Axes in Art

I recently visited the Russian museum (art gallery) in Malaga, southern Spain, it houses some amazing old paintings on loan from the major Russian art galleries.
Below are a few of the many axes & weapons depicted in various paintings as best I could catch them with a phone! Sorry the measurements are metric, these paintings are HUGE.

1891 - Siege of the Trinity & St Sergius monastery - Varsely Vereshchagin - 2.82 X 4.58 metres.

y6RsMWj.jpg

Details-

ts4HNEX.jpg

43Rl05M.jpg

QbIQFG7.jpg

7zw0sx5.jpg

pooybSZ.jpg

h1tl20r.jpg

gkJohSu.jpg

V7Ph8at.jpg

EqahSme.jpg

1866 - Battle of Grengam on 27th July 1720 - Alexei Bogolyubov - 2.3 X 3.8 metres.

a75YGkT.jpg

qJe0SIB.jpg

KEnpFvw.jpg

A favourite of mine, this fantastic carved chair, sadly I didn't record the information but remember it was oak.

MlPhOcz.jpg

JRZDmYv.jpg

1879 - Pugachev's Judgement - Varsily Perov - 2.36 X 3.3 metres.

DwT90u3.jpg

bvpDzP5.jpg

Hope you like these images, anyone any more axe related artwork to add?

Not as refined but this picture has been on my desktop for a while. It qualifies?
zvjRFeg.jpg

Do you know where that's from Agent H? Image search didn't name it. I thought it might have been the Bayeux Tapestry but it isn't.

Some of many axes on the Bayeux Tapestry.
g9MFoSS.jpg

Junkenstien, thanks to image search ;) that is " Cossack fighting off a tiger" Alexander Orlowski 1811.

Fantastic stuff!

Steve Tall's 'Woodcutter' in New York has an Adirondack.

Saw that right off;):thumbsup::cool:

A watercolor by Winslow Homer, painted in 1891 while he was in New York state, The Woodcutter, with double bit axe having a slim Adirondack handle.

the-woodcutter.jpg

http://www.winslowhomer.org/the-woodcutter.jsp

Verplank Colvin was charged to survey the high peaks and Adirondack state park... for his triangulation coordinates he had the peaks and summits clear cut.
By axe and saw much like this gentleman I am sure.
This is an excellent picture and axe handle:thumbsup:

Back