Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Sorry for the picture quality. The double but I posted above going to work on a recently fallen cedar. If you're not familiar with big southern cedar trees that are a creation of the axe devil himself. The axe will bounce off of the smallest knots and you can hear laughing in the TING sound it makes.
2qs6ry8.jpg

A terrible picture from TN Hickory products. Pick your own handle from $3-$8 dollars
24liii8.jpg

This is the reject big. Everything here is around $2
eju2ht.jpg

A box of fersh doughnuts gets you from another walk in customer to pick what you want, stay away from the machines.

Last edited:
What does the top look like? Hanging an axe takes a lot of work.

I'll post a pic when i get back, I'm on a business trip right now. I'ts not as pretty as I'd like but I'm still learning. I might hang this axe 4 or 5 times before I get the hang of it and am ready to hank my Kelly vulcan "http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1457814-cracked-axe-head" which I want to be perfect. This is my practice axe. :) I'll start a new thread so I don't clutter this one up anymore.

Rob

I'll post a pic when i get back, I'm on a business trip right now. It's not as pretty as I'd like but I'm still learning. I might hang this axe 4 or 5 times before I get the hang of it and am ready to hang my Kelly Vulcan "http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1457814-cracked-axe-head" which I want to be perfect. This is my practice axe. :) I'll start a new thread so I don't clutter this one up anymore.

Rob

I'll post a pic when i get back, I'm on a business trip right now. It's not as pretty as I'd like but I'm still learning. I might hang this axe 4 or 5 times before I get the hang of it and am ready to hang my Kelly Vulcan "http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1457814-cracked-axe-head" which I want to be perfect. This is my practice axe. :) I'll start a new thread so I don't clutter this one up anymore.

Rob

It looks like a first try.

I'm pretty busy with work travel and building a flatbed for my old F350. I'll work on this some and start a new thread about a noob and his first axe.

wedge.jpeg

Thanks! George from G3 Survival made it for me. It was made from 1055 steel. Aenglishmir, Futhark and Sigil runes on sheath, Uruz rune on center beltloop Futhark, Gray thread hand saddle stitched, and gray artwork.

3" cutting blade
6" over all tool length
Tear drop eye
18" Flame hardened and waxed hickory handle

Last edited:
GFB Small forest axe just showed up at my door after a long wait, I asked for a dark handle and like what i got.
IMG_1431_zpspsshsbak.jpg

I have had one of these for a couple of years now. I love it. It stays in the van and looks after all our camping.

This arrived a few weeks ago from Hults Bruk. It's a great hatchet that will live in my backpack. Can't wait to use it.

Attachments

• hbhatchet head.jpg
    hbhatchet head.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
  • hbhatchet 1.jpg
    hbhatchet 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
  • hbhatchet end grain.jpg
    hbhatchet end grain.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 25
  • hbhatchet wedge.jpg
    hbhatchet wedge.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 31
  • hbhatchet edge.jpg
    hbhatchet edge.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 30
At some point I may try leather stitching. Not yet, for now rivets will do. I got this Kelly Flint Edge cruiser some time ago as a vinegar bathed, used, head only. The handle is not the best for grain orientation, but it will get me started. So I made two masks, but then had enough skin left over to join them in the back. Now it can be handled more safely when not in use.

~~

tanglediver,

I've thought about getting one of those old Singer sewing machines to do some canvas work. What do you do with yours and how do you like it? You think it would be good for duck canvas? I don't want something new and fancy with circuit cards and digital readouts. Just a motor and a needle.

Thanks

At some point I may try leather stitching. Not yet, for now rivets will do. I got this Kelly Flint Edge cruiser some time ago as a vinegar bathed, used, head only. The handle is not the best for grain orientation, but it will get me started. So I made two masks, but then had enough skin left over to join them in the back. Now it can be handled more safely when not in use.

tanglediver,

I've thought about getting one of those old Singer sewing machines to do some canvas work. What do you do with yours and how do you like it? You think it would be good for duck canvas? I don't want something new and fancy with circuit cards and digital readouts. Just a motor and a needle.

Thanks
Bronc076, I have only had the little Singer 99k for a couple weeks now. It was said to have been cleaned and serviced, and it has punched out beautiful stitches since the first. I have already tried it on retired fire hose material, and it has NO trouble punching through that. I ran stitches over an old blue jean leg I use for a shotgun cover no trouble. I could not physically fit three layers of leather under the foot, but I am sure it will punch through two layers which did fit. I simply needed to attach three layers on the mask project where the welt covers the rivets. I really like this old machine!

One of the best axe brands in the world, Tuatahi. Just got this baby in today. It is a custom head weight for a work axe, a slightly smaller and lighter head, axe weighs 6.6lbs total. Came with a screaming sharp edge and I ordered the sheath too. Handle is slightly wider than I am comfortable with at the palm swell for my admittedly small hands but it feels really good. Just gotta adjust the width a bit.

20170506_233550_zpsot6andl9.jpg

20170506_233614_zps70lx3ea4.jpg

20170506_233736_zpspmwqnraa.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Jake

Back