Back Pocket Knives - Let's see 'em!!!

Dedicated back pocket knives... As I sit a lot I don't like much carrying in the back pocket. But they do well in a front pocket, too.
nwKzIB0.jpg
Love that A.G. russell rancher.

Back pocket would be great way to free some space from the front pockets but I’ve never liked anything in my ass pocket other than poo-bags for my dog and maybe handkerchief.

How sad some people can’t carry their own knives. Yet many here feel compelled to carry a spare one for them.

when asked if I have a knife I say “of course I have many”

if asked do you have a knife on you? “Since I was 6 years old”

Can I borrow your knife? “No”

only exception is my wife. Who gets whatever she wants.

Interesting, back pocket knives for me are flat knives that carry pretty well and must have a firm clip. My favorite is my CS 4" holdout. Also, my daggerr knives, byrds and manix lw get some back pocket time too. So i guess only the byrds would qualify under OPs definition.
Back pocket would be great way to free some space from the front pockets but I’ve never liked anything in my ass pocket other than poo-bags for my dog and maybe handkerchief.

I've modified a few pairs of pants to make back pocket carry more comfortable, especially with knives that have no clip. A lanyard/fob helps retrieve it.

Back Pocket by D P, on Flickr

What is the 4th from the left on the bottom row? LTWK? I usually cut what ever someone else needs to cut, but those kind of things are covered by my SA Alox Pioneer or a Opinel #6.
That’s a Hale Storm Alpha. Lol

I backpocket carry all my knives during the week at work and only time one rides clipped in my front pocket is the weekends. Usually a Hinderer, CRK, or some sort of Spyderco. If I carry two knives it’s usually a traditional in my front change pocket loose.

How sad some people can’t carry their own knives. Yet many here feel compelled to carry a spare one for them.

when asked if I have a knife I say “of course I have many”

if asked do you have a knife on you? “Since I was 6 years old”

Can I borrow your knife? “No”

only exception is my wife. Who gets whatever she wants.
I get that but usually us knife guys are just a nice bunch of people. And who doesn’t want to carry a second knife?

I let someone I work with handle a Buck 110 that had just came back from spa treatment. It was quite sharp and he caught his finger in it as he closed it to hand back. He cut himself very well. I don't carry it in my back pocket, but I keep it close to loan co-workers since then. Most know the story and are very careful if they bother to ask at all.

Like I said. I’ll usually lend mine but it always comes with a challenge to start carrying their own.

for me and most of us here. Not carrying a knife would be like leaving your finger nails at home. Just something you always have.

I just don’t understand anyone who doesn’t think it’s necessary.

More pics please.

Great stories. Hope to hear more.

"I don’t loan knives... period."

You beat me to it. I don't even hand a knife to someone as most of them want to "thumb the edge."

Yikes, I mirror polish my edges. They don't have to be checked, or admired or coveted. I bought the knife for me and me alone. If a guy thinks he wants a knife like mine I tell him to see one of my dealers...

I guess I should have named this post, "Why I don't loan knives to people".
The OP was about those of us who do carry a "secondary" knife of lesser value, for handing to someone when they say, "hey, does anyone have a knife"?, or "do you have a knife". I call them "back pocket knives" since I normally carry my edc in my front right pocket. They are the lesser quality knives that if dropped, or misused, won't tick me off. I call them this but they are also "loaners" (loan for a use at the moment and give right back, not loan for a period of time like a power tool to your buddy at work), or "beater knives".

Call them what you want, you get the idea.

I get the idea of telling someone to get their own knife. I do. But, for non knife people, they see it as something they don't need daily, just every now and then and then someone like me always has a knife handy, if not two or three.

So, lets see some more pics of back pocket knives, loaners, and beaters (arguably, there are already multiple threads on users and beaters but post them here anyway if they are the knives that fit this post description.

Here's a couple pics I found since I'm at work and don't have good pics on my phone at the moment.

download.jpg images.jpg

I don't even loan out "junk knives," simply because I do not carry junk.

If a newbie asks for a knife, I just tell them I'm sorry, I do not loan out cars, money or knives. If knife owners tell newbs this enough times, the guy might actually go out and buy his own.

I keep my folders with polished edges and clean blades. I don't want to get a 200-400 knife back with tape and glue all over it. To newbs, my knife is just a convenient putty knife.

I've never toted a knife in my back pocket. I even carry my wallet(slim)in a shirt pocket. I hate sitting on hard things.

I only carry the one knife. I usually have at least one beater knife that I will slightly abuse(my work knife). But all my co workers know I'm a knife guy and have all heard my speeches about how to properly use a knife. Only certain ones get to use my knife.

If I'm carrying a nicer knife on me and somebody I don't trust wants to use it, I just cut what ever it is for them. It's almost degrading to them in a respect, but then again, everybody I work with carries a knife now. They have all been passive aggressivly shamed at one time for not having one, lol.

Not a back pocket guy, but as far as beaters/loaners to just anyone, it's no more then your $30 or less kind of deal. Most of the time a rat 2.
But there was a time when I did carry 2 for the same reason the OP did. I personally just don't like to anymore.

Last edited:
My "back pocket Knife " stays in this tool belt pouch. Most days that pouch, if any pouch, is on my work belt. I found the knife in the street about a hunert yearago and that's what I lend the poor unfortunate truck drivers and coworkers who are oblivious to the fact that everyday work life might, just might, call on them to cut stuff now and then. Not to mention oblivious that owning and carrying a decent knife can be liberating, desirable, interesting and fun.

I keep it "sharp" and the pivot oiled. I even use it when I have to do something that might damage one of my good knives.

Some how the yoyos, errr . . . I mean coworkers, have taken it into their head that it is up to me to know where every box knife in the place is and to find it for them when they need something to cut with. (they know better than to touch let alone move or use the box knife at my work station).
I suppose they think that because I am "the knife guy" that I must have some sixth or seventh sense that allows me to "feel the presence" of all cutlery within a one kilometer radius or some such.

I've taken it into my head to not give a crap about their box knives where abouts. That said I have taken upon my self to collect and carefully label a drawer with scads of box knife blades and razor scrapers etc. . . . in the hopes that if one day any one of the legion of box knives were to ever be located and brought back they might be fed a new blade.

Hey !
I can dream can't I ?

Yuuup. I got ask for a box knife just a day or two ago.
Since I had actually sharpened that person's knife for them I asked : "is there a knife in your pocket ?"

I don't want to know what happened to it . . .
I didn't have the belt pouch on me at the time so I suppose the person finally had to gnaw through what ever it was they wanted to cut.

IMG_3652.jpg

Last edited:
Back