Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Think I read on here somewhere that it means fulton.And I wouldn't be surprised if that's from the 50's .

I was researching Crosscuts when I came across Fulton crosscut saws sold by Sears and Roebuck.
As I read and if my memory serves, the Fulton saw became their secondary line after the introduction of Craftsman and the branding of CRAFTSMAN became the Sears and Roebuck premiere line for all tools. Again, if memory is correct it may have been 1950 and before for the Fulton saw and axe, then it was all craftsman labeled.

From what I have been reading Fulton and Dunlap are both just brands not actual mfg.and the only known maker is vaughn,and that Sears made axes at one time.

and that Sears made axes at one time.

I think this is still subject to debate. Craftsman branded axes were being made by the Craftsman Tool division of the Cushman Company in Champagne Ill. in 1922. That company went into receivership after becoming an 'open shop' and reducing wages. Product quality declined and the company folded.

Sears Roebuck eventually purchased the Craftsman brand from Cushman.

I actually didn't think I had this many. To most of you, this isn't a lot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7283191@N07/28085029599/in/dateposted-public/

-Left to right
Mann 2 1/2lb boys - May wire wheel the head on this one.
True Temper Kelly Works (3 1/2lb)
Mann Edge Tool Co. Lewistown, PA. U.S.A. (5lb) - Love this axe, it's a beast.
True Temper Red Warrior Kelly Works
True Temper Kelly Works 3 1/2lb (C2 stamp)
Homestead 3lb ish?

-Top to bottom
US Plumb 1944
True Temper Flint Edge

-Bottom
Double, Mann Lewistown PA. (JMP stamp)

I'm currently working on a True Temper double bit cruiser 2.2 forest service

As you can see I'm still working on shaping the handles.

Just thought i'd share

Last edited:
I actually didn't think I had this many. To most of you, this isn't a lot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7283191@N07/28085029599/in/dateposted-public/

-Fron left to right.
Mann 2 1/2lb boys - May wire wheel the head on this one.
True Temper Kelly Works (3 1/2lb)
Mann Edge Tool Co. Lewistown, PA. U.S.A. (5lb) - Love this axe, it's a beast.
True Temper Red Warrior Kelly Works
True Temper Kelly Works 3 1/2lb (C2 stamp)
Homestead 3lb ish?

-Top to bottom
US Plumb 1944
True Temper Flint Edge

-Bottom
Double, Mann Lewistown PA. (JMP stamp)

I'm currently working on a True Temper double bit cruiser 2.2 forest service

As you can see I'm still working on shaping the handles.

Just thought i'd share

It's not the quantity but quality.
You have a great collection

Figured I'd contribute to this awesome thread. My humble collection of 16 axes, 8 hatchets, 2 adze's, and a 15lb maul. In the last pic the axes are ones owned by family members. For the full story on the axes, go to this link. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/it-followed-me-home-part-2.1190276/pa
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg

This is my Husqvarna Carpenter's axe. 2.5 lb head on a 19" handle.
I had originally bought this axe to take with my on canoeing and snowmobile trips. I was given a GB Scandinavian Forest Axe by my groomsmen and it held special significance to me. As much as I loved It, the high risk of loss on these types of trips caused me to leave it at home much of the time.

The local general store had a couple of these axes in stock so I decided to get one. The edge needed some refinement but was quickly enough to a very sharp edge. It holds it too. Who knows where my sheath went so now it lives in a folded license plate. Spray painted orange keeps it visible. This is my working axe. I found the 19" length to me very handy on the side of a pack or snowmobile but allows for much more power than a hatchet. I use this axe for limbing, slicing and chopping bait and blazing trail on the trapline, hammering stakes and frozen knots, simple whittling and it eats the work up. The fairly straight edge is very handy for detail work and the head design keeps most of power square to the edge.

Right now the grind is left a little thicker as,in the winter, most things I am chopping are frozen and I had problems with the GB chipping. An incredible, versatile tool nonetheless and it is my go to woods axe.
. If i had to choose between a knife and this axe to leave at home when out in the forest, so long knife. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a robust, reliable bush companion.

piufQ8k.jpg

Greetings Everyone,

I posted a few of these pics on an outdoors site [24hourcampfire] where my handle is Talus in AZ. A pal there said I should post here.

I've always loved wood, axes and being outdoors. Plus, I'm retiring in a few years and wanted to develop a part-time gig. So I spent the last year learning about axe restoration using our great local supply of exotic hardwoods, which were originally imported generations ago for their desert adaptability. All the wood in these pics was rescued from the landfill or fire-killed. I make a knife now and then, but have no plans to sell them. What really interests me is taking an heirloom axe and making a display piece for fireplace or wall.

Cheers,

Jeff

i98wZH6.jpg

A Viking-themed piece later used in the music video "Renegade Ridge" by Nathan, the front man for the Folk Metal band Adavant.

MBV6nix.jpg

mQbm9F9.jpg

Wetterling in Chilean Mesquite:

k1BU2oR.jpg

Super Banco in Mesquite:

iyrviYR.jpg

wp2CIsr.jpg

Back