Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Wood Splitter, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think those small hatchets look better on curved hafts. But the straight haft might be more useful and practical.

2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is that lineman's flint edge, apparently it has a hardened poll, thought it was a stamp for the longest time because it's slightly recessed

3. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

jfk1110, Yankee Josh, Rudymoe and 5 others like this.
  4. Jasper33

Jasper33

Jan 18, 2015
    That looks great Cteve!
    A few questions, those tool marks that are visible are they from a spoon knife or gouge or something similar, and is that wood green or dry?

5. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Thanks! The marks are from 2 different gouges a 20mm for the sides and a 35mm to do the bottom (makes it more flat) the wood is very green, I cut the tree down 2 weeks ago. The only tools used to carve was the axe a couple gouges and knife. As well as alot of time ;)

6. Jasper33

Jasper33

Jan 18, 2015
    Time well spent I would say! One other question, is there a special way you dry it so it doesn’t crack?

[email protected] likes this.
  7. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    There sure is, I have been using two different ways, the first one is to keep the wood chips from carving the bowl and place them into a paper bag and then i cover up the bag with some old furs, this is to act sort of like a kiln, you want it to dry slow as possible. I have had a lot of success with this way and a few that didn't work.
    The second way is called "water displacement" this is where in theory, you replace the water in the wood with oil (i use 100% pure Tung oil) this way seems to get better results but there is still a chance of cracks developing, however i noticed many of the cracks close up as it fully dries/cures.

8. Jasper33

Jasper33

Jan 18, 2015
    Thanks for sharing, I’d like to give it a try myself.

Cteve likes this.
  9. Yellowdog762

Yellowdog762

Aug 9, 2015
    Here's a Plumb BSA hatchet and original sheath, plus a BSA sharpening puck and original case. The puck didn't come with the hatchet, I think I found it at an estate sale.

I cleaned up the head. After I removed a few nails from the wedge, I added a new wedge and I was able to reuse the original handle.

The leather sheath was very dry, but in decent shape, and it looks nice now that I added a copious amount of mink oil to it. The puck had several bad grooves worn in it, but I ground those out using a dollar store whetstone. Now it looks almost like brand new. I'm not a fan of the plastic holder, but that's the one that was made for it.

I thought about doing a shadow box display for a wall mount in my office. But lately, I've been leaning towards gifting it to a scout, or donating the set for a BSA fund raiser, I just haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Since these Plumbs are a little thick, if I sharpen it, should I thin the cheeks and go for the half moon effect, or just refine the factory edge?

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

10. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'd file it back a bit into a half banana or whatever the shape of the cheeks dictate when you file it to the axe gauge.

Love the little puck! What a great pair!

Yellowdog762 likes this.
  11. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I spent too much on a Kelly Perfect Jersey on the bay. It was garishly polished, and I wasn't about to hang it like that. I'm not one for the grey on grey of a straight vinegar soak, so I finessed a strange patina with hot vinegar, Gunzilla CLP, and improvised technique. Looks like a movie prop, but I dig it. I had done up the edge before, and used nail polish as a resist on the edge and back a bit. Wanted something like the glowing edge the swedes have made so popular. I like it, but I think it'll be a love it or hate it thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jawjhe17nwyb4f0/20181009_013834.jpg?dl=0

I'll have to figure out how to properly post images here. For whatever reason an image url from a Dropbox generated url (as above) doesn't work so far as I can tell.

ETA: I forgot to mention, the CLP rubbed in with the hot vinegar as red iron oxide was forming for some reason resulted in that bronze hue.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  12. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

13. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Didn't work for you either? Must be Dropbox link incompatibility. Sized em down and using my gold space. 20181009_013844-980x2016.jpg 20181009_013834-980x2016.jpg

14. Yellowdog762

Yellowdog762

Aug 9, 2015

A17 likes this.
  15. donscpoo

donscpoo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2013
    LH hatchet

[​IMG]

jfk1110, mpjustin, Seesteel and 5 others like this.
  16. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Liam does such fine work.

donscpoo likes this.
  17. donscpoo

donscpoo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah! I was not an axe guy but I am hooked now. His attention to details is superb.

18. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
  19. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan

Jan 19, 2007
    HB Forge knives and hawks. I need to take a new pic but here is a couple hawks and a knife.

[​IMG]

jfk1110 and [email protected] like this.
  20. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    20181105_152555.jpg hi everyone, anybody know this stamp? Im trying to upload a pic of the whole head but am having trouble. I got this from my uncle and know nothing about it just wanted to get some info on it