• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Form?

I put up 3 knives Friday for sale in the individual folding knife section. All 3 got an “I’ll take it”. All good. One of the knives was Kizer Guru listed at $100, which I had pics of and said it had snail trails and scratches on clip. The buyer asked if I’d do $85 F&F PayPal. I replied sure on the price and asked if he was comfortable with F&F. He said yes. Then said he wanted to see more pics. I send them and he tells me the knife “looks beat up”. I ask if he’d like to cancel the deal. He replies no and sends money. I tell him I will ship Monday morning and send tracking number. This evening, Saturday, he asks for a tracking number. I remind him about posting Monday, he says thanks. 10 minutes later he asks if he can get a refund because a Guru was just posted for $80. Not happy, I reply: really, you want to welch on a deal? Not cool. He replies: I guess you’re adverse to the idea, let’s do the deal. I refunded his money because of the bad taste in my mouth. I have not done a lot of buying/trading/selling on this forum, but I feel as though this seller showed bad form. If I’m out of line on this, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you, I’m done venting.

Not good, but at least he asked and was willing to proceed. If you look at his join date, he is very new and obviously not up to speed on proper exchange behavior. Hopefully he will catch on soon, but I think you may have had more problems to come if you had tried to complete the deal.

Not good, but at least he asked and was willing to proceed. If you look at his join date, he is very new and obviously not up to speed on proper exchange behavior. Hopefully he will catch on soon, but I think you may have had more problems to come if you had tried to complete the deal.
I agree. That’s why I gave him a refund.

Yes that is bad form on their part. Sounds like a flake and you will probably be better off refunding his money like you did.

Looks like things worked out OK for both parties. Water under the bridge.

Last edited:
Hey yeah sorry I am new. Wasn't sure of the rules. I can totally see why this would make me look bad, and that was why I asked him first. He hadn't sent the knife yet that's partly why I thought it might be okay. I also said that if he felt like I was out of line that I would respect the deal we had already made. This doesn't justify it, but that's my side of the story.

Hey yeah sorry I am new. Wasn't sure of the rules. I can totally see why this would make me look bad, and that was why I asked him first. He hadn't sent the knife yet that's partly why I thought it might be okay. I also said that if he felt like I was out of line that I would respect the deal we had already made. This doesn't justify it, but that's my side of the story.

Thanks for responding, and hopefully this can be calked up as a learning experience. If you haven't yet done so, I suggest you read the exchange rules, may help you avoid some future problems.

Welcome to the forum!

Yup I'd say pretty shitty iv had good luck so don't think it always like that

I feel neutral on this one because at least he asked first. Not ideal and I'm sure it's against the rules since it was agreed deal but at least it all occurred before it was shipped and such so that's good. It would have been better had money not switched hands so that makes it more bad form on the seller's part but I don't think it was so much so that the person should be "black listed" or ignored. I've dealt with shadier people for sure.

I think the key as that the buyer's intents were communicated well, even if the content was a bit displeasing, which I think is a good start here as poor communication, even if the content is good, can be a PITA because we can be left speculating about what is going on until communication is returned.

All's well that ends well. Although the buyer might have made a mistake or two, he's new and I believe his explanation to be genuine. Good on the seller for returning the funds before the problem potentially escalated.

There's a lesson to be learned here, for sure. I'm glad that everything worked out.

I quit reading @

The buyer asked if I’d do $85 F&F PayPal. I replied sure on the price and asked if he was comfortable with F&F.

It's obvious you're both new to the forum & Exchange and asked for our thoughts, so here's some advice as kindly as I can render it.

Only use PayPal Friends & Family option as ordered in the user service agreement...that is, a gift for a present to your BFF or family member for a birthday, holiday, etc. Remember it's a service that has costs and risk and headaches involved for PayPal that they provide, free-of-charge. Don't abuse it.

If you're getting a product or service in-kind for your fund transfer it's wrong to use F&F even if your buyer/seller is your Dad or best friend from kindergarten. So don't attempt justification via that route, either.

PayPal deserves to get PAID!

They incur risk and costs to provide you their service. People just like you work for the Co. to pay for their rents and groceries, so if nothing else, think about those working people at least.

It's misinformed in the least or blatantly dishonest at the worst to use PayPal to help subsidize your deal. :(

In addition PayPal provides protections to their customers-- those can prove invaluable also. They have real value whether you use them or not. Very likely one day you'll need to call on them and you'd better hope they don't get cut in your day of need just because too many d-bags chiseled $3-$8 out of PP and they had to drop that protection because of those cheatin bastids. :eek::confused:

You agreed to abide by their rules if you took time to read their terms of agreement.

Wouldn't you agree if a company provides you a service, they deserve to be paid? Of course you do.:)

If you think it's too high of a fee, don't use PayPal. But don't abuse their system.

Some people's conscience has become clouded and claim that PP's G&S fee is just "too damn high" or that PP is a crooked company <for various & sundry reasons> and doesn't deserve any fees, as such.

Those are just cop-outs and rationalizations for their poor <and unlawful> behavior. It reeks of entitlement and spoilage to me.:mad:

Besides, I know your integrity is worth more to you than ~ .036% of a sale!

Enjoy your time here, lots of good people on BF like you two seem to be!:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

Last edited:
I put up 3 knives Friday for sale in the individual folding knife section. All 3 got an “I’ll take it”. All good. One of the knives was Kizer Guru listed at $100, which I had pics of and said it had snail trails and scratches on clip. The buyer asked if I’d do $85 F&F PayPal. I replied sure on the price and asked if he was comfortable with F&F. He said yes. Then said he wanted to see more pics. I send them and he tells me the knife “looks beat up”. I ask if he’d like to cancel the deal. He replies no and sends money. I tell him I will ship Monday morning and send tracking number. This evening, Saturday, he asks for a tracking number. I remind him about posting Monday, he says thanks. 10 minutes later he asks if he can get a refund because a Guru was just posted for $80. Not happy, I reply: really, you want to welch on a deal? Not cool. He replies: I guess you’re adverse to the idea, let’s do the deal. I refunded his money because of the bad taste in my mouth. I have not done a lot of buying/trading/selling on this forum, but I feel as though this seller showed bad form. If I’m out of line on this, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you, I’m done venting.

Bad form on the forum.

It says alot about the guy that he pulled a stunt like that over 5$ too.

On the other hand he seems receptive to criticism and like he wants to be a standup member.

We all gotta learn some way.

I quit reading @

It's obvious you're both new to the forum & Exchange and asked for our thoughts, so here's some advice as kindly as I can render it.

Only use PayPal Friends & Family option as ordered in the user service agreement...that is, a gift for a present to your BFF or family member for a birthday, holiday, etc. Remember it's a service that has costs and risk and headaches involved for PayPal that they provide, free-of-charge. Don't abuse it.

If you're getting a product or service in-kind for your fund transfer it's wrong to use F&F even if your buyer/seller is your Dad or best friend from kindergarten. So don't attempt justification via that route, either.

PayPal deserves to get PAID!

They incur risk and costs to provide you their service. People just like you work for the Co. to pay for their rents and groceries, so if nothing else, think about those working people at least.

It's misinformed in the least or blatantly dishonest at the worst to use PayPal to help subsidize your deal. :(

In addition PayPal provides protections to their customers-- those can prove invaluable also. They have real value whether you use them or not. Very likely one day you'll need to call on them and you'd better hope they don't get cut in your day of need just because too many d-bags chiseled $3-$8 out of PP and they had to drop that protection because of those cheatin bastids. :eek::confused:

You agreed to abide by their rules if you took time to read their terms of agreement.

Wouldn't you agree if a company provides you a service, they deserve to be paid? Of course you do.:)

If you think it's too high of a fee, don't use PayPal. But don't abuse their system.

Some people's conscience has become clouded and claim that PP's G&S fee is just "too damn high" or that PP is a crooked company <for various & sundry reasons> and doesn't deserve any fees, as such.

Those are just cop-outs and rationalizations for their poor <and unlawful> behavior. It reeks of entitlement and spoilage to me.:mad:

Besides, I know your integrity is worth more to you than ~ .036% of a sale!

Enjoy your time here, lots of good people on BF like you two seem to be!:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

You’re right!

Back