y'all have a better idea on what I should do.

YdNiJRJ.jpg

Some better pictures of the handle may give us a better clue, but from here a little labor and that handle would be fine. Where are the really damaged areas that you're concerned about?

It has some cracks going up into the eye so I think its mostly a write off. If I could pull the haft from the eye it might be possible to carve out the handle and hang it down an inch or so farther. I included a pic of what is left of the label if that could help with the ID.
hahxqM7.jpg

gUJp5Yq.jpg

Damn shame,I can't help with the axe ID, but I'll dig through the internet and see what I can find.

It is a shame because the handle is made from some really nice looking wood. I have an old Kabar 1207 that looks like it may have doubled for a dog toy that I just pulled apart today and I'm thinking the axe handle might provide a handle for that. With wood so expensive these days it seems like the haft is worth the same as the head. I've got another felling axe with a handle that doesn't quite work for that head but I think I can cut it down for this one.

I try and repurpose handles as well, when I can. From what I remember many W. German exports were paper labeled, so it may be a bit difficult to ID.

It does look like that is the case, it's probably a decent head though right? I'm going to hold on to it if it is. I like the size of it and it seems like a decent axe.

Oh lord yes, it looks to be well made, a file test would determine the steel content, but overall it looks to be of good quality, drop forged so it's monosteel. In terms of condition, under the little bit of surface rust and paint it looks really nice. For $10.00 that's hard to beat.

Just thought of another one I have that I couldn't find any info on-
Ludell, made in Italy
High quality steel 8.5# maul

Last edited:
Any idea what this might be, it is a small lathe hatchet with the faintest marking of an emblem.

5r61Pin.jpg
Just this evening found out the origin of logo on my little camp hatchet that is same as the one shown. Marshall-Wells is company. Based out of Duluth,MN. They made plenty of quality bladed tools.

Back