Backpack recommendation?

Hello fellow Beckerheads, it's been a while. Been super busy this summer, no time to get out fishing or camping! :eek:

I want to get a backpack for day hikes/possibly overnight, but there's so many options out there I'm a bit overwhelmed. I know many people like the 'tactical' packs with molle loops on the outside. How many of you actually find them useful to attach things to? I think I like the way they look over mainstream backpacks, but I'm completely open to brands like Osprey or Gregory.

How do you carry your Beckers, inside or outside your pack? On your belt?

tl;dr I'm looking for a 24 hour pack!

Thanks!

For myself, I use a large Jansport daypack for my BOB, and I think it would work good for an overnighter in the bush. I have used Jansport packs for years, and have always been impressed with their quality and warranty. I have sent several back through the years, and they have always repaired or replaced, no questions asked. My 2 cents...

slik

The only reason I go with a tactical pack is I have a few extra issue one, my current favorite is the new mollee 3 day assult pack, I have seen them in surplus stores for around 50 bucks. They are affordable, very durable and pretty comfortable. but if i didn't have one I would be looking at a leather and canvas model like some thing from duluth pack (if I had a couple of hundred bucks to burn that is)

For Day Hikes, Bike Riding and Day Trips I have been pleased with my Camelbak Hawg and Camelbak Alpine Explorer and Osprey Talon 5.5 (if I want something on the small side)

I like the 5.11 packs.

Rush12_24.jpg

I use the MOLLE attachments on the Rush 24, but haven't added pouches to the Rush 12.

I like my Vulture II a lot. Right now I have my Junglas strapped to it using the MOLLE straps. I'd like to strap one of my BK-10LE to it though.

I am going to be purchasing the modified hellcat medium ALICE for my 3 day hiking trips. Not sure about linking to other websites, so just google hellcat ALICE pack. It might be a little too big for what you want though.

Last edited:
I just went through this exercise and purchased a Camelbak Trizip last month . The adjustable harness and real hip belt make it the best pack I have ever owned. Compared to my Maxped Falcon II it is less organized but much more comfortable. I hardly noticed I am carrying it compared to the Maxped with the same load. Do a search on mystery ranch packs and you will realize they are designed for real backpacking and not just a book bag. Mystery Ranch allowed Camelbak to use their harness system in the Trizip and that is the difference IMO. From my research the Maxped and 511 bags are great for orginization and toughness, but poorly designed for actual carry. They are very popular with the state and local government guys who generally carry them in a vehicle and don't have to carry them more than a few hundred yards. My Falcon II worked well for small loads for distances under 3/4 of a mile, but became uncomfortable after 1 mile. IMO the Trizip is the best compromise between the tactical and backpacking packs available.

Osprey does make really nice packs if you don't want anything tactical. I just purchased a couple of Osprey Kestrel 38 packs for my wife and I. Very nice. The nice thing about Osprey is you can just find the model you like and then pick the size (capacity) you want.

For a tactical-ish pack, I think all my survival instructors were issued Mystery Ranch packs. The 3 Day Assualt pack, I think. They seemed pretty nice and well made, but I never wore it.

I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. Its 62 liters and less than 3.5 lbs. All cordura construction with a very clever and comfortable polymer frames. I sold both my Ospreys after using it just a few times. It sees about 15-20 trips a year and has zero wear after maybe 50 outings. Free floating lid doubles as fanny pack.

I just went through this exercise and purchased a Camelbak Trizip last month . The adjustable harness and real hip belt make it the best pack I have ever owned. Compared to my Maxped Falcon II it is less organized but much more comfortable. I hardly noticed I am carrying it compared to the Maxped with the same load. Do a search on mystery ranch packs and you will realize they are designed for real backpacking and not just a book bag. Mystery Ranch allowed Camelbak to use their harness system in the Trizip and that is the difference IMO. From my research the Maxped and 511 bags are great for orginization and toughness, but poorly designed for actual carry. They are very popular with the state and local government guys who generally carry them in a vehicle and don't have to carry them more than a few hundred yards. My Falcon II worked well for small loads for distances under 3/4 of a mile, but became uncomfortable after 1 mile. IMO the Trizip is the best compromise between the tactical and backpacking packs available.

Agreed, I love mine.

I usually carry a smaller knife on my belt, but anything bigger (over 5") is usually gonna ride in the pack. The TriZip has webbing on the outside but I honestly haven't really used it much. If they were the same price, I might prefer the Mystery Ranch pack with its minimal webbing.

for a good day hike bag i suggest the 5.11 rush 12. For overnighters or extended trips I recommend the 5.11 rush 72. I myself only have a 72 but I find its too darn big lol. When I have time ill use it for extended hikes.

I agree with RWT. The Camelbak Trizip with the Mystery Ranch futura harness is the best choice in it's size in a very competitive market. You will not be disappointed.

Yeah, I give two thumbs up for the 5.11 Rush 24 pack. It's big enough to pack some serious gear, but not too big to be a perfectly good EDC pack as well. And the MOLLE attachments are a very nice feature.
DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0257.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the 5.11 packs, but have had a lot of good luck with the Kelty Redwing for a daypack on hikes or otherwise. It blends in no matter where I go.

yeah i will second the kelty redwing 50. most bang for your buck, very durable, size adjustable, under $100 (if you look). I use mine for everything. i have had it full of elk meat (~90lbs for 2 miles) and it held up flawlessly. Zippers are tough, stiching is tough, lots of room.

I really like my Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon ll.
I wouldn't use it for anything more than an overnighter though.
The size is just big enough to fit what I need without over-packing.
I do however wish it had more molle straps. I find them very useful. Just have to get you some good lashing ties or molle clips.
It's got dual water bottle pouches that will fit the 32 oz. Nalgenes. Or a shiney Beckerhead botte for that matter.
My Beckers go inside and outside of the pack.
My BK-4 "Muskox" fits very securely on the back.
DSC02176.jpg

I'll second Jonny on the Maxped Pygmy Falcon II. I have one and I used it for all of my day hiking in Yosemite and I am going to use it on a day hike on Monday near Mount Baldy (Bridge to Nowhere).

IMG_4898.jpg

Last edited:
Back