Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

HZuUMZ7.jpg

Hey mate, what brand are your gouges there? I just bought a 12 piece set of Pfeil gouges and I'm kind of getting interesting in bowl carving etc
Hi. The ones in the picture are a brand called Mastercraft that come from a big chain hardware store called Canadian Tire. The are pretty cheap but work great. I also have some Two Cherries gouges, they are much better quality but also quite expensive....if you are starting out, I recommend getting a cheap set first until you learn to sharpen them properly. If you already know how to sharpen it doesn't get any better the Two Cherries. Imo. Good luck, it's one if my favorite things to do.

Found this little guy in a drawer out in the garage along with an old Plumb Anchor shingle hatchet. A little crocus cloth took off a little rust and the only markings I can find are "NEW YORK CITY" stamped up near the poll. If anyone has any clues as to the provenance please speak up! There are a couple nice handsaws that are likely Disston's but the real prize I found was a hewing hatchet . . . until I found someone had put a second bevel on the back of it. That got put back and I haven't looked through much more yet. I do have a handle for the Collins Legitimus double I picked up over the winter along with an 18" handle for the hatchet head and an octagonal handle for the shingling hatchet that I pulled FIFTEEN nails out of. No really! LOL
Anyway here are the pictures, first up is the NYC hatchet head weighing in at 1 lb 15 & 5/8 oz.
2018_04_16_18_53_10.jpg

Here's the Plumb Anchor.
2018_04_16_18_46_47.jpg

aaaaaaand the nails . . .
2018_04_16_19_18_29.jpg

I guess I can toss in one of the Collins as well. There's some pretty good pitting on one quarter but once I get this bad boy hung it's gonna be a monster!
2018_01_16_23_33_04.jpg

Last edited:
Found this little guy in a drawer out in the garage along with an old Plumb Anchor shingle hatchet. A little crocus cloth took off a little rust and the only markings I can find are "NEW YORK CITY" stamped up near the poll. If anyone has any clues as to the provenance please speak up! ...the NYC hatchet head weighing in at 1 lb 15 & 5/8 oz.
2018_04_16_18_53_10.jpg

Any chance you can make out...Grove Tool Works NYC?

Just a coincidence as I am looking at one myself hoping to acquire in the next day or two or three...:cool:
Until I have it in my hands I am taking my friend at his word that he reads Grove Tool Works NYC somewhere

9tpsmPe.jpg

bUZ94jh.jpg

I decided to not ask about the bad bevel michigan

Any chance you can make out...Grove Tool Works NYC?

Just a coincidence as I am looking at one myself hoping to acquire in the next day or two or three...:cool:
I decided to not ask about the bad bevel michigan

I certainly can't make it out at the moment, I will take it to the wire wheel tomorrow and check though. I would love to know if there's more information on it before taking the a file to it.
I'd take that other axe head, I had thought MI's were more rounded but that doesn't look to be in bad shape. I'd try and even up the false bevels a bit and then see if I had the patience to make it shine. Unfortunately being IN Michigan at the moment it's a little cool out to be doing too much work outside. I will get back to you after the wire wheel but for now here's a closer look at the markings.
2018_04_16_18_53_39.jpg

Alright Miller, we would appear to have a winner! I just hit the wire wheel up and while I can not make out "GROVE" I CAN make out "TOOL WORKS" above the "NEW YORK CITY". Maybe someone with better eyes than I can make it out, but it's good enough for me. Thank you for the help in figuring this out. Now on to the picture! Hopefully we can both soon have posts in the "what did you hang today" thread. :D
20180418_120358.jpg

Alright Miller, we would appear to have a winner! I just hit the wire wheel up and while I can not make out "GROVE" I CAN make out "TOOL WORKS" above the "NEW YORK CITY". Maybe someone with better eyes than I can make it out, but it's good enough for me. Thank you for the help in figuring this out. Now on to the picture! Hopefully we can both soon have posts in the "what did you hang today" thread. :D
20180418_120358.jpg

That's great!! Great score right there!
Check out post #2939 i think...Daizee I think is the members name that found a grove city last year!
Looks great too!!

I am hoping the winds blow in my favor over the next day of two...I am wiggling for a good haul to come my way...patience is key

Very nice. Minimal as it was the mushrooming on mine seems to have obliterated the GROVE marking. I've got the head on the handle today and filed down the mushrooming and it's looking pretty nice. I've just got to open up the slit for the wedge as once I've got the head on it's closed up tighter than a nun's knees. While not one to complain about free I must say the wedges that came with the handles seem thus far to be worth exactly what you pay for them, the metal crosswedges are pretty nice though. Luckily I have some Truper wedges I picked up over the winter that ought to suffice. While I'm not finished it is looking pretty smart thus far. I kinda want to get the head a little further down on the haft but I think it's seated sufficiently. Here's a pic I took partway through fitting, it's currently a couple mm lower and I may try to get it a touch lower still. I am also definitely going to thin it out a bit.
2018_04_20_13_38_01.jpg

The head cleaned up nice:thumbsup:

As you said you were trying to do, I would also try to seat it down more on the shoulder and thin the handle a bit, but that is my preference:cool:

It's looking great:thumbsup:

20180418_120358.jpg

Well sir, I did obtain the Grove Tool Works NYC yesterday afternoon.
Hopefully one day in the near future I will have him cleaned, dressed and rehung.

20180421_195103.jpg

20180421_193225.jpg

20180421_193202.jpg

20180421_193144.jpg

20180421_195041.jpg

:cool:

Back