Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

n7CPyTW.jpg

Nice!
My modest Flint Edge Collection

All but the house axe are Kelly Works

20190927-100610.jpg

20190927-100625.jpg

20190927-100639.jpg
Any idea why a Kelly Axe Works (Connecticut pattern?) would be pinned? Just scored it in a hoard a local RI guy posted on Facebook and was quite surprised to see that while sanding.

I have been spending as much time as I can hiking and trekking over the last 4 years and am developing more of a bush crafting mentality. I decided I wanted a small pack axe and a small fixed blade in my kit/on my back. Based on many written and video reviews of various axes, I settled on this GB Small Forest Axe. I know the Gransfors Bruks has mixed reception from some, but for my simple needs in the bush, I think it will do me just fine.
GransforsBruks_SFA.jpeg

New to forum (and new to axes), and recently picked up throwing axes. Armed with dangerously little knowledge, I've bought, broke, and/or hung these hatchets. Not gonna win any style points and have probably made a few rookie mistakes but managed to get snug fits. Any input as to the vintage/history of these would be appreciated. Also any tips to improve the heads or rehanging them when they break are welcome.
AF1QipOLgIuBOKD_Ou9f3VCq_P3sWzBMh7aeN3mK3lMo
AF1QipNto3iuYMKFIqy3U-XRqJU6z9PIid5JURIRAjcI
AF1QipPIZ6M0MqjkAAH7SKS1r3S6pMR870Q6QdzFA1Aw
AF1QipMAqHyxkHRCW3BLKaXz3JKh-qzWNRuDffxQO7Ur
AF1QipOT6YJ850e_L2Dg-ZJwBuVIDKNJVr_O0e0T72-J
AF1QipP-9Xj-3Zn7Il3gOVeGLnvoMDYhV_LnS170_tjT

Here's the only link that worked for me.
Screenshot_20200207-175303_Photos.jpg
Can't see much of your hangs in that photo. But I'll take your word for it that they are snug! Have you been throwing at a bar or in your back yard?
I don't throw anymore myself. I did years back but have moved on to other hobbies.

Yeah so the photo linking is on par with my hanging. That photo had a couple with original handles - a Dunlap and a Plumb. The other I hung is a Grove tool works NYC with 211 stamp that I'm curious about. Throws well tho. Here's a couple others - another plumb and a Vaughn.
THXgkQ2YgE6yroar8

Finally got a chance to use this tool and What A Hammer! Reground no name 8lb maul on 30" racing handle i posted before. Next to a helko werk Saxon spiltter. My favorite cord wood tool. Made a copy of the over strike guard with some standing seam roof cutoffs to boot. Just used it on some small walnut rounds but it's a beast. Can't wait to use this on some large gnarly oak rounds. RACING MAUL!
IMG_1074 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
IMG_1075 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
IMG_1076 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr

Finally got a chance to use this tool and What A Hammer! Reground no name 8lb maul on 30" racing handle i posted before. Next to a helko werk Saxon spiltter. My favorite cord wood tool. Made a copy of the over strike guard with some standing seam roof cutoffs to boot. Just used it on some small walnut rounds but it's a beast. Can't wait to use this on some large gnarly oak rounds. RACING MAUL!
IMG_1074 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
IMG_1075 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
IMG_1076 by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr
That's a damn smart idea with the guard. Sometimes I'm embarrassed when I see something so obvious that I should have thought of myself but didn't... Haha. Happens with small new inventions too. I'm like "aghhhh why didn't I think of that"! Lol. Nice looking splitting mauls man!

That's a damn smart idea with the guard. Sometimes I'm embarrassed when I see something so obvious that I should have thought of myself but didn't... Haha. Happens with small new inventions too. I'm like "aghhhh why didn't I think of that"! Lol. Nice looking splitting mauls man!

I was unsure at first with the idea of putting holes in the handle. But the helko has been put through its paces, bout 10 cords and the guard has held up great. The racing maul screws are in about 5/16 and countersunk flush, 24 gauge galvanized steel. Should hold up great. Think I'll do it on my felling and bucking axes as well. Thanks for comments

I was unsure at first with the idea of putting holes in the handle
The risk of pinning these guards is not weakening or directly damaging the handle, they are conduits drawing moisture into the wood through condensation which poses a long-term risk. In addition the guards themselves on the inward surface can be a source of condensation and trapping moisture against the wood.

That thought occurred to me as well. I would think leather would hold moisture even more. Something synthetic would be best I would think. Thin breathable neoprene or something. Either way I not to worried about. My tools stay in the shed when not in use. Subject to atmospheric humidity but I can live with that. Even in the eastern woodland foot of a mountain my place is at. Gets damn humid here sometimes. Ha

Back