Backpack advice requested

You might consider something other than a top-loader, traditional backpack then. Osprey is one of many companies that makes good split-duty designs. I gave up on top loaders many years back.

I've got a few packs but Osprey has been my favorite.

They are right as well, Osprey makes great packs.

ULA also makes great packs, lightweight but made from indestructible materials....most are top loading.

Not sure where you live, but there are a number of fantastic gear stores on the periphery of the major US trails. I'm sure you could spend hours in one of them to figure out more details on what you like (loading type, weight limit, size) and see a ton of packs. That's what I did with my ULA, went to a store in North GA and spent time with it on with weight in it to see how I liked packing, unpacking and wearing it.

I know they are pricey but they are worth it. I bought an Umlindi used but when I got it it was as close to new as I've seen. Unfortunately, it's too small for me so the wife got it!
I'll keep an eye on the secondary market for one. They are pricey. Thanks for the info!

They are right as well, Osprey makes great packs.

ULA also makes great packs, lightweight but made from indestructible materials....most are top loading.

Not sure where you live, but there are a number of fantastic gear stores on the periphery of the major US trails. I'm sure you could spend hours in one of them to figure out more details on what you like (loading type, weight limit, size) and see a ton of packs. That's what I did with my ULA, went to a store in North GA and spent time with it on with weight in it to see how I liked packing, unpacking and wearing it.
I like the fastpack. Lots of room and not super expensive. Thanks!

I have a medium size Badlands pack. The unique feature is it has a Suspension system that keeps the pack off your back and lets air flow through.

I have a medium size Badlands pack. The unique feature is it has a Suspension system that keeps the pack off your back and lets air flow through.
Cool, I'll look into them. Thanks! I'd gotten sidetracked and had forgotten about getting a new bag. Thanks for reminding me!

Plus their warranty is the best. They don’t care if you are the 1st, 2nd, or 100th owner— bought it at a yard sale..... threw it off a building- run over with your truck. They will replace it or fix it for free!

Plus their warranty is the best. They don’t care if you are the 1st, 2nd, or 100th owner— bought it at a yard sale..... threw it off a building- run over with your truck. They will replace it or fix it for free!
I saw the air suspension. A warranty like that is hard to beat. Usually means they stand behind their product

Surprised Mystery Ranch hasn’t been brought up. Good variety of sizes and designs and something different than the standard top loader / panel loader choices.

Surprised Mystery Ranch hasn’t been brought up. Good variety of sizes and designs and something different than the standard top loader / panel loader choices.
I've seen a number for sale on the exchange, they seem like they're of good quality, just slightly pricier than similar offerings. Thanks!

For airline carry-on size loads/ travel, the Mammut Neon 45 liter has a back panel that can be zipped completely open, as well as top loading opening. For larger loads (including backpacking), the REI Flash 55 liter is quite comfortable and lightweight.

For airline carry-on size loads/ travel, the Mammut Neon 45 liter has a back panel that can be zipped completely open, as well as top loading opening. For larger loads (including backpacking), the REI Flash 55 liter is quite comfortable and lightweight.
Thanks! Hadn't even considered mammut for a pack

Thanks! Hadn't even considered mammut for a pack

I've used the Mammut for both travel and for hiking. It's designed for cragging and comes with a rope tarp fwiw ;). (With a name like Mammut, it should come with an elephant toe knife, but unfortunately doesn't)

Last edited:
Ospreys are great....warranty is incredible. I had three, but I traded in one in the 2900cu in category for a Mystery Ranch and will never go back. Check out both and see what works for you....you really can't go wrong though....each has its place/purpose.

I loved the Camelbak Tri-zip pack that used the Mystery Ranch harness. Excellent design.

Check out Eberlestock. They make top tier packs that last forever. I have 3 and couldn’t be happier with them. If top loader is a no go they do offer packs that are both top and side load. Suspension system is adjustable, hip belts can be added/removed, and they offer a ton of choices.

Back