axes of the movies

The western novel "Shane" starts out with Shane helping a frontier family clear out a stump with a heavy axe; it isan important scene to establish the relationship of the former gunfighter Shane to his adopted family. A film version was made, but I cannot remember if the axe scene was part of the film. Can any movie experts help out? :cool:

I think the book was by Jack Schaefer in 1949, the film was from 1952. Correct me if I am wrong.:D

Last edited:
Maybe this thing?

Fire Axe Inc. JP Special Pickhead Firefighter Axe
http://www.firefightersafety.com/fire-axe.aspx

That same company makes an aluminum ceremonial axe, and it's more likely that they used it as its a prop that needs to be safe.
I don't have it anymore, but the pics on that companies website are what I based a wooden fire axe on that I made as a prop for Halloween when I was a kid. I really wish I still had it.

TLOTM
[video=youtube;sYVz2G-r01U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVz2G-r01U[/video]

The movie, "Where the Red Fern Grows", has several axe scenes, including an axedental death. The lil' punk axeualy deserved it.

The movie, "Where the Red Fern Grows", has several axe scenes, including an axedental death. The lil' punk axeualy deserved it.

I only remember seeing the one axe though, the double bit that his dad gave him.
It always intrigued me as it seemed to be a full sized double bit head on a hatchet length handle.

I only remember seeing the one axe though, the double bit that his dad gave him.
It always intrigued me as it seemed to be a full sized double bit head on a hatchet length handle.

His dad hands him a man sized double bit to finish chopping down the big sycamore that his first coon was treed in, too.
I remember seeing "Where the Red Fern Grows" on the playing now sign in front of the local drive-in when it was first released.

His dad hands him a man sized double bit to finish chopping down the big sycamore that his first coon was treed in, too.
I remember seeing "Where the Red Fern Grows" on the playing now sign in front of the local drive-in when it was first released.

That's right, I forgot about the full.sized db he's handed to finish the tree off.

Looks like a real Firefighter axe to me...
There is one outfit making high polish axes quite like that Breaking Bad example.

Another couple classic movie scenes is "Magnificent Seven" Charles Bronson splitting wood with a Shipwright style axe,
Later a Mexican Bandito ends up with a similar axe embedded in his torso via a vengeful villager.
It could well been the same axe from the Props Dept...

Yea i think its called the jp special from fire ax inc they are pretty awesome ive wanted one also wanted the badaxx

Yea i think its called the jp special from fire ax inc they are pretty awesome ive wanted one also wanted the badaxx

That's definitely the maker, but they also make an aluminum ceremonial version ( armorers always try to avoid real steel blades whenever possible, so I'm still assuming it may be the aluminum version )

They are an awesome liking axe though.

"STRAIT-JACKET" (1964) STARRING JOAN CRAWFORD AND DIANE BAKER
Strait_Jckt_05.jpg

ps6WRI6dnGryN9a0xwiTaV8zwAo.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Just watched Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando last night.1985.At the start Arnie is splitting wood and catches a reflection in a really shiny axe.Prominant in the axe is True Temper.Later while rescuing his daughter he takes out some random South {or maybe central} American guerilla with a meaty double bit.
at about 5.16 for axe

1.14.30 for double bit and 1.15.54 for the use of

Last edited:
While not a movie, Rick Grimes' hatchet sees some pretty heavy use in The Walking Dead. Supposedly it is a Cold Steel Gang Hatchet. Every time he uses it, I turn to my wife and say, "Nice axe!" She just rolls her eyes.

Back