Backyard SURVIVE!n'

Haha that's awesome Tex! It took a minute to find him in the digging photo!

He's been in and out of ours on the porch since he was two. It's a basic canvas cheapo. So I got a couple eno's for momma and I to take camping. We just got her a nice pack, osprey sirrus and hopefully if all goes right I'll be snagging an atmos 50 ag for me this weekend.

I figure Texas is too damn hot to be sleeping on the ground, and we had crap gear for hiking. At least that's how I justified it.

That was actually a wash that runs off of one of our hills, he was playing in. That's why it was so deep. Plus the dog dug some with him.

Well a bit of an update, I got the Osprey Atmos AG 50. I also picked up a chinook 9'6"x12 tarp. For about $30 I'm very happy with it. Here's a few shots from our camp Friday night.

Little man helping secure the tarp.

By the end of the night I set it up more bunk bed style for fear of him falling. I also needed some of his bug net cause the skeeters were terrible.

We got the tarp in the mail the day before we left, and thank God we did cause we sure enough got a thunderstorm. My buddy had to change from his ground bivy set up (background first photo) to his trust Coleman Maxx. Glad we was just car camping.

Love being in the backyard with my 4 1/2 yr old daughter. We back yard camped three weeks ago and I told her stories about camping with my dad, and she has asked me to tell her those stories again and again. There is something about being outside with them that makes the memories stuck in there.

Awesome pics! I have great memories of backyard camping as a kid.
Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

We usually do backyard camp, this was at a state Park a few hours away. I just didn't want to start a new thread and wasn't sure where else to put it.

Great pics! Lucky boy :D

I think there is an "outdoor survivin'" thread tucked away somewhere for sharing scenery and adventures out and about. Not a big deal to go digging for it now, but I think it's out there when the next opportunity arises.

Well a bit of an update, I got the Osprey Atmos AG 50. I also picked up a chinook 9'6"x12 tarp. For about $30 I'm very happy with it. Here's a few shots from our camp Friday night.

Little man helping secure the tarp.

By the end of the night I set it up more bunk bed style for fear of him falling. I also needed some of his bug net cause the skeeters were terrible.

We got the tarp in the mail the day before we left, and thank God we did cause we sure enough got a thunderstorm. My buddy had to change from his ground bivy set up (background first photo) to his trust Coleman Maxx. Glad we was just car camping.

It looks like you're getting your setup dialed in nicely bud!
I'm kinda jealous of your kid now! Lucky little dude gets to have all of the fun!

That is what it's all about right there men!

Has this ever happened to you?!?

I was in my backyard today taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and cleaning up some sizeable tree limbs that I had piled up over the winter. I was using my bk9 and laplander to make the big branches into little ones.

I suddenly realize I had my 2.7 in my pocket and before I know what's happening I made a small pile of fine curls and shavings. I accidently strike my firesteel and the next thing I know I have a tiny little fire. All this happened while I was meaning to finish my yard chores. It was such a weird afternoon.

Haha nice! Are you liking the 2.7 so far SN? I can't remember if you've got a 3.5 to compare it to. What firesteel did you use?

Nice, some odd urge came over you and you just had to bushcraft in your backyard. :thumbup:

Haha nice! Are you liking the 2.7 so far SN? I can't remember if you've got a 3.5 to compare it to. What firesteel did you use?

It's a GSO, so of course I'm really liking it :D
I said before I had my doubts about the handle, but it feels good no matter what I'm doing. In the other thread I said I never bought anything in an altered state of mind, but this little guy was more of an impulse buy than any of my other GSOs. I'm not sure how it will get used as much as my 4.7 or 4.1, but I really like it for what it is.

My 3.5 was my very first SURVIVE! knife! That is really the only thing that makes me love it. I accept I'm way in the minority for not liking it more, but the 3.5 seems to me to be caught in an awkward spot between the 4.1 and 2.7 or necker II. I can't think of a single thing I'd choose the 3.5 for over the 4.1, but the 2.7 or necker II has the advantage of REALLY being small. I used to have a pair of izulas and I liked them for the same reason as the 2.7. They're just a tiny, handy knife.

Maybe the biggest reason I pulled the trigger on the 2.7 is Ethan Becker's idea behind a 3 knife system. I read his writings on having a big chopper, a 4ish inch blade and a necker that can just disappear on your person and go anywhere with you. I got 2/3 of the way there with my Becker brand trio before getting hopelessly addicted to super steels.

The firesteel was a Exotac polystriker XL.

It's a GSO, so of course I'm really liking it :D
I said before I had my doubts about the handle, but it feels good no matter what I'm doing. In the other thread I said I never bought anything in an altered state of mind, but this little guy was more of an impulse buy than any of my other GSOs. I'm not sure how it will get used as much as my 4.7 or 4.1, but I really like it for what it is.

My 3.5 was my very first SURVIVE! knife! That is really the only thing that makes me love it. I accept I'm way in the minority for not liking it more, but the 3.5 seems to me to be caught in an awkward spot between the 4.1 and 2.7 or necker II. I can't think of a single thing I'd choose the 3.5 for over the 4.1, but the 2.7 or necker II has the advantage of REALLY being small. I used to have a pair of izulas and I liked them for the same reason as the 2.7. They're just a tiny, handy knife.

Maybe the biggest reason I pulled the trigger on the 2.7 is Ethan Becker's idea behind a 3 knife system. I read his writings on having a big chopper, a 4ish inch blade and a necker that can just disappear on your person and go anywhere with you. I got 2/3 of the way there with my Becker brand trio before getting hopelessly addicted to super steels.

The firesteel was a Exotac polystriker XL.

Thank you for that response. I definitely think the 2.7 earns its place in the line. I haven't feathersticked with mine yet, but I would imagine the chubby handle works well for that task. And while I really love my 3.5, I can see where it might land in an awkward size bracket for some folks. The 4.1 never really turned me on.......until I bought one. I immediately realized I had misjudged it and traded for another. Those are now two of my favorite users. I'm glad you're liking your 2.7 enough to let it sidetrack you a bit :)

Here's "Kimber's" chopping block. It's a big ol' piece of Ash.
f5dab4adf283a1946bb252f7ca9fe056.jpg

STD - That might be a good avatar!

Have you or someone you love been affected by spontaneous bushcraft? You're not alone, and help is available.

That happens to me all the time. That little knife is really versatile. I became a big fan of small knives when I got my N2. I have an order for a 2.7 and I am really looking forward to getting it. As much as I like my 3.5 I think I'll use the 2.7 more.

I've finally got to do a little backyard survivin' recently. Several months ago chiral.grolim lent me his Cruforge V 4.7 to compare with my 3V model. He has been patient beyond measure with me getting it back to him, for which I am very grateful.

My main question was regarding the coating on the CFV vs the bare 3V blade. On my swamprats the coating is rough, and I strip many of them to get less drag when batoning and chopping. I wondered if the coating on the Cruforge blade would prove to be the same way.

I had some wood from an apricot tree cut in case I needed a little backup heat this winter from the wood stove. I haven't burned or batoned apricot before.

RKowtLT.jpg

Not wanting to use a borrowed knife for the initial splits, I used my 3V model to baton the wide splits, and proceeded to wail on the tip.

glKssHC.jpg

JNBb6QE.jpg

This thing is friggin' tough, no doubt about it.

KlGNjGB.jpg

Chiral's blade batted clean up, making short work of the halves.

pMhxAf8.jpg

QhynCI4.jpg

I tried to produce enough fine curls to accept a spark. I failed. I had to add a small piece of jelly cottonball out of the exotac firerod to take a spark :eek:

Kn9NxcA.jpg

After the addition of the piece of cottonball, success.......

NdchPTS.jpg

Once the flames started consuming some larger pieces, I noticed quite a bit of moisture escaping the end grain. The wood was not fully seasoned it seems, and I'm hoping the reason I couldn't get a spark to catch. That, and my lack of backyard material for fine tinder for a tinder bundle.

wHqfEJQ.jpg

Conclusion......

Man Guy has a winner here I think, with either model. I couldn't detect any difference in drag between the coated and uncoated blades. And, knowing what chiral's already put this thing through, I see no need to worry about the coating on the cruforge models. If a person is interested, just get whichever model attracts you most. I did strike the ferro rod with the spine of my 3V model in order to start the fire. It threw pretty good sparks, enough to get the fire lit. If I wanted to use the spine as a primary striker, I'd square it off more for that use. I tried a couple swipes with the spine of the CFV. It surprised me by throwing sparks although less fierce sparks than the 3V did. Thanks again to chiral.grolim for the use of his CFV model for this comparison.

sgZwQa0.jpg

Last edited:
Back