Baby Suga!

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hello Curvy Knife People,
I’m writing with a quick “unboxing” pic of my new baby - Suga!
9D255BC7-6D99-4364-91A6-7D0898DBBBAC.jpeg
Isn’t she precious??
Just wanted to say that Ram Kumar’s work is very nice. Auntie called this “villager fit and finish”, but while the blade is finished in a fairly rough satin, the handle - steel guards and bone scales, are better finished than most handmade knives I’ve owned. This one is unusual in that it has a sharpened swedge with a slight trailing point. There happens to be another one like mine for sale at the moment on this sub forum:
With the addition of a kydex sheath, this will be a Bhad Baby Suga for sure…

That’s a beauty right there. Love the curves. I believe the Suga knife was originally designed to have the swedge but as you know, the kamis gonna do what the kamis gonna do. Love what Ram Kumar did with this one. Glad it found a good home.

That’s a beauty right there. Love the curves. I believe the Suga knife was originally designed to have the swedge but as you know, the kamis gonna do what the kamis gonna do. Love what Ram Kumar did with this one. Glad it found a good home.
Thanks!
Interesting - the swedge definitely feels at home in the presence of the guard and birds beak pommel. If anyone happens to have a picture of a full-sized Suga with a swedge I’d love to see it…

This is Howard Wallace’s old Suga he donated back to Yangdu and I was lucky enough to get the DD. Sweet little knife.

Last edited:
Now that’s a curvy blade!
Yeah I recall seeing some swedges/trailing points on the full-sized Sugas and Uncle Bill Especials. In a search I did find another Baby Suga with a swedge posted awhile back, but most were standard drop point profiles. I’m really impressed with this knife. Will take more/better pics soon.

Great pix and post, thank you for sharing

I'm a big fan of the MMB. I just now got a couple out of the mail box to dress up the handles a bit for Auntie. Just finished checkering up one for my youngest son. Got another one for a coworker who was pretty impressed when he saw mine. Wear it everyday.

Yep! Im kinda fond of them myself! That baby Suga is definitely on my top handful of EDC's too! Maybe second but I do like the baby Spear Vala and the Cherokee Rose is awesome too. Glad I dont have to decide!

So preetee!!!

I lost count of how many "new" Sugas I got a hold on before the fever came down (in both sizes). One of the last ones I got was of the latest variation: larger blade but without the standard micro chakmak and karda.

Love them!

oh! i see these are a little larger than my Baby Sugas (mine are 7.5 inches or thereabouts). Cheaper in price too, and don't have a traditional cho.

The more I look at yours (and another recent one that is for sale), the more it looks like the kami went back for inspiration on the early Suga. sorry, i'm rambling now...

Last edited:
oh! i see these are a little larger than my Baby Sugas (mine are 7.5 inches or thereabouts). Cheaper in price too, and don't have a traditional cho.
Yeah this one one is 9” overall. Actually almost exactly the same overall length as my MMBB but more blade and less handle length.

The more I look at yours (and another recent one that is for sale), the more it looks like the kami went back for inspiration on the early Suga. sorry, i'm rambling now...
That’s what I’m thinking too after EricTheRedBeard pointed out the old ones had a swedge. I wasn’t used to seeing them with a sharpened swedge and I think it completes the design of this knife.

Back