AXIS Lock Developments/Derivatives List

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
One of my favorite aspects of the knife maker's art is in the different mechanisms, especially locks. One of the great modern locks is the AXIS lock, invented by knifemakers Bill McHenry and Jason Williams, and licensed and sold by Benchmade, who continue to own the trademark. The patent, however, expired a while ago and we have now seen other knife companies coming out with AXIS-style locking knives.

I'd like to compile a list. I was, frankly, not expecting so many AXIS-style locking knives being sold. Seeing so many has made me curious if these locks are simply the original AXIS locks with another name or if anyone is actually making modifications/improvements. If you know the answer to this question, please post!

For the purposes of this thread I am defining the "original AXIS lock" as the one most often seen on Benchmades: a round bar sliding longitudinally against the blade tang with ambidextrous buttons and a pair of omega springs.

In making this list I am taking a neutral stance about the ethics of using the AXIS lock design. From previous discussions I know that some members believe that, despite the patent expiration, Benchmade has a moral right to the exclusive use of the AXIS lock. Some members believe that the patent expiration means that the lock should be exploited by others. What I would like to avoid is including any knives that used the lock illegally. Notable scumbag Will Moon's Spindle lock is included on the list despite him being a notable scumbag that hopefully no one will buy from.

KNIVES/COMPANIES:

• Benchmade Anthem Lock. Modifications/improvements: single coil spring and push rod.
  • Benchmade 665 APB Lock. Modifications/improvements: button actuated.
  • Benchmade 1500-181 Cigar Cutter Lock. Modifications/improvements: "It's pretty similar to a normal AXIS lock, except the base theory is different. The cigar cutter has a dual face wedging interaction in the closed position that's unique among AXIS lock knives. The ramp just below the "lock" face slides the lock stud back, so the geometry of that feature is critical." [CLAIMED]
  • Boker "Ambi-Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Gerber "Pivot Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Hogue/HK "Pivot Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Hogue/Ritter "ABLE Lock." Modifications/improvements: "superior finish and geometry for smoother operation, a tougher lock bar and Wolff omega springs." [CLAIMED]
  • Massdrop/Millit/Schwartz Lock. Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • SOG "XR Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • WE ""Sliderlock/Slidelock." Modifications/improvements: exterior mounted titanium helical spring. Locks open and closed.
  • Wilkins "Sliding Bar Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Will Moon "Spindle Lock." Modifications/improvements: dual coil springs and push rods. Enclosed spring channels.

Can anyone contribute? I suspect that for several of them the answer to "modifications/improvements" is "none."

Last edited:
I'd consider spydercos ball bearing lock pretty similar. The use of a ball bearing makes it different I guess. The different spring mechanism might be considered an improvement by some.
I'm really looking for locks that are directly derivative of the AXIS. Essentially, locks that would have violated the now-expired patent.

How about the Cold Steel Recon1? The ultra-loc I believe. Had one, then the legal thing happened & poof...no more.

How about the Cold Steel Recon1? The ultra-loc I believe. Had one, then the legal thing happened & poof...no more.
I believe that it would fall under the "no illegal locks" clause. :) Though I am interested in it. Was it very similar?

Very similar. Enough for BM to step in & put a stop to it. But the engagement of the blade might have been different. The thumb stubs were different. I'd have to research it. It was way before I started disassembling my pieces as I'd acquired them.

P.S.: Ultra Lock was trademarked by CS.

P.S.S.: I now remember the disassembly of my Recon once because the stop pin cracked. Flickin that blade was fun. And I do believe this site was the one I tried to get some info on it before I took it apart. Go figure.

Edit:
f2CMayg.png

Last edited:
Very similar. Enough for BM to step in & put a stop to it. But the engagement of the blade might have been different. The thumb stubs were different. I'd have to research it. It was way before I started disassembling my pieces as I'd acquired them.

P.S. Ultra Lock was trademarked by CS.

Edit:
f2CMayg.png
Very interesting!

Shirogorov had knives with it.
Yeah, but those were made before the patent expired (illegally).

Benchmade came out with the 1500-181 cigar cutter last year, and they advertised it as having a new patent-pending axis lock. When asked about it on their own forum site, one of their employees described it as:

It's kind of an interesting deal..

It's pretty similar to a normal AXIS lock, except the base theory is different. The cigar cutter has a dual face wedging interaction in the closed position that's unique among AXIS lock knives. The ramp just below the "lock" face slides the lock stud back, so the geometry of that feature is critical, and part of this patent as well.

There may indeed be future applications outside of cigar cutters.

I couldn't find anything else on it in a cursory search.

One of my favorite aspects of the knife maker's art is in the different mechanisms, especially locks. One of the great modern locks is the AXIS lock, invented by knifemakers Bill McHenry and Jason Williams, and licensed and sold by Benchmade, who continue to own the trademark. The patent, however, expired a while ago and we have now seen other knife companies coming out with AXIS-style locking knives.

I'd like to compile a list. I was, frankly, not expecting so many AXIS-style locking knives being sold. Seeing so many has made me curious if these locks are simply the original AXIS locks with another name or if anyone is actually making modifications/improvements. If you know the answer to this question, please post!

For the purposes of this thread I am defining the "original AXIS lock" as the one most often seen on Benchmades: a round bar sliding longitudinally against the blade tang with ambidextrous buttons and a pair of omega springs.

In making this list I am taking a neutral stance about the ethics of using the AXIS lock design. From previous discussions I know that some members believe that, despite the patent expiration, Benchmade has a moral right to the exclusive use of the AXIS lock. Some members believe that the patent expiration means that the lock should be exploited by others. What I would like to avoid is including any knives that used the lock illegally. Notable scumbag Will Moon's Spindle lock is included on the list despite him being a notable scumbag that hopefully no one will buy from.

KNIVES/COMPANIES:

• Benchmade "Anthem." Modifications/improvements: single coil spring and push rod.
  • Gerber "Pivot Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Hogue/HK "Pivot Lock." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • Hogue/Ritter "ABLE Lock." Modifications/improvements: "superior finish and geometry for smoother operation, a tougher lock bar and Wolff omega springs." [CLAIMED]
  • Massdrop/Millit/Schwartz. Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • SOG "XR." Modifications/improvements: unknown.
  • WE "Double Helix." Modifications/improvements: Exterior mounted helical spring. Locks open and closed.
  • Will Moon "Spindle Lock." Modifications/improvements: dual coil springs and push rods. Enclosed spring channels.

Can anyone contribute? I suspect that for several of them the answer to "modifications/improvements" is "none."

What about the Benchmade 665 APB assisted knife. It has the button actuated axis lock. You don’t pull the axis lock back rather pushing either or both buttons somehow pulls the bar back for you.

665.jpg

The knife looks like a freakin’ nightmare to disassemble. (Well reassemble actually)

benchmade-665-apb-insides.jpg

I think the WE Double Helix is the knife. I believe they called the lock the "sliderlock" or "slidelock". I might also add that their springs are titanium to the modifications/improvements. I don't think they've claimed an improvement in this area, but they have got to be more robust than the BM omega springs.

Yeah, but those [Shirogorov] were made before the patent expired (illegally).
Not to be pedantic, but unless Benchmade held a Russian patent, they were not made illegally. If anyone, the US importer or seller (Recon1?) broke the law.

Not to be pedantic, but unless Benchmade held a Russian patent, they were not made illegally. If anyone, the US importer or seller (Recon1?) broke the law.
Of course, it's possible that Benchmade had any number of overseas patents. I doubt it but I don't know.

It seems that I am having difficuly expressing the intent of this thread. I am looking to compile a list of knives derivative of the original AXIS lock that were produced after the patent expired with the goal of seeing how said producers approached that production. Did they make changes to the lock or just use it straighforwardly?

It might be too early for manufactures to improve on something that works just by copying it. But your question does intrigue me. I can't wait to see someone improve upon this lock.

Leroi Price has a channel and a couple of books on just about every folding knife lock in the world.

See vid description on this one for details.

I am looking to compile a list of knives derivative of the original AXIS lock that were produced after the patent expired with the goal of seeing how said producers approached that production. Did they make changes to the lock or just use it straighforwardly?
I think the list of non-Benchmade knives using the Axis lock, as originally patented, is quite short.

If you're looking for improvements/changes to the Axis lock, I suspect you will find that many more of those were done before the recent expiration of the patent, since improvements are themselves patentable. If that interests you, just look at patents that reference the original Axis patent. Those number 56 in all, spanning 1997 to 2015.

Back