Azrael design history

Hi,

Since you have only a small number of threads here, but are rapidly gaining popularity, I wanted to drop in and say "hello" and also ask about the design of the Azrael.

I have owned and trained with Douk Douks for a long time and have always loved their sturdy composition and aggressive design (attached are some pics). The Azrael looks like a Douk Douk on steroids, with better steel, greater ease of opening, and framelock instead of no lock at all.

I am not sure if you used the Douk Douk for inspiration or just worked at your drafting board until you came upon this design yourself, but I have to say I love it and am very impressed and am glad you are doing it with regularity - that means I should be able to pick one up in the near future (if I am quick to the draw, that is...).

You should really let Laci Szabo know what you're up to, he would love your work!

Attachments

• doukdoukfixed.jpg
    doukdoukfixed.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 120
  • doukdoukfolder.jpg
    doukdoukfolder.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 73
It actually came about out of convenience for me. The original knife design was a fixed blade. Later before I did any grinding I paid someone to make the folder and the original fixed blade. Originally the folder had an infidel logo cut into the right side. I did a couple of them once I started grinding and decided to make some changes to make it easier on me since I was still new at the whole grinding thing. I took the cad of the knife and cut out the recurve and shrunk it to make it easier to grind. So there ya go the nutshell version of how it came to be. I took my original folder design and removed what was hard for me to grind as a beginner and what was left of the blade ended up being the Azrael's blade.

I'm actually having some more of the infidel logo frames cut and may make some more of them minus the camo pattern.

both of these are early so forgive the grinds. Posted for reference only.
recurve1.JPG

normal_fld1.jpg

The knife on the brown background was the prototype for the original folder and was not ground by me. On all the subsequent folders a larger pivot (10mm) was used in the place of the .250" one here.
normal_P1010012.JPG

"both of these are early so forgive the grinds. Posted for reference only."

Well, all I can say is that they are still awesome looking knives, and I only wish I could do what you are doing :thumbup:
Fantastic work,
Duncan.

Very neat. You have a very nice design and, as a fan of knives designed much like your Azrael, I must say you are definitely very tactically minded, even if only subliminally so.

Hopefully you can quit your job and do this for a living. No doubt we'd all appreciate the continuous output.

I am seeing an Infidel in my future , I must be psychotic , I mean Psychic ,whatever I' m definitely an Infidel and that knife has my name on it . Got to have it. :jerkit:

Back