1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by EurAzn12, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I don’t see how packaging, new or recycled, makes much difference. Obviously, you don’t want knife to cut thru packaging, but major retailers (like seller of Northwoods) routinely ship in standard bubble envelope with no problems.

You could ship knife in a Russian doll nest of boxes and it is still easy for a thief to cut tape and take item.

No packaging will stop a determined criminal.

2. JasonPaul

JasonPaul Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I only read the first seven pages before going cross-eyed, so if this is duplication, I apologize.

I have a postmaster in the family and I can tell you the third party possibility is in fact a possibility. Things unfortunately do happen. A friend of my wife's had her engagement ring stolen that was ten times the cost of the Rockstead after it was sent off for resizing and an employee eventually admitted it.

I saw good points made by each party and vouches for each as well. I wonder how thoroughly this third party possibility has been discussed between seller and buyer. The easiest way to work through a situation like this after all is by engaging with the other party in the transaction.

bonky likes this.
  3. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Your opinion is noted. :)

And I'd agree if the blade in question was a non-standard size and there was no other sturdy box that would work, and that was-- this is key-- as easily & readily available as a new Priority Mail mailer.

Still, I'll abide by my initial comment.

Another assessment of mine...anyone who ships an $800+ blade in a used USPS mailer isn't taking due care...those boxes are designed to have a certain level of structural integrity when new and folded correctly BEFORE they're been used x amount of times.

4. Nick H.

Nick H.

Jul 28, 2019
    This thread depresses me - there are so many people throwing serious accusations at long term, respected members. It's ugly and it's simple-minded. I've only joined recently and this thread has taught me that I'm sharing a forum with quite a number of idiots. It's so obvious that it was a theft by a postal worker, using the rocks to cover their tracks and make the theft harder to investigate. The thief no doubt has a stock of rocks handy so he can weigh out the right amount to allay suspicion while the parcel is going from hub to hub.

5. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    @luh1202 never answered my question but I hope he takes it into consideration when discussing the matter with the buyer and/or a mail investigator. As show in that screenshot, there is clearly a sign on the box where the tape was removed. If luh1202 reused the box, then the sign does not bear much meaning. Otherwise, it would be a clear indication of someone else opened the box before the OP video was made.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  6. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    There is nothing obvious here at all, especially that is was theft by a postal worker. You have been a member here since Sunday? Most folks spend a fair amount of time talking knives before they venture over to GB&U.

palonej, CataD, mmmotorcycle and 2 others like this.
  7. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    The irony of a low intelligence, low quality "member" attempting to trash a bunch of other people is rich. I can't wait until you leave again. Criminy.

sechip, palonej, mmmotorcycle and 3 others like this.
  8. bonky

bonky Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I agree with you in that nothing is obvious, but I'd rather believe that an outside party would be the culprit instead of one of the two members involved here.

Of course, what I want to believe has zero value, but I don't see anything presented yet to make me think otherwise.

Call me an idealist, but I prefer to err on the good side when people's reputations are on the line.

r8shell and Nick H. like this.
  9. Nick H.

Nick H.

Jul 28, 2019
    This thread isn't about knives, it's about human behaviour. If you think that knowledge of knives qualifies you to understand people, you really need to have a word with yourself.

10. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    I would like to believe that also, but it would not be the first time that someone’s brother/roommate/son got onto their BF account and pulled something similar. Also, we have even seen a few upstanding members suddenly go off the rails.

Since it very well might have been someone at the post office that stole the knife, a claim should have been made immediately. Has that happened? If I got scammed, would my first action be to report it to the authorities or post a video on BF? Was it reported to law enforcement?

11. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I have no knife or bag of rocks in this fight. I will say that from Doctors to police to politicians and yes, even postal workers have been let go, arrested etc for criminal reasons.... there are always a couple of bad apples in any barrel! I hope this is resolved to the best for the seller & buyer..

91bravo and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  12. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    Read through a few years worth of GB&U, you will have a better understanding of human behavior.

13. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Challenge accepted! You send me some candy or snacketty snacks in a box and I'll tell you if it's been reused before or not.

Nothing banana or booger flavored though.

:p

14. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I am in the postal worker likely did it camp, but it not being obvious is why it works. This item was insured and needed a signature, so taping it and putting the rocks in helped get this item out of postal hands and into the end receiver before it is discovered. If the box was left un-taped or disappeared there would be an insurance claim and possible investigation. It may have been picked up at the PO if no one was there to sign, and if I felt the box was empty(I usually try to determine when picking up) I would open it in front of the clerk-definitely clearing me and likely starting an investigation. By fooling long enough to get it away from postal hands it opens up all to ?. Unless someone feels the agony of guilt and confesses it is likely where this stays, but unless luh has some evidence that it is definitely the OP, I think he should pay on it. Not luh's fault, but his responsibility IMO.
    Respected member going rogue is not impossible, but a low percentage chance IMO

My ?'s to luh are: If already answered I missed
    1.Did you hand deliver this package to the PO or did a carrier pick it up. My postal theory works best with a carrier( or someone else) that has plenty of time with the item.
    2. Has any insurance claim or postal investigation been started. If no one is investigating at all I doubt any progress will be made.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  15. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    Maybe we can get a postal worker to confirm if the weight is tracked throughout the trip through the postal system. That would be the smoking gun.

16. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    That would help

17. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    The post man delivering it or any postman who was transporting it would have had plenty of time alone with the package as well.

hexenjager likes this.
  18. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    Correct. I only asked about the one picking up to see if there even was one. If not one less person in the mix.

19. bonky

bonky Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I think that overall we mostly agree.

Regarding your questions, of course I cannot answer with accurate information because I am not directly involved.

Again, I feel speculation at this point serves no productive purpose. We have two vetted BF members involved here, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

20. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    LOL

Well put me on your ignore list because if you ever buy a knife from me I will purposely send it to you in a reused box with toilet paper for padding, because that’s a load of crap.

Jsega51, mmmotorcycle and JJ_Colt45 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.