B&T / Paring Knife

Here are a couple of pics of my paring knife. This is SUCH a cool knife!!

uKXR3kA.jpg

XWPDw6I.jpg

Really did not notice until now how it looks like the thin blade of a B n T combined with the handle of an EDC Kephart. Looking at it in a different light.

I was able to try out the bird and trout during the pass around for 2 weeks. I posted comments at the time but never consolidated and placed them in the correct location for a proper review. Better late than never I suppose. Most of this isn't new, just a recap.

I'll start with the fact that this is listed as a paring/bird and trout knife. I don't cook anything much past eggs for breakfast, and I don't do much hunting or fishing. But, I do enjoy using knives and I can try and give an opinion and pictures on the knife in the way that I typically use a knife.

This knife is just about perfect for me with respect to size. I've found that the case sodbuster jr is just the right size for me for most daily tasks. You can tell why I liked the JK paring knife much:

http://imgur.com/gallery/B4dBhM4

The paring knife handle is much more comfortable though. The blade shape is also better fore personally. I liked the point better than the rounded belly at this size. Since using the paring knife, I've been considering reprofiling my sodbuster jr to better match the paring knive's more "pointier" approach.

Steel:
I put this to pretty hard use with fire wood and some around the house type work. I also changed the edge to match my edge preference which is very thin. I can't do thin on all my knives because some roll or chip. This knife did neither despite some less than proper uses of the blade. Edge retention was very good and getting it sharp on a 1000 and 6000 grit water stone was very easy.

Not much else I can think of to review. Handle is great. Blade shape and thickness are great. Heat treat is great. You know the JK quality will be top notch. The micarta is perfect, especially for a knife you expect to use when conditions are wet. The knife is small, thin, comfortable to use and tough as nails. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Just a few extra pictures:

http://imgur.com/gallery/om1Z1qM
http://imgur.com/gallery/TqLuZ3U

In summary, if you are looking for a knife similar to this, you really can't go wrong with this one. To add to it, John is extremely responsive to any questions you have and is extremely easy to work with. And shop around, his prices really can't be beat for the quality of tool you receive.

I keep coming back to the handle shape, and how it will rest in the hand, I like the shape, will make it easier to control and comfortable in long term use.

Reviving an old thread to post a couple of new pictures.

I love my Pairing knife so much, I ordered a second one from John to keep in my lunch bag. Got this one in Maple Burl. SUCH a beautiful knife!
If you don’t have one of these, you are doing yourself an injustice.

Here it is a few days ago, after applying two coats of boiled linseed oil.
41rjo6H.jpg

Here is it today, after a few days worth of use. It’s starting to develop a nice patina, which I didn’t really expect since my first one doesn’t have a hint of it. And it’s been used heavily for several month.
CTCDcWD.jpg

We use the original knife almost daily, it sometimes gets a bluish tint after cutting tomatoes, but cleans up easily. It’s our most used knife.

I still have enough steel for a couple more of these, when it’s gone I won’t be ordering more. If you are interested in one order now before it’s too late.

Back