Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Apologies to the moderators who have do deal with this stuff if I'm out of place here. I understand if you feel the need to remove my post. I'd like to shed some light on what has been a tragic series of miscommunications and accusations.

I got on an axe kick for about 6-7 years and I have probably 10 times that many with handles on em---have not bought an axe in about 4 years though---seems now everyone is picking up axes --even the women at sales that ya used to see going fer dishes--now they going fer the axes--crazy---I aint goin after their dishes--leave my axes alone--ya know.....I just like axes and all other sharp items...

It is not at all unusual for a collector to have a number of excellent examples in his collection. Finds like these weren't all that rare 6-7 years ago when you were actively collecting. It's only when they are seen as a group that forums members might inquire about their provenance.

Is there any chance you obtained these (particularly the Keen Kutter and Colonial) from the same source?

Aforementioned inquiry about the provenance. Keep in mind, it has been often said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Corollary - if these had been obtained from one source then they might be suspect. A response to this question with some provenance might have ended this discussion right here.

I agree with the colonial. If you look at the “C” it looks like it it was placed directly over a rust spot. And the “L” at the bottom tip as well. These would be prime spot for rust concedering it is a low spot on the surface of the axe. The Keen Kutter doesn’t look too suspicious to me. This is why I have never bought anything off of the interweb. Too many people make careers off of scamming people. But maybe this axe set logo down on a bench somewhere for 20 years and it aged that way. Who knows lol

Clearly more than one forum member was questioning the Colonial. I think that each of these axes are more than likely legitimate. The Colonial gave me the most pause. Again, some provenance might have ended the discussion here.

maybe ya can do that in the backwoods of Canada.....

dammmm stupid comments!!!!!!!!

At this point things went south quickly. In fact, it could be done in the backwoods of Canada or in any garage in America. With the prices that axes are fetching these days we have to assume that it is being done in some instances. Tool collectors have been experiencing fakes for a long time and are naturally suspicious.

Apparently you two didn't read the part where he said he bought them at auctions?

To this point in the thread no such provenance had been given. Nice of you to stand up for your friend but provably a false statement. He later in this thread clarifies that there were all garage sale finds.

Dogpound is a good friend of mine. After looking at the axes I can't imagine the work it would of took to modify one of those. DP isn't one to tolerate imitations or not originals.

We all like to think that we could never be fooled. If you've ever seen the show 'Pawnstars' then you've seen the reaction people have when then learn they might have fallen for a fake (which I don't believe Dogpound 77 has). They respond with anger and indignation.

I was just making an observation and was not accusing the poster of anything.

Thanks for the clarification. I never saw any accusation in your post or in anyone else's.

hey thanks brian for telling me that ok........ya know its just in the way things are worded that possible wrong assumptions can be taken from that right.....opinions about items are always welcome but we all gotta be careful with how are words are placed I believe...all is good.....

Profound words.

either way they were great 5 dollar garage sale finds...so don't care--no plans on selling them-they look damn good hanging on my wall....

Finally the provenance we sought. Thank you.

I would like to see you two try and fake an ax head in the way you said DP77 did.

Please show me where I said that.

First off he was accused of faking the ax heads.

Please show us where this happened.

.....maybe think a bit more about how you word your statements out as not to make it sound like you are accusing someone of something--ya know what I mean-----

And you might also think about your words rather than repeatedly insulting someone who asks for a simple thing like some provenance. "dammmm stupid comments!" "profoundly ignorant Canadian---"

Thank you for obtusely (round about) addressing the original question. Go back to my initial post that suggested 'something wasn't cricket' with the ax(e) embosses and tell me how it is I slandered you. All I did was point out what appeared to be obvious (to me), and asked if you had obtained those seemingly-desirable items from the same source. My concern was that you got royally 'ripped off'. Most collector-type folks become thoroughly embarrassed when they discover they've been 'had', instead you immediately became indignant. Reactions such as this are hugely informative.
This is the last of any comments I make on this. When you post pretty pictures on a specialty forum such as this you ought to expect critical feedback, and lo and behold you did!

Indignation and outrage can arise in different ways. We've seen on Pawnstars where someone is outraged that the possibility that they bought a fake. Any one of us on these forums could easily be taken by a fake. Fakers are that good. I don't think that any of these are fakes. But it's a good opportunity to remind the forums that this is probably happening given the incredible rise in axe prices over the past few years. Buyer beware.

you are a profoundly ignorant Canadian---

We just don't need that stuff here.

Think counterfeiting isn't going on? How much money could a small shop make by 'antiquing' hundreds of axes like this:

Bulgaria%20axe.jpg

from cheap imports like these?

China%20axe.jpg

unscrupulous entrepreneurs to perform artwork on to reap enormous gains
I TOOK THAT PERSONALLY AND THAT IS WHAT STARTED THIS---I COULD CARE LESS--I AM DONE WITH YOU PEOPLE ---GOOD LUCK WITH YER SADNESS AND BEATING UP PEOPLE--MAKES YA FEEL POWERFUL WOW....... THINGS CAN BE WORDERD DIFFERENT AS TO NOT ACCUSE SOMEONE OF SOMETHING....THINK ABOUT DAT OK.......

SURE counterfeiting is going on---but before you accuse someone of it---know for sure ok.....if ya don't think ya did??? go back and read yer posts carefully how you profoundly worded it ok....

Just show me where......

And you take 300Six out of context. In his post he had already asked where you got them - implying that you hadn't created these but only purchased them.

HE AND you implied in your wording that I created them---read your posts---not just through your eyes but someone elses....

he never asked where I got them----he said I hope you did not get them from the same source----how is that asking where I got them---huh.....I don't see what you see pal....

how long are we going to argue---you dont see what I see---and I could care less--I got better things to do than waste my time here.....post some pics --have fun --quit being haters ....

Last edited:
Like that swell a lot too,real nice axe.Does it have any marks other than craftsman?

Thanks, it is perhaps one of if not my most comfortable handles and swell that I have.

No other markings.
Just CRAFTSMAN in the single oval.
I have not had much chance today to look into identifying this as a boys axe or full size axe, and as much as i try not not to assume, I am assuming this to be a boys axe. Handle at 28" and the head alone probably weighs in near 2&1/4lbs. maybe a tad more.

20180120_123101.jpg

20180120_123053.jpg

20180120_123041.jpg

20180120_123051.jpg

20180120_123046.jpg

What i did find late last night was that possibly CRAFTSMAN within the single oval could put it near 1950...but I am sceptical of that.

that is a super nice craftsman --I got 1er2.

Thank you, I feel lucky to have stumbled onto it while I was looking at a few different Crosscuts from a gentleman a few months back. He had the saws he wanted to show me, disappeared for a few than came back with the Craftsman.

Looks brand new.I would say boys .Got a hatchet with oval CRAFTSMAN stamp got f1 under the poll is why I asked.Real sweet,let us know how it chops.

you are a profoundly ignorant Canadian---.
'Far out, man', or 'awesome, dude' depending on which era you herald from! I will cheerfully go forward with the badge: "PIC". You're right; it is horribly unfortunate that my Igloo melted away last spring due to climate change, the fall-back Teepee was compromised by Asian-introduced moths so I've had to resort to living in an ordinary centrally-heated wired and plumbed 'stick-built' house like everybody else.
But then again if all this increasingly-heated chatter gives pause for cocky folks to openly flaunt re-creations, or enthusiastic collectors to blindly accept these as authentic, then something has been accomplished.

By the way: does the 'Colonial' have those highly-coveted eye ridges that most folks overlook?

Thanks, it is perhaps one of if not my most comfortable handles and swell that I have.

No other markings.
Just CRAFTSMAN in the single oval.
I have not had much chance today to look into identifying this as a boys axe or full size axe, and as much as i try not not to assume, I am assuming this to be a boys axe. Handle at 28" and the head alone probably weighs in near 2&1/4lbs. maybe a tad more.

20180120_123041.jpg

It's a real beauty for sure. I have a similar Craftsman boys axe that also has one of those amazing feeling handles and swells. It's just a pleasure to use.

I call yours a 'single ellipse' to keep it separate from this other stamp which isn't a true ellipse but rather an oval.

Single%20oval%20boys%20axe.jpg

In any case it's a great find and I have no doubt it will become one of your favorite users.

It's a real beauty for sure. I have a similar Craftsman boys axe that also has one of those amazing feeling handles and swells. It's just a pleasure to use.

I call yours a 'single ellipse' to keep it separate from this other stamp which isn't a true ellipse but rather an oval.

Single%20oval%20boys%20axe.jpg

In any case it's a great find and I have no doubt it will become one of your favorite users.

Thank you square_peg
I can't wait till tomorrow I am going to go try bucking a couple medium sized pine limbs with her.
I will keep digging but you have shone some light on the Craftsman I didn't learn yet, about the oval and the ellipse. The digging continues, thanks!

20180120_123115.jpg

20180119_152901.jpg

I am pretty smitten with this one:):thumbsup:

Love that handle!! Swell looks amazing!! I was on a road trip for work and saw one identical to yours at an antique store and I passed on it..... hopefully another one will pop up.

Back