Backyard SURVIVE!n'

Standard78

Gold Member
I know there are a few of us that live in highly populated area and can get out to play around often so I wanted to see what you all do when all you have to work with is a backyard.
I'm stuck in Riverside CA and I work 60+ hours a week on average so it's a pain to get away. Every week I try to get out and process a little bit of wood and get a small fire going with what I have around me.
Here's the 10 at work on some Eldermann Oak. I have filled a couple crates with small tinder.
da92c1cc9aa66754c5ea872978d822a4.jpg

ef6ca4a99272261c7ab49c6d0a26e9ae.jpg

I have two Queen Palms that have this fuzz hair growing off of it and it lights up pretty easily with a good firesteel. I did this one today but had to stomp it out because it was windy and we're in a drought so everything is dry.
24f33a594fb2d5fe00a273958c0558e0.jpg

Here's my old 3.5 right after I got it.
c7b6bc5ff0ef6351f158d3afad9b1aa3.jpg

5634ca76b60882fd428da74a271d875e.jpg

This is the fire kit I carry in my pack. That's some real Alabama fatwood and it goes up quick! Honestly the best I've ever used!
830e90b245744f32c29da291a58a4121.jpg

4e33cbad7c71eb229d3186c61b55a60f.jpg

Any stories, tricks or photos would be greatly appreciated!!

Nice! This is my life! I'm super lame and domestic so I have to really find ways to use my knives like they deserve. (Please don't make me leave the forum!) I was going to add these pics to my existing 3.5 thread, but I think here would be better.

Had a little time on a beautiful day and decided I wanted to see how bad I could pound on my GSO 3.5

I was really hitting that little point of exposed 3v as hard as I could with the baton.

Saber grind doing work. See the wood splitting down?

From above. I forgot to take pics of the cross batoning I did to get this piece of wood to a manageable size, but you can see the evidence in this view of the top of the wood

Knots. Plural. I had to give up at this point because the blade just couldn't span the wood at this depth and I had no blade to hit with the baton.

My little baby did get me far enough down that I could pull the 2 halves apart with my hands

I wanted to see how much big work I could do with a 3.5 inch blade and a baton. Now I know.

Last edited:
Any use is good use in my opinion! That's a good chuck of wood that it's going through!

Which FireSteeel are you using? I am looking for one for my new custom sheath but can't decide on what I should get or how much I should spend.

This is a Twisted Limb firesteel that I picked up off of another forum. I think The Knife Connection has them for around $35-40. I'm pretty sure it's a mischmetal firesteel because it throws big gobs of spark and they stay lit for a few seconds.

The mischmetal steels are great IMO. Going Gear makes some good ones. I like the Exotacs too, and the GobSpark Armageddons are great. The last might be a little big for sheath carry though.

Standard, is that an oversize Altoids tin, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? The Stormproof matches look so small in it! Nice kit BTW, lots of options there :thumbup:

I was wondering when someone would notice! I found this in an antique store and had to have it since it was only $5 or so.
e745f988576230df7ef2dbe077aea792.jpg

This is a Twisted Limb firesteel that I picked up off of another forum. I think The Knife Connection has them for around $35-40. I'm pretty sure it's a mischmetal firesteel because it throws big gobs of spark and they stay lit for a few seconds.

Thanks! I've been looking for a quality piece

A few weeks ago I was tasked with cleaning up our basement. I spent an entire morning cleaning and cutting down boxes. My Stanley knife may have been better suited but I left that dude in the tool box so I could punish the edge of my 3.5. I'm pretty stupid so I don't totally understand how cardboard is tougher on a blade than wood, but by the end of the morning she was definitely not shaving sharp. Totally understandable, right?

Just getting warmed up

50 passes on each side of my field sharpener and we're back to shaving hair off my arm

A few weeks ago I was tasked with cleaning up our basement. I spent an entire morning cleaning and cutting down boxes. My Stanley knife may have been better suited but I left that dude in the tool box so I could punish the edge of my 3.5. I'm pretty stupid so I don't totally understand how cardboard is tougher on a blade than wood, but by the end of the morning she was definitely not shaving sharp. Totally understandable, right?

Just getting warmed up

50 passes on each side of my field sharpener and we're back to shaving hair off my arm

It's crazy how hard cardboard is on blades. I learned my lesson when I did the same thing with an Izula. It took the edge right off of it.

Yea I used my AUS8 Zancudo to break down a bunch of boxes. By the end of about ten boxes I was just tearing it with the force. Really didn't have an edge left.

Standard, do you feel like the 10 can do all your firewood prep without needing anything else?

I ordered my 10 with this purpose in mind. Some chopping, lots of batoning.

Standard, do you feel like the 10 can do all your firewood prep without needing anything else?

I ordered my 10 with this purpose in mind. Some chopping, lots of batoning.

Oh yeah! It's really nimble for its size. I wouldn't go carving a spoon with it but it can handle chopping, batoning, small splitting and feather sticking. I might even send it in to have a firesteel notch added so I can have that option also. I'm pretty sure you'll be blown away when you get yours and use it.

Oh yeah! It's really nimble for its size. I wouldn't go carving a spoon with it but it can handle chopping, batoning, small splitting and feather sticking. I might even send it in to have a firesteel notch added so I can have that option also. I'm pretty sure you'll be blown away when you get yours and use it.

Really glad to hear that, I was hoping you'd answer about that way :)

I think "blown away" is Guy's "bare minimum"!

Haha no doubt about that! Just wait till you get your 5! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back