Axis Assist. Contradicted myself... twice

Centermass

Gold Member
So, not too long ago on here, another poster asked about a certain model, and somehow the conversation turned to the pros and cons of Axis Assist and side-opening auto knives. In my infinite wisdom, I vigorously professed how assisted models in general provide no real benefit over most Axis manuals or side opening automatics, so one might as well just get either of those and forget about the totally superfluous assist option...

Fast forward from then (what, a couple of weeks?) and let’s just say I recently happened upon a couple of great deals on the secondary market for a 495 Vector and a 477 Emissary. Yes, yes, horrible Axis Assist knives.

The Vector, while a flipper, and perhaps not for everybody in the aesthetics department, is a great knife in my opinion. It did take some getting used to, since it’s an Axis lock knife without any thumb deploying options, but I really do like it quite a bit.

As for the Emissary, I’ve admired them since their release, the large model in particular, and had one of the Aqua 477-1’s some years ago for a very brief time before I traded it to a buddy to get my beloved 710 back (don’t ask), so out of sight and out of mind it went. Yet, it still intrigued me, taunted me. Their price always put me off though, even secondhand, from getting another, until I found the deal last week. When I received it today, I quickly remembered just what a lean, light, and quick deploying knife it is, and couldn’t imagine why I got rid of the first one years ago.

Do I regret making what I still think are valid points about why Axis manuals or side-opening autos might make more sense from a practicality aspect? Nah. Sometimes, though, the heart wants what the heart wants for reasons outside of the practical. Hell, if it were about practicality, most of us wouldn’t have as many knives as we do... right?

I bought a 580 off a guy at work (give away price) and even though it certainly isn't my favourite by any means, it still is a decent knife. It's been through hell and back but still operates just fine. I did de-assist it briefly but my OCD drove me nuts and I had to re-assist back again (that was an interesting ordeal, thank goodness for youtube).

Another reason I re-assisted it is since I already had more than enough Benchmade's is I had all the fidgetability I needed and also since I live in Canada, assisted open knives are getting rather scarce. I almost bought the Emissary once but another model won out, too bad it would have been a nice addition...

The Vector, while a flipper, and perhaps not for everybody in the aesthetics department, is a great knife in my opinion. It did take some getting used to, since it’s an Axis lock knife without any thumb deploying options, but I really do like it quite a bit.

I'm also not a huge fan of assist knives, but the Vector is probably my favorite knife of all time. I think Benchmade's assist is a lot better than some of the ones that use a torsion spring instead of the coil spring. I think the action on my Vectors is a lot closer to the action on a regular detent based flipper than most other assisted flippers.

I used to think assists were just for cheapo knives but I got a Mini Barrage in a trade 2 years ago and it completely won me over. Probably the nicest-feeling assisted knife I've had. Ended up going to a friend but I still miss it sometimes. I think a well made assist has its place, even if you're looking at it from a practicality standpoint.

Last edited:
Silent H, I agree the Vector is a great, and probably underrated knife. Would I rather it had a more traditional blade grind? Mmmmaybe, but it’s definitely neat looking, and part of the overall aesthetic appeal. Honestly, it performs as well as I need it to for any tasks I might need it for. It’s not like I’m using it for bushcraft, game dressing, or food prep. Do you have the 495 or the newer 496? When the 496 came out, I was very impressed with the look (especially from Benchmade) although the thought of sharpening that recurved compound grind admittedly makes me hesitate juuuuust a little. I have a feeling I’ll end up with one when the price is right :)

Shady, I understand where you’re coming from with cheapy knives being assisted, especially as cheapy knives tend to be assisted just to have a cool high-speed low-drag gimmick to make them appealing to certain buyers. I will say I’ve had plenty of good knives over the years which were assisted before I became accustomed to really good manuals and autos. Early in my career in law enforcement I carried a Kershaw Blur, and it served me just fine. My biggest turn off with the Barrage line is the base models with the FRN handles. I always take those off my Griptilians, too, because although perfectly functional, they just feel and sound cheap to me. In my opinion for the price, and considering other options offered in the current market, I feel G10 should just be the base offering. Yes, I know G10 versions exist, and I do like them, but I have always especially admired that G10/Aluminum bolstered 581, but never pulled the trigger. If I do, that’ll be the one.

Oh great, thanks a lot. Now you have me pining for another knife. Except even though AO are "legal" to own in Canada, we have thieves that man the border, so I'll have to smuggle one in shoved down the front of my pants.
Sure hope it has a safety lock...

Oh great, thanks a lot. Now you have me pining for another knife. Except even though AO are "legal" to own in Canada, we have thieves that man the border, so I'll have to smuggle one in shoved down the front of my pants.
Sure hope it has a safety lock...
That's why I haven't ordered an Emissary although I've been eyeing this one for a while. I just see now that it's being discontinued too!

You will find nothing but enabling on this site. You’re welcome lol.

Do you have the 495 or the newer 496?

I have 2 of the 495s, and one 496, I'll probably end up with another 496 at some point too. I think the action on my 495s is slightly better, but they may be a little more broken in at this point.

Also I'd like to see the sales stats on the 495, I figured it was underrated and headed for the discontinued list because I don't see much love for it here. I guess it's more popular than I thought, considering they released another version of it. Maybe it's one of those knives that's not that popular with the types of enthusiasts that frequent the forums, but sells well to the masses.

nvCAX7p.jpg

Nice! Interesting that the action on the 495 is better. I wonder if that might be due to less mass in the blade (especially at the tip, where the 496 has the thicker, heavier flat ground portion) given that they likely use the same springs since everything else on the 496 from the pivot back just looks to be only a slight cosmetic variation from the 495.

I'm convinced that the difference in the actions has to do with the 495 being older and more broken in at this point.

Not really into the Vector but the full size Emissary looks awesome.

A nice looking blade - pointy and down to business if it every comes up,good blade geometry that not too thin that cuts,lightning fast blade deployments,a great ergo for saber grip,and quality S30V that takes a nice sharp edge.

nAiFEG4.jpg

60cbcTA.jpg

The barrage is also my other favorite BM assisted opener.

20191203_215358.jpg
Personal opinion. But one of the best assisted axis knives benchmade has ever made. Really wished there M390 was run just a little harder but over all this has found a permanent place in my collection. I did have it up for sale a little while back. So glad no one picked it up.

Not really into the Vector but the full size Emissary looks awesome.

A nice looking blade - pointy and down to business if it every comes up,good blade geometry that not too thin that cuts,lightning fast blade deployments,a great ergo for saber grip,and quality S30V that takes a nice sharp edge.

nAiFEG4.jpg

60cbcTA.jpg

The barrage is also my other favorite BM assisted opener.

I think you summed up very well the aspects I appreciate most about the Emissary.

Back