Axis Lock fixes

You may have a problem child. It happens.

One known problem is that the Bugout uses a titanium cross bar to save weight. However, titanium locking surfaces are known to cause lock stick. Maybe there's some variance in the hardness of this locking bar that causes more or less stick. Degreasing the locking surface on thethe blade and lightly coating it with Sharpie usually helps.

I hope Benchmade takes a thorough look at it and gets it running right.

You may have a problem child. It happens.

One known problem is that the Bugout uses a titanium cross bar to save weight. However, titanium locking surfaces are known to cause lock stick. Maybe there's some variance in the hardness of this locking bar that causes more or less stick. Degreasing the locking surface on thethe blade and lightly coating it with Sharpie usually helps.

I hope Benchmade takes a thorough look at it and gets it running right.
Old thread but no definitive answer. So I thought I would post the fix. You are right its the Titanium Lock bar. Replace it with stainless steel lock bar that you can get from places like Etsy and it will fix gritty and sticking lock on Bugout.

Not to start a beef, but someone suggested lubricating the axis lock slot. I'd personally recommend against that, as lubricant on locking faces exacerbates lock stick.
Only the washers need lubrication, in my opinion.
I lube the pivot and the Axis slot on my Benchmades (Grippy, 710, Mini Rukus) with a drop of BreakFree CLP occasionally, figuring some also gets worked onto the Omega springs. Haven't experienced any lock stick.

I lube the pivot and the Axis slot on my Benchmades (Grippy, 710, Mini Rukus) with a drop of BreakFree CLP occasionally, figuring some also gets worked onto the Omega springs. Haven't experienced any lock stick.
You wont if you dont have a titanium lock bar. Its caused from the rubbing of titanium of the bar lock on the steel of the knife. If your knife has a steel lock it will work right.

Back