Axes, crosscuts, griphoist, and mules

This was kind of an unlucky tree that fell. Two of them, and they just layed right down through trail long ways. Even followed a bend in the trail, the way they layed.

Anyway, I rode in with one person, and a couple others hiked. 1 load to carry the tools. We moved it in a couple hours with some prepwork, one cut, a size 32 grip and a bit of riggin'

This is a couple years old. Only got so many pics but I think they tell the basic outline anyway.

Three good helpers
yHh4CUQ.jpg

True temper zenith double, plumb kentucky, Council pulaski
te0TkY8.jpg

7' Simonds
WlUGsyV.jpg

Here we are getting it ready. I've rigged it with a wrap, cut a tree out that was going to block us, and the others are swamping out the last bit. It's a big log. I'm standing on the trail, which grades around right under the mess.
4ovaejk.jpg

mu37QkY.jpg

EXjjTLi.jpg

Change of direction
fiwdwnK.jpg

Full wrap, to get it rolling
IRSC3FX.jpg

The box
LKLAGdL.jpg

Our cut, after we rolled it. About 30" or 32"
9RG4mXx.jpg

Took care of most of it right there with the first pull. But we rigged up on the other side and put that broken off chunk by in the backgound, between the two guys, below the trail.
onJkRXl.jpg

Like that. Then some spit and polish
VzjlQd8.jpg

This is right where I was standing in the first pic of it at the top of the post
x8bRZRC.jpg

Packed it all back on the mules and head home.

Last edited:
I have been on trails where big logs had to be cut out of the way, sometimes leaving significant chunks on both sides. I usually think something like, "Wow, that looks like a lot of work. I would hate to carry the tools, come this far, put in hours of labor, and then drag my sorry self back out of the woods." The effort that goes into keeping trails walkable is appreciated, Muleman.

Beautiful day,and tools,and animals...(especially the animals!)

Thanks,muleman,that is seriously neat to see something like that.

Hate to be so ignorant,but must ask what exactly you use this "griphoist" gizmo for...Is it like a rope come-along but for use with wire?(is that handle longer,the view foreshortened in the photo?)....(seems like i spend All kinds of time doing chores of this very sort,but among the manual gear not familiar with anything above come-along or chain-hoist...But most often it comes to a chainsaw-winch...).

Yes, a griphoist comes with a longer handle. It also comes with a shear pin that will fail if you attempt to use too long of handle. A griphoist is similar to a come along but pulls cable through it instead of spooling it up. This allows for an infinitely long cable to be used.

A similar less expensive tool is a Maasdam rope puller. Same principle just not as powerful and uses rope instead of cable. The Maasdam unit is 3/4 ton but if you add a snatch block it'll pull 1.5 ton.

http://wesspur.com/pullers/rope-cable-pullers.html

Maasdam puller in action.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-the-axe-mattock.1491070/page-2#post-17177358

Yep, the handle isn't on it just yet in that picture.

Pulls on the forward and reverse stroke as well.

And has controlled descent the same way.

That's a big one. It's rated at 8000 lbs double line, and with the basic riggin' is close to a 200 lb load to pack.

Nice work! A griphoist is an amazing tool.
I'll second that! Here I've only ever heard these referred to as Tirfor. A buddy and I used one to remove a large Yellow Birch tree that had broken off in a wind storm that was hung up almost vertical on other trees, but perilously hung over a house. The property owner wasn't interested in losing the hangup trees and we (me specifically, the feller/faller) weren't interested (at all) in trying to saw these out of the way. We notched bottom sections of the broken tree, same as preparing for a fall, but levered the pieces loose and winched them out via the borrowed commercial-rated Tirfor. After 3-4 sections had been removed the tree dropped down enough to untangle itself and fall short of the house. The beauty of the winch was we didn't have to be anywhere near the GD scary tree when doing the pulling. This all happened 40 years ago and I doubt either of us'd have the gumption to try something like that again because it was nerve wracking but the Tirfor did prove to be a miracle tool.

Last edited:
gosh diggity darn it.... one year ago I just wanted some info about good quality boys axe..... Now. I want a mule (donkey will do) and Tirfor. :)
@muleman77Was the location of anchor tree perpendicular to fallen tree or little to the side: 45 degrees? Did the cable get loose once the tree started rolling down the hill ? I wish you had gopro on.

Ah!Thanks all you guys,yes,i use Maasdam rope job constantly,so can imagine what a handy deal That is...

Thanks again,most beautiful country,great equipment,gorgeous mules!:)

You're right in a way 3 300Six . Tirfor is the brand name, those we have are that as well. I think it's like crescent wrench-adjustable end wrench.

C crbnSteeladdict I anchored above the logs, and a bit to the side of where I wrapped the choker roll. So uphill and forward of where the cut was made about halfway to the choker. With the change of direction anchored below obviously.
Not able to get an actual 2:1 that way, but it adds some leverage.

I am most impressed by this thread and the conversation it has created... I am thoroughly enjoying your work days Mulemann77.

You're right in a way 3 300Six . Tirfor is the brand name, those we have are that as well. I think it's like crescent wrench-adjustable end wrench.

C crbnSteeladdict I anchored above the logs, and a bit to the side of where I wrapped the choker roll. So uphill and forward of where the cut was made about halfway to the choker. With the change of direction anchored below obviously.
Not able to get an actual 2:1 that way, but it adds some leverage.
Thanks for the info; Impressive work. Even though it wasn't General Sherman size tree my eye kept searching for Snow White and other 3 dwarfs hiding in the bushes :)

Last edited:
Besides the Nine-mile class, Id recommend the local BCHA as a great way to get in and around some knowledgeable folks with regards to stock. They are really interested in helping, and they'd love to have a good trail worker on any of the projects, they do a fair amount of that kind of work.

Yeah, I've got friends in the local chapters of the Back Country Horsemen of Washington. They're very active in our state. I need to go sign up for a work party. It would be a pleasure just not having to carry my tools. All that iron adds a lot to your pack on multi-day trips.

Yeah, I've got friends in the local chapters of the Back Country Horsemen of Washington. They're very active in our state. I need to go sign up for a work party. It would be a pleasure just not having to carry my tools. All that iron adds a lot to your pack on multi-day trips.

It sure does.

We have a pretty big crew that's is kind of stationary. I move the camp in, and out and they get groceries every week. About 10 pack loads a week. The local chapter here helps all through. They're a great asset. Especially since I go on quite a few fires, and if I'm gone they can take care of the crew ably.

Then there's a couple pairs of wilderness patrol wandering around, and I go in and do stuff like this all the time they find that's over their equipment or ability. They brought this log above to my attention. Theyre doing a few things other than trailwork, and usually arent really experienced with it.

Im the most familiar with the riggin' stuff and a C sawyer, plus pack the mules, so the pack animals and I are kind of the wilderness heavy equipment.

Back