• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

[B]Rhino Finger Skins.[/B]

Hello fellow Knife makers.

After years of flat grinding my blades mostly post heat treat, I tired of that sore burnt spot in middle of my thumbs and the painful cuts on the sides of my index fingers I would sometimes get from those nasty thin Mylar belts.

Gloves were to cumbersome and also dangerous to wear around moving machinery and I found some small finger cots made of leather that helped but I couldn't really feel the steel when flat grinding.

So I invented Rhino Finger Skins These are made of a surgical grade Neoprene that streches both directions and gives full sensation. You can pick up a dime with them on.FingerSkins.jpg

You will receive two fingers and two thumbs, I put these on my thumb and index finger but you can protect any digit you like with Rhino Finger Skins.

Rhino Finger Skins come in Safety orange, Two fingers and two thumbs shipped to your door For $16.95

You can view more information on RFS at my site, www.rhinoknives.com

You get a No Questions asked 100% satisfaction guarantee, If you aren't happy just mail them back and I will refund ALL of your money.

Questions and comments are very welcome from interested makes and current users.
I will continue to post pictures of Rhino Finger Skins in use by myself & many other makers.

Thanks for looking. Please use the Paypal link below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc…=5WP93FEGXXFTS

This is a picture and account of Usage of Rhino Finger Skins By our own member here.

Master Smith, Mr. Bruce Bump.

"I finally got the chance to try out my set of skins. These fit very tight and won't come loose. I've tried several types of gloves but can't feel what I'm doing. I can feel my blade but not heat with the Rhino Skins. These Generation II with the enclosed finger tips are a great improvement over the first generation skins.

This is a 12" blade and I'm hollow grinding on my new 24" wheel.

These rhino skins make the finish grinding a breeze. Generally I would have to dip the blade after every few passes because its too warm to grind comfortably. The heat isn't enough to soften the hardened blade but its just hot enough to make me move quickly for the slack bucket. This high carbon steel will rust easily with repeated dips and cause me to do extra hand sanding. With the skins I can
concentrate on the final grinding with the higher grit belts.
Money well spent when these will save time and allow a better grind.
Good product Laurence"

BruceBSkins.jpg

Isn't that monster wheel cool! Bruce made it from a wheel off of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

Here is another knife making task where Rhino Finger Skins excel,

Slack belt handle sculpting, here I am sculpting the handle on one of my Rhino Chop knives for a nice lady that has particularly small hands. I am running a 120 grit super flex belt. I've got the Hardcore running at at 30% speed here and you always want to be careful doing this or any other knife work.

Have your finger ride around that bottom wheel is a sobering experience, Ask me how I know this? :hurt:

FingerSScuplt.jpg

Hey guys- :)

I have a set of these in the shop that came from Laurence, and they are really cool. :cool:

I HATE wearing gloves. About the only type of glove I ever wear in the shop while grinding was the finger-tip cutoffs of some of my old TIG gloves. They work fairly well, but they slip around on my fingers. And if you don't just happen to have an old pair of TIG gloves laying around, you probably don't want to go buy a $20 pair of gloves just to cut the fingers off. ;)

The Rhino skins from Laurence are fairly similar, yet being neopreme, they stay put! They don't roll around on your fingers.

I should point out that you gotta be smarter than I am, and don't use them for heavy hogging. :foot: LOL... I burned one pretty good with a heavy shower of sparks off a 60X ceramic belt running ballz out.

I think the coolest thing for me, is using them to add a little bit of back up to a slack belt, like Laurence mentioned above. OS.HA would have a cow, because you gotta be really careful not to send your finger on a trip between the belt and contact wheel... but it can be a very effective method when needed.

I found out they work great for hand saddle stitching leather as well.

Very cool product Laurence! :thumbup:

[video=youtube;xIoQegYnP5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoQegYnP5o[/video]

Nick,
Thanks for stopping by and giving your results with Rhino Finger Skins

RFS can take up to 400 degrees from a soldering iron without burning but you can burn holes in them on fire if you shower them in sparks. Keep your fingers out of the shower of fire and you will be fine.

Another place in the shop where RFS work great is cleaning up your flats on a disc grinder.

There seems to to some trouble with my paypal link? I will look into that when I am at the shop computer in a couple of hours, I am on my Ipad and still learning. If you like? You can sent $16.95 shipped per set to my paypal email.
rhinokknives@msn.com

Thanks for the PM's and and orders.

Laurence

You mean no more hand sanding blisters, and sore fingers from that "almost burnt myself" level of heat? This is a genius plan. I have been using the green self fusing knuckle wrap on my finger tips, but it always falls off. Great concept here.

You mean no more hand sanding blisters, and sore fingers from that "almost burnt myself" level of heat? This is a genius plan. I have been using the green self fusing knuckle wrap on my finger tips, but it always falls off. Great concept here.
Grayzer86,
Thanks for stopping by.
That's the problem I wanted to solve and feel that my skins do a excellent job of. I also used all kinds of different tape and and even leather finger cots and the tape doesn't let feel what you are doing properly and then falls off and leather finger cots are marginal at best in the sensation department and they also fall off.

Many times during the day while working in the shop I have dialed a phone, written up a customers order and even typed on a keyboard to reply here at BFs with my skins on.

I haven't yet sent any RFS to Canada yet, but I will ship at my cost with a $2.00 discount to any makers in Canada that want to get a set of RFS?

Rhino Finger Skins work great when using cork belt with green chrome and dunking frequently.

image.jpg If you get them wet it's no problem, unlike leather finger cots, RFS won't shrink if you get them wet. Also If you want to wash your skins? Just use a dad of dish washing soap and put them in a open window sill or other place where there is some air moving.

Thanks for looking and thanks for all of the response to RFS. All questions and comments are welcome.

Dude, that's brilliant. Sure would be nice for stitching sheaths. I use my kevlar cut resistant gloves for now, but I bet those RFS's would be perfect.

Dude, that's brilliant. Sure would be nice for stitching sheaths. I use my kevlar cut resistant gloves for now, but I bet those RFS's would be perfect.

Hello and thanks for stopping by,
RFS let you have complete dexterity and give heat and some abrasive protection while doing any work.
Have another batch bagged up and ready.image.jpg

Do these come in different sizes?

I mostly have a "large" that will really fit 90% of all men. I do have a few of a small size from an order I sold to a large jewelers supply house that has many women customers. So if there are any lady or small handed makers I have some for you too.

Are they abrasion resistant as well or just for heat?

They are abrasive resist up to your 120 grit belts and I wear them while sharpening on a 2 x 72 they save me from those 3M Mylar micron belt nicks.

I do use them with 36 & 60 grit belts too but those belts will win every time just like they will destroy leather finger cots.
Still I rather have the Finger Skins get eaten than my fingers.

If you look at post #7 you will see me hand sanding with some older ones that saved me from a few nicks & cuts.

Does that help?

Yes it does. I was mostly worried about the size cause when I buy work gloves I have to search through the racks for the mediums....lol and my 12yo son does work on the grinder also.

Yes it does. I was mostly worried about the size cause when I buy work gloves I have to search through the racks for the mediums....lol and my 12yo son does work on the grinder also.

I can never find work gloves big enough for my mitts. lol
I suggest one of each size, The small for your son and the large for you.

Back