Backpacking knife

If you are going to "start backpacking" then a new knife is the very least of your worries. Unless you get overly involved in woodcraft/firecraft (which is not too leave-no-trace compliant, btw) you will be using your knife for very little. Any of yours will do. Or if you are set on buying another knife, by one of the bigger locking blade Victorinox SAKs with a saw (One Hand Trekker, for example).

What kind of backpacking are you going to do? Above/below the tree line? What other gear are you going to carry along? Do you already own a decent pack (sized according to the length of your outhings, day hikes, overnights, several-days...)? What about footwear? As I said... new knife should be at the very bottom of that list.

Mikel
I always use one or 2 of my knives alot, when hiking, backpacking, whatever they call it now. I make random pit stops, and I go out usually for about 10 hours, when I do go trekking around. The last thing that I am actually looking for is a pack that is very durable, but with also a good size amount of room in it. Weight doesn't really bother me, as I only do the day thing and it's been awhile for an overnighter, but if I do stay out for the night, it's only one night, and back home the next morning

Again it depens on the kind of backpacking that you are going to do... I am guilty myself of also carrying a multitool when I haul a multifuel stove or randonee skis (which means winter outings, just in case something needs disassembly or tigthtening). But I got a Squirt PS4 for this as it is the ligthtest plier based multitool. Mechanical issues aside. I think that a SAK, in the woods, does not need much than a blade, saw, can opener and MAYBE... tiny scisors and awl/punch. I feel most of the SAKs are overkill (tool wise) for backpacking. If you want to go ligther/smaller, I would choose a Farmer.

Mikel

For sure, it depends on the type of backpacking you're doing and the gear you're taking. Winter brings a whole different set of challenges and I have begun building up a kit for bikepacking and pliers was something no bike multi tool has (that I've seen), but I also wanted it for cooking or handling little things. I use pliers often when sewing occasionally too and there's a few potential repairs that could be assisted with the needle and pliers. Some of it is piece of mind.

It was really hard to find the toolset I wanted when I was looking last year. I really wanted the pliers and a saw and that really limited the options. I mostly wanted pliers for handling little things or hot things as I can be fat fingered. I really wish there was a custom tool option to pick and choose as I rarely need the can opener or a 2nd blade but they're on so many models. I think the Hercules was pretty close but they were not in stock anywhere, the price was much steeper the the S52 and it was pricey. I love the tool selector search feature on victorinox's website, that helped a lot.

In reality, I feel like I have 4 or 5 (probably more) backpacking/camping/bikepacking loadouts made up with different stoves, tools, and comfort items depending on what I'm doing. If I'm with the family, I'm the mule so I over-pack like crazy and luckily we don't hike too far. Luckily, I don't have to pack any toys because every stick, stone, and insect is a new toy. We don't travel fast.

I always use one or 2 of my knives alot, when hiking, backpacking, whatever they call it now. I make random pit stops, and I go out usually for about 10 hours, when I do go trekking around. The last thing that I am actually looking for is a pack that is very durable, but with also a good size amount of room in it. Weight doesn't really bother me, as I only do the day thing and it's been awhile for an overnighter, but if I do stay out for the night, it's only one night, and back home the next morning

There's a lot of options for bags, one that a gentleman on BCUSA turned me onto was the karrimor sabre 35. It seems durable, reasonably priced, and smartly lain out. The weight is actually pretty respectable too. I received mine a week or two ago and I'm in the process of seeing what I can slip in there for an over-nighter. It's a little big for a daypack but not over-weight. I like it more than my kelty redwing 50. Picked up both used so that's always a big bonus.

That's a topic for another thread.

I bring a Farmer backpacking (suspension clip, rfp), it‘s all I really need, but always pair with a fixed. Often CRK Pro Soldier (can carry any number of ways). Day hikes, I bring whatever I want. Swear by Osprey backpacks, to me cost justified.

There's a lot of options for bags, one that a gentleman on BCUSA turned me onto was the karrimor sabre 35. It seems durable, reasonably priced, and smartly lain out. The weight is actually pretty respectable too. I received mine a week or two ago and I'm in the process of seeing what I can slip in there for an over-nighter. It's a little big for a daypack but not over-weight. I like it more than my kelty redwing 50. Picked up both used so that's always a big bonus.

That's pretty much the last thing I'd like to grab now. A decent pack, that will last me for years. I'm lost on all of these brands. Most of everything I see on Google, is those made up lists with Amazon links, and I don't trust those at all😂

I bring a Farmer backpacking (suspension clip, rfp), it‘s all I really need, but always pair with a fixed. Often CRK Pro Soldier (can carry any number of ways). Day hikes, I bring whatever I want. Swear by Osprey backpacks, to me cost justified.
I was looking at the crk fixed blades last night. I like those alot. Seems you have to be right on the ball with them, as soon as they make a new batch, huh?

I am not sure what’s going on with them right now, W Wannabe Rambo Guy . However I was looking at umnumzaans and did notice mostly unavailable. Pro Soldier may be a discontinued model, think so but not certain. The CRK SubForum or someone else reading this will know better. Also CRK fixed blades are occasionally available in the Exchange/CRK for sale.

That's pretty much the last thing I'd like to grab now. A decent pack, that will last me for years. I'm lost on all of these brands. Most of everything I see on Google, is those made up lists with Amazon links, and I don't trust those at all😂
Recommend checking out the reviews/ rankings on outdoorgearlab.com e.g.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-daypack or
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-backpacks-backpacking or
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-ultralight-backpack
if you start to get a hole in your pack, try https://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape

Last edited:
Again it depens on what you plan on doing and where, but whatever you do... TRY TO STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM MILITARY ORIENTED GEAR, EXTERNAL FRAMES AND UBER RUGGED MATERIALS... Sure those packs will probably windstand a nuclear blast... but they will not make you happy.

Try to choose from the mountaneering / alpinism range of packs. Beware of trekking/backpacking packs... they are usually waaaaaay to padded with complex suspension systems that add a lot of weight. Don't go all they way to the ultralight packs... as they are the ultimate compromise and if you pack it wrong, you will pucture them. I am talking about a pot inside the pack in direct contact with the fabric... and putting down your pack on hard ground... they do get holes that way.

The only exception would be if you want to play much with open fires... Synthetic fabrics don't like sparks... and you can burn holes easily. Same goes for clothing. If you want to go woodsbumming as some say here... or woodcrafting/firecrafting much... get some surplus clothing and a canvas Alice pack.

Mikel

Volume is probably a big question for you. If you want to be able to go full overnight with a 2 person tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, clothing, etc. You probably want to look for about 55 liters volume at minimum. As you may have noticed, most packs nowadays list their volume in liters as a number at the end of their name e.g. REI Flash 55 (a good pack I happen to like) https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/backpacks-backpacking/rei-co-op-flash-55 . If you're pretty sure you will not be carrying a sleeping bag, you can go smaller and can go for features like more rugged fabrics and a back that zips completely open e.g. Mammut Neon Gear 45, a great daypack imo.

Last edited:
Again it depens on what you plan on doing and where, but whatever you do... TRY TO STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM MILITARY ORIENTED GEAR, EXTERNAL FRAMES AND UBER RUGGED MATERIALS... Sure those packs will probably windstand a nuclear blast... but they will not make you happy.

Try to choose from the mountaneering / alpinism range of packs. Beware of trekking/backpacking packs... they are usually waaaaaay to padded with complex suspension systems that add a lot of weight. Don't go all they way to the ultralight packs... as they are the ultimate compromise and if you pack it wrong, you will pucture them. I am talking about a pot inside the pack in direct contact with the fabric... and putting down your pack on hard ground... they do get holes that way.

The only exception would be if you want to play much with open fires... Synthetic fabrics don't like sparks... and you can burn holes easily. Same goes for clothing. If you want to go woodsbumming as some say here... or woodcrafting/firecrafting much... get some surplus clothing and a canvas Alice pack.

Mikel
Thanks, Mikel. That helped out alot👊

Oh man, just noticing this gear hunt. I'm salivating by proxy.
Too late to the party now, I'm sure, but for back packing I'd take an izula (I or II) with the TKC handle scales and a farmer Alox SAK. that'd be more than enough blade for a couple days in the woods, particularly if it's fair weather.

Volume is probably a big question for you. If you want to be able to go full overnight with a 2 person tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, clothing, etc. You probably want to look for about 55 liters volume at minimum. As you may have noticed, most packs nowadays list their volume in liters as a number at the end of their name e.g. REI Flash 55 (a good pack I happen to like) https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/backpacks-backpacking/rei-co-op-flash-55 . If you're pretty sure you will not be carrying a sleeping bag, you can go smaller and can go for features like more rugged fabrics and a back that zips completely open e.g. Mammut Neon Gear 45, a great daypack imo.

I'm not saying you're wrong, 55 just seems like a big pack to claim as a minimum. Maybe it's just because with down sleeping stuff, small hammock gear, and/or an inflatable pad everything packs smaller in my personal setup now. I know my 2-person tent and a synthetic bag are significantly larger than the previously mentioned items and it was pricey to get the smaller gear for sure (getting used has been very helpful but time-consuming, probably 6 months to amass the basic down-filled stuff).

As everyone has pointed out numerous times, it all depends what you want to do and what you want to bring. I'm trying to fit all of the items mentioned into a 35L pack but I haven't fully sat down to see what will fit so I may have a wrong assumption. I know I can pull it off with my hammock gear, at least for summer, and maybe that's where my thinking has the disconnect on the appropriate size. The shoulder seasons and certainly winter requires bulkier gear.

I'm not saying you're wrong, 55 just seems like a big pack to claim as a minimum. Maybe it's just because with down sleeping stuff, small hammock gear, and/or an inflatable pad everything packs smaller in my personal setup now. I know my 2-person tent and a synthetic bag are significantly larger than the previously mentioned items and it was pricey to get the smaller gear for sure (getting used has been very helpful but time-consuming, probably 6 months to amass the basic down-filled stuff).

As everyone has pointed out numerous times, it all depends what you want to do and what you want to bring. I'm trying to fit all of the items mentioned into a 35L pack but I haven't fully sat down to see what will fit so I may have a wrong assumption. I know I can pull it off with my hammock gear, at least for summer, and maybe that's where my thinking has the disconnect on the appropriate size. The shoulder seasons and certainly winter requires bulkier gear.
Agreed, with a hammock instead of a tent you might not need 55 liters. Depends also how much extra clothing, food etc you bring.

If you plan to do any wood fires, I’d highly recommend getting the Silky brand F-180 saw, and just use whatever small pocket knife you normally use (or just your sturdiest folder) for the small, pocket knife tasks that come up. You’re nicely set for hard use fixed blades and your folder doesn’t need to be specialized imo. I used to bring a locking SAK with me but I found I never used most of the tools so I ditched it for that role...
Great advice! I'd much rather have that Silky and a properly sharpened Opinel for backpacking than about anything else. Let's face facts - when backpacking, you're more likely to use your knife for opening up a bag of Mountain House than just about anything else......

If you want to have a contingency plan for an unexpected emergency (NEVER a bad idea) add a lightweight Mora 510 (or, to save weight replace the Opinel with it). A Mora, along with that Silky and the proper skills would allow you to do just about anything that a big heavy chopper can do, plus save you a ton of weight, calories (always an important consideration in an emergency) and $ along the way.

For sure, it depends on the type of backpacking you're doing and the gear you're taking. Winter brings a whole different set of challenges and I have begun building up a kit for bikepacking and pliers was something no bike multi tool has (that I've seen), but I also wanted it for cooking or handling little things. I use pliers often when sewing occasionally too and there's a few potential repairs that could be assisted with the needle and pliers. Some of it is piece of mind.

It was really hard to find the toolset I wanted when I was looking last year. I really wanted the pliers and a saw and that really limited the options. I mostly wanted pliers for handling little things or hot things as I can be fat fingered. I really wish there was a custom tool option to pick and choose as I rarely need the can opener or a 2nd blade but they're on so many models. I think the Hercules was pretty close but they were not in stock anywhere, the price was much steeper the the S52 and it was pricey. I love the tool selector search feature on victorinox's website, that helped a lot.

In reality, I feel like I have 4 or 5 (probably more) backpacking/camping/bikepacking loadouts made up with different stoves, tools, and comfort items depending on what I'm doing. If I'm with the family, I'm the mule so I over-pack like crazy and luckily we don't hike too far. Luckily, I don't have to pack any toys because every stick, stone, and insect is a new toy. We don't travel fast.
I like this combo for light travel. The pliers will do garden hoses and champagne corks. They can also pull teeth and remove slivers.
image.jpeg

Back