BACK LOCK pics and description

Lock-SYS1.gif

Lock-SYS2.gif

Lock-SYS3.gif

Lock-SYS4.gif

Please excuse the pics...the lubricant on the knife really reflects light. But, I think these pics show in detail how the knife works as far as the back lock is concerned. One of the reasons this lockup is so strong is the distance the spine needs to be lifted to disengage the lock. This cannot be done accidently and smacking the back of the blade with a hammer has no effect!
I hope this answers some questions!

If the reader can imagine a Nemesis blade in these pictures, then the scale of the lock becomes more apparent.
I think the word overbuilt applies here.
Also, note the quality and size of the locking bar pivot.
Impressive.
Great pictures.
Thanks.

Thank you Frank,

I have saved the pictures for furture reference should I decide to put mine to testing in the future.

Appreciate all the assistance and explanations so far.

Brownie

Very informative!

Just curious though, how do owners of ER's think the cross bolt safety compares to the LAWKS?

I don't see a formal "kick" on the blade tang. What stops the edge from hitting the internals if it's snapped shut too quickly?

Any questions elsewhere about lock up on these should be directed to this thread. Pics are worth thousands of words.

Hopefully this will clear some things up:

BACK LOCK

All Extrema Ratio folders use a "back-lock", a standard and accepted locking mechanism also known as a "lockback". This is what is used in the classic Buck 110. The steel back-piece mates with a catch in the blade, essentially locking it there until you depress the back-piece, lifting it up so the blade can be moved.

CROSS BOLT

The ER models with a Cross-Bolt system work identically to the back-lock. The only difference is that a small steel pin has been inserted into the back piece. When the pin is moved from one side of the knife to the other (like a gun safety), it effectively stops the back-piece from being depressed, ensuring that there is no chance of accidental closure. The pin also keeps the knife from being accidentally opened, due to the fact that opening any lock back knife will (passively) cause the back-piece to depress itself slightly.

To sum it up: The back-lock is just like any classic lock-back pocketknife. Press the back down to unlock. The cross-bolt (when engaged) prevents you from pressing the back down to unlock it.

Back