Photos Azwelke Custom Kydex Sheaths for Randall and Dozier Knives

I just ordered some custom kydex from Al Welke for a few knives. The sheaths are fantastic quality and have really added to the function of the knives. I am so impressed I want to share some pictures.

First of all, I love my EDC fixed blades. I usually carry one as a neck knife or in my front pocket. Sometimes on the belt is fine but I find neck or pocket carry is more out of the way and raises less eyebrows around town.

Here is my Randall Model 5 Small Camp and Trail. This has been a user since the day I got it. The Sullivan leather sheath is great, but is not that quick in and out. The result is that I just haven't been using this knife that much.

oxk7HJq.jpg

This kydex taco with hybrid belt loop is a great package. It is solid and secure and much faster to deploy and stow than the original leather. The knife is available and replaced without skipping a beat. The result is I use it more and am less likely to leave it sitting out and forget where I left it.

M3AXqvK.jpg

But most of the time I have it on para-cord around neck and under shirt. I was never convinced I'd find this useful until I tried it. It was a Murray Carter neck knife that I first got used to wearing and now I'm a neck knife believer. The stag handle is probably the upper limit of what fits comfortably around the neck but it still works.

XPTPIW6.jpg

Next is a reasonably new Dozier K2 General Purpose Hunter. I saw the green oak handle on AG Russell and loved it. I figured this was a skinning and game blade. After spending some time with it, I understand where the "General Purpose" comes from. No hunting or game, but I have still been using it every day for the last month as a neck knife. This is the pancake sheath. It is wider than the taco but doesn't feel bigger and sits comfortably across the chest.

ky77o4w.jpg

This knife wants to slice! It holds a great edge as expected. I've never been able to find a comfortable spot for Bob's horizontal kydex sheaths. I got a left hand one from AG Russell when I bought the knife and do best wearing that on my right hip, but I still worry about slicing off a love handle putting it back. Bottom line is that I just wasn't reaching for the knife because I didn't have a way to carry it that felt like it worked for me. Problem solved.

J9ALnk1.jpg

This will also fit various positions with the hybrid belt loop. It can be tied on to anything I want with some para-cord through the rivet loops.

Finally I saw this Dozier Agent with carbon fiber on eBay recently. It's a stout knife, not light but compact. The blade stock is not as thick as most of the other Dozier tactical line and this one is thinly ground. It looks like a great utility knife and will fit in the pocket or round the neck. I haven't used it yet really. I like to set a fairly acute angle bevel on a new knife and with the Dozier D2 that takes a good amount of time grinding on the bench stone.

Uq66YKD.jpg

All the sheaths are an excellent secure fit and snap into place solidly. The blades are not touching the inside of the sheath so I haven't noticed any scratches from dirt, dust and sand on the blades. The kydex is thicker than I've seen from any other makers.

Aside from the great workmanship, the overall message is that by making carrying and using a knife easier, the knife gets carried and used more! With the new sheaths I'm finally using these knives instead of leaving them in the drawer.

Thanks Al Welke for some great work! I've got more to send pretty soon.

Please ask if you have any questions about the knives or whatever. I'm a long time follower of Blade Forums but this is my first post - thanks for reading!

RlMfcuB.jpg

I just ordered some custom kydex from Al Welke for a few knives. The sheaths are fantastic quality and have really added to the function of the knives. I am so impressed I want to share some pictures.

First of all, I love my EDC fixed blades. I usually carry one as a neck knife or in my front pocket. Sometimes on the belt is fine but I find neck or pocket carry is more out of the way and raises less eyebrows around town.

Here is my Randall Model 5 Small Camp and Trail. This has been a user since the day I got it. The Sullivan leather sheath is great, but is not that quick in and out. The result is that I just haven't been using this knife that much.

oxk7HJq.jpg

This kydex taco with hybrid belt loop is a great package. It is solid and secure and much faster to deploy and stow than the original leather. The knife is available and replaced without skipping a beat. The result is I use it more and am less likely to leave it sitting out and forget where I left it.

M3AXqvK.jpg

But most of the time I have it on para-cord around neck and under shirt. I was never convinced I'd find this useful until I tried it. It was a Murray Carter neck knife that I first got used to wearing and now I'm a neck knife believer. The stag handle is probably the upper limit of what fits comfortably around the neck but it still works.

XPTPIW6.jpg

Next is a reasonably new Dozier K2 General Purpose Hunter. I saw the green oak handle on AG Russell and loved it. I figured this was a skinning and game blade. After spending some time with it, I understand where the "General Purpose" comes from. No hunting or game, but I have still been using it every day for the last month as a neck knife. This is the pancake sheath. It is wider than the taco but doesn't feel bigger and sits comfortably across the chest.

ky77o4w.jpg

This knife wants to slice! It holds a great edge as expected. I've never been able to find a comfortable spot for Bob's horizontal kydex sheaths. I got a left hand one from AG Russell when I bought the knife and do best wearing that on my right hip, but I still worry about slicing off a love handle putting it back. Bottom line is that I just wasn't reaching for the knife because I didn't have a way to carry it that felt like it worked for me. Problem solved.

J9ALnk1.jpg

This will also fit various positions with the hybrid belt loop. It can be tied on to anything I want with some para-cord through the rivet loops.

Finally I saw this Dozier Agent with carbon fiber on eBay recently. It's a stout knife, not light but compact. The blade stock is not as thick as most of the other Dozier tactical line and this one is thinly ground. It looks like a great utility knife and will fit in the pocket or round the neck. I haven't used it yet really. I like to set a fairly acute angle bevel on a new knife and with the Dozier D2 that takes a good amount of time grinding on the bench stone.

Uq66YKD.jpg

All the sheaths are an excellent secure fit and snap into place solidly. The blades are not touching the inside of the sheath so I haven't noticed any scratches from dirt, dust and sand on the blades. The kydex is thicker than I've seen from any other makers.

Aside from the great workmanship, the overall message is that by making carrying and using a knife easier, the knife gets carried and used more! With the new sheaths I'm finally using these knives instead of leaving them in the drawer.

Please ask if you have any questions about the knives or whatever. I'm a long time follower of Blade Forums but this is my first post - thanks for reading!

RlMfcuB.jpg

oxk7HJq.jpg

M3AXqvK.jpg

XPTPIW6.jpg

ky77o4w.jpg

J9ALnk1.jpg

Uq66YKD.jpg

RlMfcuB.jpg
Do you have to send your knives to him for fitting?

Oh yeah Al’s kydex sheaths do not disappoint !!! Top notch maker :thumbsup::)

Do you have to send your knives to him for fitting?
He's got a list on his website... if the knife for which you need a sheath isn't there, you'll have to send yours.

Back