For bacon lovers, and cooking meat ideas

Favorite meat to do over flame

• Total voters
That really does look delicious. Oh man....

It's funny you should mention it, I think a racing light chopper would have done a pretty good job on that. Sort of a good application for it.

it's bacon sized!

Here is the Memorial Day bacon cutting update. Home raised hogs, and home cured, and dry rubbed and seasoned pork bellies. The testing of various meat knives is the best part. Here is my design of a flexible Fillet and Boning knive.

I think we need a CPK meat knife.... Anyone?

20190527_171421_resized.jpg 20190527_171439_resized.jpg

That it good looking bacon. The stuff sold in markets is 50% fat if you're lucky. I have seen some that is close to 98% fat with just a thin streak of red. I wonder why they even bother to package it?

I 2nd the CPK paring knife. :thumbsup: There is a Canadian company that makes a paring knife in S35VN.

That it good looking bacon. The stuff sold in markets is 50% fat if you're lucky. I have seen some that is close to 98% fat with just a thin streak of red. I wonder why they even bother to package it?

We have found that the feeding rate over the first couple months really affects the % of fat in the bellies, and some cuts. These were in the same litter that another person raised and butchered 6. Our group was about 225 lbs live weight, and theirs was averaging 315 at almost the same age. But theirs had a significantly higher % of fat in the bellies and in the trimmings.

We have found that the feeding rate over the first couple months really affects the % of fat in the bellies, and some cuts. These were in the same litter that another person raised and butchered 6. Our group was about 225 lbs live weight, and theirs was averaging 315 at almost the same age. But theirs had a significantly higher % of fat in the bellies and in the trimmings.
Your lean pigs look delicious!

That triggered a memory. One of BILs was a meat cutter. (long time retired) I asked him why bacon had so much fat? He said pretty much the same thing. Commercially grown pigs are are bigger. The bigger the hog, the more fat.

At the risk of digging up an old thread.... But knowing that good meat is essential to survival... And wanting to hone my caveman cooking skills.... I added another dream come true to the bucket list... Smoking a whole hog....

The BBQ smoker trailer was loaned by a friend of mine. He is the one dumping the rub on the hog. He had just received the trailer, and I was the first to use it. He is very generous. I was doing it for a father / son campout at our camp. We fed about 45 and had leftovers. We ate like cavemen, and had shrimp, and beans and poppers and mozzarella sticks all done over the fire.

We call ourselves carnivores. My sister called us that one time... Because we enjoy various types of meat in our diet quite frequently. And my doctor says my cholesterol is quite low, and my heart is in very good shape... thank you!

Hog 122# live weight
Scalded and scraped it the evening before.
Put in cooler overnight.

8 AM dried and rubbed. Inside and out.
Rubbed baking powder paste into the skin.
8:30 Poured a BBQ rub all over
YmeEkuX.jpg

Verify heat is at 225. Add wood and charcoal to firebox.
9:00 AM lifted into the smoker....
K1zzvOW.jpg

Add soaked pecan chips and wet white oak to firebox for smoke.

At 11:00 started lifting the lid every 30 minutes and spraying CHERRY Doctor Pepper all over the hog for a beautiful reddish sugar crust.

11:30 had worked up an appetite so put some T bones in the back smoker rack
11:50 eat T bones and share with Austin... even though he had not helped!

63vUSq1.jpg

x71kAwf.jpg

At around 4:30 it looked like this!

NQfgaME.jpg

We started eating at around 6:30. I could share the pic, but we had moved in with knives and it was being enjoyed!

At the risk of digging up an old thread.... But knowing that good meat is essential to survival... And wanting to hone my caveman cooking skills.... I added another dream come true to the bucket list... Smoking a whole hog....

The BBQ smoker trailer was loaned by a friend of mine. He is the one dumping the rub on the hog. He had just received the trailer, and I was the first to use it. He is very generous. I was doing it for a father / son campout at our camp. We fed about 45 and had leftovers. We ate like cavemen, and had shrimp, and beans and poppers and mozzarella sticks all done over the fire.

We call ourselves carnivores. My sister called us that one time... Because we enjoy various types of meat in our diet quite frequently. And my doctor says my cholesterol is quite low, and my heart is in very good shape... thank you!

Hog 122# live weight
Scalded and scraped it the evening before.
Put in cooler overnight.

8 AM dried and rubbed. Inside and out.
Rubbed baking powder paste into the skin.
8:30 Poured a BBQ rub all over
YmeEkuX.jpg

Verify heat is at 225. Add wood and charcoal to firebox.
9:00 AM lifted into the smoker....
K1zzvOW.jpg

Add soaked pecan chips and wet white oak to firebox for smoke.

At 11:00 started lifting the lid every 30 minutes and spraying CHERRY Doctor Pepper all over the hog for a beautiful reddish sugar crust.

11:30 had worked up an appetite so put some T bones in the back smoker rack
11:50 eat T bones and share with Austin... even though he had not helped!

63vUSq1.jpg

x71kAwf.jpg

At around 4:30 it looked like this!

NQfgaME.jpg

We started eating at around 6:30. I could share the pic, but we had moved in with knives and it was being enjoyed!

I don't care what anybody thinks, that's how you eat right there!

Back