Axe? Please educate me

Has it been decided yet? I thought it was still up in the air. The good thing about these tactical axes is that there is no handle to worry about hanging. You have to worry about people complaining about grain and tightness, etc. People complaining when it comes loose due to humidity changes, etc. The tactical ones he can just throw some machined ECAM scales on and call it a day! They look much more like something CPK would put out in my opinion.

That was my read as well, as hanging an axe handle seemed like it was outside the normal line for CPK, while doing a full-tang axe with Tero-tuf scales would be all in a day's work.

Seems like there could be some dagger sized drops as well if making a Tactical Hawk out of a single long piece of D3V!!! ;) Heck, depending on the size of the Hawk they could be big enough drops for a field knife.

Been down an axe rabbit hole lately, adding 2 more Gränsfors Bruk models. Luckily all scored from Lamina back when in stock at European prices which were a bit le$$ than in the U.S which all got delivered safely. This is it for me for now till if & when Jo comes on board with a CPK-Axe project.

I understand as to why a few people are wishing for a Tomahawk style hatchet but I'm firmly in the other camp, i.e, the bushcraft/outdoors axe advocates excited about a very robust and practically indestructible CPK-Axe made out of D3V. Having these in front of me, my wish for a Nathan-made-axe is like the Scandinavian Forest Axe but with a slightly shorter haft and a meatier axe head, I need not worry about it being a mean SOB because it will be.

Nathan if you ever wanted to borrow any of these, feel free to hit me up but your Shiv will need to be held in collateral by Jo because you tend to misplace sh*t :p

From left to right: GB #442 Large Splitting Axe ( the older model with shorter haft), GB #430 Scandinavian Forest Axe, GB #420 Small Forest Axe (most favored among stoners) and GB # 415 Wildlife hatchet. The hafts keep getting waxed once a week and the metal/sheathes oiled lightly as a part of maintenance.

20B95F70-0613-439A-9E66-1A0DB7336683.jpeg

Been down an axe rabbit hole lately, adding 2 more Gränsfors Bruk models. Luckily all scored from Lamina back when in stock at European prices which were a bit le$$ than in the U.S which all got delivered safely. This is it for me for now till if & when Jo comes on board with a CPK-Axe project.

I understand as to why a few people are wishing for a Tomahawk style hatchet but I'm firmly in the other camp, i.e, the bushcraft/outdoors axe advocates excited about a very robust and practically indestructible CPK-Axe made out of D3V. Having these in front of me, my wish for a Nathan-made-axe is like the Scandinavian Forest Axe but with a slightly shorter haft and a meatier axe head, I need not worry about it being a mean SOB because it will be.

Nathan if you ever wanted to borrow any of these, feel free to hit me up but your Shiv will need to be held in collateral by Jo because you tend to misplace sh*t :p

From left to right: GB #442 Large Splitting Axe ( the older model with shorter haft), GB #430 Scandinavian Forest Axe, GB #420 Small Forest Axe (most favored among stoners) and GB # 415 Wildlife hatchet. The hafts keep getting waxed once a week and the metal/sheathes oiled lightly as a part of maintenance.

View attachment 1551582

Less wax, more dirt and wood tannins! :p

Didn't know they had a length option now with the large splitter. I have the short one as well and got it because it was close to the Fiskars we keep at the cabin that I've gotten accustomed to.

I used it for a few hours on Monday. It splits well. And despite blowing through a few logs and going into the ground, the edge was in great shape afterwards.

xuC8HkC.jpg

View attachment 1551582

I'll take #430 and #420. Pretty sure I've got your paypal addy on file.... ;)

Less wax, more dirt and wood tannins! :p

Didn't know they had a length option now with the large splitter. I have the short one as well and got it because it was close to the Fiskars we keep at the cabin that I've gotten accustomed to.

I used it for a few hours on Monday. It splits well. And despite blowing through a few logs and going into the ground, the edge was in great shape afterwards.

xuC8HkC.jpg

Adam, regarding the Large (or is it translated to Big?) Splitting Axe, there is a GB model #445 which replaced the #442. The metric differences are stated as 80 cm vs 70 cm (~4") and 100 grams (~3.5 ounces) in the axe head 2.5 kg vs 2.4 kg. You and I appear to open the #442 because of the slightly curved handle shape versus the more straight handle end of the #445.

As far as developing a more natural patina on the wood, you've done great with just the oils from your hands, dirt, silt and other elements :)

I'll take #430 and #420. Pretty sure I've got your paypal addy on file.... ;)

Dave, last I checked that site which I had mentioned before had both of them in stock. I know that you know them to be both reliable and reputable. I received both axes, in separate purchases, in about 10-12 days from Finland to here in CA. Just as a pro tip, use an actual credit card vs PayPal when dealing with an out of country supplier because you are better protected plus you will get a slightly better instant exchange rate since their prices are actually in Euros. Hope that this helps :)

View attachment 1551582
That’s a great bunch of GB axes you’ve got there! :thumbsup:

Dave, last I checked that site which I had mentioned before had both of them in stock. I know that you know them to be both reliable and reputable. I received both axes, in separate purchases, in about 10-12 days from Finland to here in CA. Just as a pro tip, use an actual credit card vs PayPal when dealing with an out of country supplier because you are better protected plus you will get a slightly better instant exchange rate since their prices are actually in Euros. Hope that this helps :)

Thank you! Yeah I'd deal with them in a heartbeat, no worries there. I'm not really in the market right now, but I can sure appreciate that line-up of hardware as well as some of the others shown here.

Good to know on the cc vs pp for overseas. The last purchase from there I did with paypal and thought I got hit a little harder than should have. Thanks :thumbsup:

I'd been tempted by one of their larger axe heads, but they were really too much for me. A camp axe, though - I ordered one last week. It will be a few months before I get it. And then I'll have to make a haft. I should probably start scrounging the wood for it now. Hickory or ash? White oak? Hmmmm.

And here it is a couple of months later. Wow. Highly polished. Any marks are the preservative that I didn't fully wipe off. 3 lb - 5oz on my scale. 6" from the edge to the poll. The eye is roughly 2-1/8" x 7/8" at the top. Now I just need to figure out the haft. Tuatahi shows a 23" handle on theirs. This needs something sexy. Hmmm.

I do have to laugh that the package was marked 'fragile' - it was very well packed - rubber edge guard, wrapped tightly in several layers of newspaper, then in a box with wooden spacers for support, a double layer of bubble wrap, and then the outer plastic shipping bag.

PXL_20210524_173159268_R.jpg

PXL_20210524_172424831_R.jpg

Back