"Backcountry" movie-not bad

Just watched this the other night.

I thought is was pretty good, and recommend it if you haven't seen it.
Fairly authentic/accurate, for the most part.

One scene I didn't get was when the characters eat the leaves of Wintergreen, but not the berries...hmmmm
But I am not an expert on that plant, so....

If you have seen it, what did you think?

(there is even some "big knife" action, for those that are into that sort of thing...and the use of a ferro rod)

Brome

I will have to look into that movie.
As far as Wintergreen leaves, I chew them whenever I'm walking about in the woods. I live in Maine and enjoy the taste, strong but pleasant. I always spit the leaves out when the juice is gone. Have never eaten the berries. Not sure they're 100% safe, really. Might be.

Ok, thank you for the clarifying info.
I have not had the chance to try them, but have read about them in a few of my edible plant books, that cover the Eastern US.
I understand you can make a tea from the leaves, like mint. \
Sounds nice.

I look forward to giving them a try someday.

Brome

I will have to look into that movie.
As far as Wintergreen leaves, I chew them whenever I'm walking about in the woods. I live in Maine and enjoy the taste, strong but pleasant. I always spit the leaves out when the juice is gone. Have never eaten the berries. Not sure they're 100% safe, really. Might be.
From Wikipedia:
The fruits of G. procumbens, considered its actual "teaberries", are edible, with a taste of mildly sweet wintergreen similar to the flavors of the Mentha varieties M. piperita (peppermint) and M. spicata (spearmint) even though G. procumbens is not a true mint.

Ok, thank you for the clarifying info.
I have not had the chance to try them, but have read about them in a few of my edible plant books, that cover the Eastern US.
I understand you can make a tea from the leaves, like mint. \
Sounds nice.

I look forward to giving them a try someday.

Brome
Yes, I have also done a tea with the leaves. Not bad. I did it once when I was hiking. I always have afternoon tea, but this time I'd forgotten the tea bag! The Wintergreen was a great makeshift brew.

From Wikipedia:
Thanks for the berry info :thumbsup:
Wikipedia is always correct, right :p

Thanks for the berry info :thumbsup:
Wikipedia is always correct, right :p
I always look at the source of the information. In this case they are citing Euell Gibbons' book Stalking the Healthful Herbs. Some of us old farts will remember Euell "You can eat a pine tree" Gibbons as the ad man for Grape Nuts Cereal many years ago.

Watched this last night on Netflix.
Sheesh... Left me a little freaked, esp. since it's a true story. That's a hell of a way to go :eek:
Nice Bowie knife though :thumbsup:

Back