Back to basics

Which do you like better Will? Last year's knife or the 2015 CSC offering?

Some of us think that to get close to the actual older traditional knives with knives made today, the more faithful to their materials and methods is the right way to go. It’s not about one’s preference for certain materials, but about how to get close to the old knives and old ways of making them.

This illustrates why there's never any agreement on this issue. There are a number of variables in play, including: styling, covers, stainless/carbon, ingot/PM, bolster material, and construction. Some folks, like me, consider styling to be the only important variable. Others make different choices and some feel that all of the variables are important. I'm sure there's someone out there who doesn't consider a knife steel traditional unless it had it's carbon beaten into it with a hammer. It's possible to pick and choose which variables matter to you, so if you take these six variables as questions and give each one a yes/no answer, there are 64 different opinions available for any given knife. we've kinda drawn a line in the sand here and said that if you were to hand a knife to someone in 1964, the year the Buck 110 was introduced, and they wouldn't find it weird, then it's traditional. I like to picture the person I hand it to as a non-knife nut, like my Grandfather, rather than trying to project myself into the past. Knife nuts always obsess about unimportant details, it's in the job description. :)

What about a Kroo knife? I mean hes a pretty good mix of traditional and modern imo and K love his designs. Probably aren't going to get exactly what the OP is asking for but I don't see how you could be displeased with what he comes up with. I've always wanted the Chunk or whatever its called, but haven't gotten one yet.

For me, the most advanced steel used in a fairly available stockman was the ATS-34 used in some of the Schatt & Morgan knives. This four-incher from series IX was made in 1999, and is as nice as any stockman I own. Great steel, beautiful bone, and good to excellent F&F. They can still be found occasionally on the secondary markets.

Xkhi2lE.jpg

Back