Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Got all my recents together for a photo shoot. L to R / top to bottom. Unknown Maine, Emerson & Stevens, OS Rixford, Snow & Nealley, Säter Banko Taz, Rixford MI, KATCO, NE Old Yank

d75f794d19836538f11913a956bcf21a.jpg
2326f23804c078ba60fb37c02b89f78b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love that 4th handle from the Left. Been trying to duplicate that color on Hickory Handle for while and can't get the same look as those nice old weathered handles. Nice Collection!

Last edited:
Made my first tomahawk last weekend for a friend of mine's birthday. I have a buddy that is a blacksmith. He let me use his shop and taught me the finer points of tomahawk making.

Can't wait to make another one.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

My Kelly Works Woodslasher 3 1/2lb on shorty (cedar axe)handle.
4d365e94cf335e9c20cfd951c822595c.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

7d68b3c00bcde39d8e9f2930f4d81f40.jpg
458da71618e8bc73ae6cf99f012038b2.jpg

MY Coldsteel trail boss stripped and blued with a sheath/strap on the strap a ferro rod loop and a snug loop for an opinel 8 (carbon) :) the hickory handle was charred lightly and coated with a leather neck laced up in the back

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Got all my recents together for a photo shoot. L to R / top to bottom. Unknown Maine, Emerson & Stevens, OS Rixford, Snow & Nealley, Säter Banko Taz, Rixford MI, KATCO, NE Old Yank

Yer killin' me, Coop!

Kelly Works Vulcan 4.5 lb swamper I was working on.
2luxjdd.jpg

Had to run over to the axe handle store to pick up 36 in. handle
2q0299d.jpg

Got her finished up last night
nygpax.jpg

Hello sir. Could you please tell me what the second one down with the long white handle is? It is stunning, and I'm intrigued by it. Thank you sir.

Cold steel viking axe :)

Haven't began modding it yet, comes like that from the company. Very affordable too!

7d68b3c00bcde39d8e9f2930f4d81f40.jpg
458da71618e8bc73ae6cf99f012038b2.jpg

MY Coldsteel trail boss stripped and blued with a sheath/strap on the strap a ferro rod loop and a snug loop for an opinel 8 (carbon) :) the hickory handle was charred lightly and coated with a leather neck laced up in the back

I hope you don't mind me memorising that design, it's brilliant! you've done a fine job and I'd love to attempt something similar at some point.

This isn't very impressive but It's my first attempt at axe restoration and leather work so I'm kindof happy with it. This is a Collins I've had laying around for 20 years. I picked up a handle at the local hardware store and sanded all the nasty finish off of it, then I put some Black walnut stain on it for a weathered look, then a few coats of boiled linseed oil. First axe I've hung, it turned out pretty good. Tonight I made the leather sheath so it does not dull itself living behind the seat of my old truck, I still need to trim the leather some. It was fun, looking forward to finding some more old ones to clean up.

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

This isn't very impressive but It's my first attempt at axe restoration and leather work so I'm kindof happy with it. This is a Collins I've had laying around for 20 years. I picked up a handle at the local hardware store and sanded all the nasty finish off of it, then I put some Black walnut stain on it for a weathered look, then a few coats of boiled linseed oil. First axe I've hung, it turned out pretty good. Tonight I made the leather sheath so it does not dull itself living behind the seat of my old truck, I still need to trim the leather some. It was fun, looking forward to finding some more old ones to clean up.

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

I have some bad news for you friend

I have some bad news for you friend

Yep. Unfortunately that head is on upside down. Pull the wedge, flip the head, do a little fitting, and re-wedge. Use the An Ax to grind video and/or PDF as a guide and you'll be good to go!

Also, you can sand the leather edges just like you would with wood to get nice clean lines.

Well dang. Guess I get to try again. :)

[edit]

I flipped it over, i'm going to call this a rookie mistake! :) I had to work on the handle quite a bit with a rasp, and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. I might start from scratch with a new handle but first I need to try it out.

Here is a pic.

IMG_7188.JPG

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me memorising that design, it's brilliant! you've done a fine job and I'd love to attempt something similar at some point.
Thank I love it
You should see my bk2 and the 4 carry options it allows :)

Well dang. Guess I get to try again. :)

[edit]

I flipped it over, i'm going to call this a rookie mistake! :) I had to work on the handle quite a bit with a rasp, and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it or not. I might start from scratch with a new handle but first I need to try it out.

Here is a pic.

IMG_7188.JPG

Thanks!
Rob

What does the top look like? Hanging an axe takes a lot of work.

Back