Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

W46Rikoh.jpg

I got on an axe kick for about 6-7 years and I have probably 10 times that many with handles on em---have not bought an axe in about 4 years though---seems now everyone is picking up axes --even the women at sales that ya used to see going fer dishes--now they going fer the axes--crazy---I aint goin after their dishes--leave my axes alone--ya know.....I just like axes and all other sharp items...

These heads look very impressive. However, I can't help but notice there is evidence of natural aging, oxidation and penetrating rust on some of these heads and yet the embosses, which ought to have been worn by scratches, dirt, pitch, and rust damage, are virtually perfect. Is there any chance you obtained these (particularly the Keen Kutter and Colonial) from the same source? I've never had the opportunity to inspect embossed axes but these emblems look to have been created by recent acid etching, which is probably not all that difficult to do once there is a template and suitable chemical. There is something very suspicious-looking about these. Perhaps some other folks on here would be so kind as to chime in and/or post up pictures of other embossed heads and fill us in on how traditional embosses were created. We all know that unstamped heads have virtually no collector value but they do provide an inexpensive and authentic canvas for unscrupulous entrepreneurs to perform artwork on to reap enormous gains.

These heads look very impressive. However, I can't help but notice there is evidence of natural aging, oxidation and penetrating rust on some of these heads and yet the embosses, which ought to have been worn by scratches, dirt, pitch, and rust damage, are virtually perfect. Is there any chance you obtained these (particularly the Keen Kutter and Colonial) from the same source? I've never had the opportunity to inspect embossed axes but these emblems look to have been created by recent acid etching, which is probably not all that difficult to do once there is a template and suitable chemical. There is something very suspicious-looking about these. Perhaps some other folks on here would be so kind as to chime in and/or post up pictures of other embossed heads and fill us in on how traditional embosses were created. We all know that unstamped heads have virtually no collector value but they do provide an inexpensive and authentic canvas for unscrupulous entrepreneurs to perform artwork on to reap enormous gains.

I agree with the colonial. If you look at the “C” it looks like it it was placed directly over a rust spot. And the “L” at the bottom tip as well. These would be prime spot for rust concedering it is a low spot on the surface of the axe. The Keen Kutter doesn’t look too suspicious to me. This is why I have never bought anything off of the interweb. Too many people make careers off of scamming people. But maybe this axe set logo down on a bench somewhere for 20 years and it aged that way. Who knows lol

hell they coulda been---but who ever said I was trying to sell them--they are for my enjoyment and I could care less what anyone else thinks of them--they sure are kool though huh....

I agree with the colonial. If you look at the “C” it looks like it it was placed directly over a rust spot. And the “L” at the bottom tip as well. These would be prime spot for rust concedering it is a low spot on the surface of the axe. The Keen Kutter doesn’t look too suspicious to me. This is why I have never bought anything off of the interweb. Too many people make careers off of scamming people. But maybe this axe set logo down on a bench somewhere for 20 years and it aged that way. Who knows lol

Apparently you two didn't read the part where he said he bought them at auctions? As far as I can tell the "C" in the colonial has the same discoloration as the surrounding area, how do you explain that. Also, have either one you tried to etch an ax head in the fashion you are talking about? I have known this person going on two years now, he has never falsified, misrepresented anything in his life and he NEVER publically criticised some else's blades of any sort. To me it sounds like you two are a couple of jealous sour grapes.

Last edited:
Dogpound is a good friend of mine. After looking at the axes I can't imagine the work it would of took to modify one of those. DP isn't one to tolerate imitations or not originals. I'm sure they are legit. You should see his collection of cleavers........

I was just making an observation and was not accusing the poster of anything. I’m sure everyone has bought something misrepresented at some point. If the person I quoted was accusing him of falsifying something that is not what I took from it. I have learned on my sort time on this forum not to take things personally and that some people know less and some known more but everyone has an opinion.

I just read the rest of the comments after posting my last one. Obviously I was not saying DP was making those. I comment on the wrong post at the wrong time haha. Didn’t read all posts. But it’s a forum

hey thanks brian for telling me that ok........ya know its just in the way things are worded that possible wrong assumptions can be taken from that right.....opinions about items are always welcome but we all gotta be careful with how are words are placed I believe...all is good.....

Dogpound is a good friend of mine. After looking at the axes I can't imagine the work it would of took to modify one of those. DP isn't one to tolerate imitations or not originals. I'm sure they are legit. You should see his collection of cleavers........
Wow! After 2 whole months I'm pleased there is some response to my initial query about the possibility of someone showing themselves to be a victim of fakery. Perhaps your next line was going to be: I'm sure they are legit because he told me they cost him $500!
Personally I could care less if these are artful phonies created in someone's basement. In fact I look forward to viewing the 'Black Raven' rendition.
I hate to say this but when something smells it takes more than mere indignation to dispel the odour. I'd be nice to get opinions that are more qualified than mine, and less superficial than yours.
Genuine collectibles are ever more so being demeaned via counterfeits and it's well worth having others be alerted to this.

Last edited:
Wow! After 2 whole months I'm pleased there is some response to my initial query about the possibility of someone being a victim of fakery. Perhaps your next line was going to be: I'm sure they are legit because he told me he paid $1000 for them!
Personally I could care less if these are artful phonies created in someone's basement. In fact I look forward to scrutinizing a Black Raven rendition.
I hate to say this but when something smells it takes more than mere indignation to dispel the odour. I'd be nice to get opinions that are more qualified than mine, and less superficial than yours. Genuine collectibles are ever more so being demeaned via counterfeits and it's well worth having folks be alerted to this.
Isn't this a picture thread?

Back