• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread depresses me - there are so many people throwing serious accusations at long term, respected members. It's ugly and it's simple-minded. I've only joined recently and this thread has taught me that I'm sharing a forum with quite a number of idiots. It's so obvious that it was a theft by a postal worker, using the rocks to cover their tracks and make the theft harder to investigate. The thief no doubt has a stock of rocks handy so he can weigh out the right amount to allay suspicion while the parcel is going from hub to hub.

There is absolutely nothing obvious in this situation ... if there were this thread would not be here ...

We would all like to believe that neither of our fellow members is lying or pulling a prank ...

But there have been so many that make a post then turn around and argue against the post they made earlier ... I hope it gets resolved so both are good ...

But sadly there is not an obvious account for any of it ... nor an obvious solution that is easy.

And welcome to the forums ... reading alot more and knowing the forum and members better before jumping on anyone may be a good idea ...

Most members will go out of their way to be helpful.

The only fault I find is with the seller recycling boxes on high dollar transactions-- it's not criminal, nor should it adversely skew any "judgment" out of his favor-- but it is incredibly lazy and/or moronic to repurpose a box that was "free" to begin with and several billion more "free" MINTY NEW ones easily and readily at your disposal. :thumbsdown:

You may as well put me on your no fly list, because I find it 'moronic' to waste a perfectly good box instead of re-using it. I apply one criteria when I'm deciding whether a box is past it's useful life. I ask myself if I'd want someone else to pack my knife in it, If the answer isn't a clear Yes, the box goes in the trash. I also tape every corner, pulling the tape very snug.

Last edited:
I think that overall we mostly agree.

Regarding your questions, of course I cannot answer with accurate information because I am not directly involved.

Again, I feel speculation at this point serves no productive purpose. We have two vetted BF members involved here, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
They were just rhetorical questions, I wasn’t expecting that you could provide the answers. I think any of the possible explanations offered could be true, including it being a prank. I don’t think we will ever know the answer and I doubt we will get any new information from the buyer or seller.

My buddy just told me about this sweet deal going on.

Genuine Rockstead for $6.99

QUlVbyx.jpg

I reuse boxes on occasion if they are in good shape. Laziness has nothing to do with reuse in my case and really, I'm sure I am not the only one that does it.
The difference is, i'm not changing my packaging habits.. I still tape every edge like I would a new box. Most would be hard pressed to tell it had been reused.
Mostly, the only thing I do is remove anything that might confuse the postman..like an old label or barcode. I also try to tape the goods inside the box to keep them from moving around and to kindof ensure that the box would probably have to be destroyed to get the knife out. If it's a problem in the mail system (USPS or otherwise) that package simply disappears..but at least you know where the fault is.

Nope, you're absolutely not the only one to do it. And you pack like I do, hoping the recipient already has a knife!

ROTFLMMFAO...

it's unfathomable to me that anyone would take issue with:

new Priority Mail mailer > used Priority Mail mailer

The seller could have tamped down some of the suspicion that the package may have been tampered with by a third party if he/she'd used a new mailer.

It's a fact that that has been one point of contention IN THIS THREAD.

If a box arrives at my house already sliced and diced...who done it? The seller, or a dishonest mail handler, or the guy who shipped the box previously to the original seller, or the guy before that because he repurposes free Priority boxes, too.

OTOH, if a box arrives at my house without any previous damage in a new mailer and it has a bundle of rocks in it, I'd say the job of figuring out who's at fault has gotten easier to discern by several degrees.

The thief no doubt has a stock of rocks handy so he can weigh out the right amount to allay suspicion while the parcel is going from hub to hub.

I was thinking the same thing: if it were a crook, they could simply carry pre-weighed baggies (in 1 oz. or even 1/2 oz. increments?) with gravel and small rocks. When the right size package and $$ amount appear and circumstances are right, presto...

I was thinking the same thing: if it were a crook, they could simply carry pre-weighed baggies (in 1 oz. or even 1/2 oz. increments?) with gravel and small rocks. When the right size package and $$ amount appear and circumstances are right, presto...

Or just a scale in the mail van. Rocks are pretty accessible.

if they even bother past a guestimate.

I’m not aware of their internal processes or how often they check the weight. Also how much it matters how accurate the weight is if they do measure it each time.

No one knows what happened but I imagine a crooked postal worker would know how to cover his tracks to some degree.

I’m not aware of their internal processes or how often they check the weight. Also how much it matters how accurate the weight is if they do measure it each time.

No one knows what happened but I imagine a crooked postal worker would know how to cover his tracks to some degree.

As far as I know it is just the once, and I can't see a reason to weigh it more after the weight is in the system-other than theft. It has been brought up before and no one with the knowledge has commented as far as I am aware. Any USPS out there for a comment.
I believe what most are talking about with the weight is to weigh what was received and compare it to the initial mailed weight

Last edited:
I’m curious about the wording “rocks vice rockstead” and what it means

I was puzzled at first but I think it's supposed to read: Rocks Vs. Rockstead and autocorrect did its thing

Maybe meant to say, "Rocks versus Roackstead" but in the heat of the battle misspelled the word and the autocorrect used "vice" instead? This is much more comforting to me as an explanation than the other one, having read through that the OP could be a marine chopper pilot!
....... "vice" also has another meaning other than the one you are all going to. It can also mean as a replacement or substitute for. In some organisations (my own included) it is often used to reflect a person doing a role that is someone else's ie.... "Smith OIC Team 2 vice Jones". English is an intriguing language... :D

EDIT....I see this was unpacked before I posted.... ;) :D apologies for be Captain Obvious....or in this case Captain Andy vice Obvious.

Last edited:
ROTFLMMFAO...

The seller could have tamped down some of the suspicion that the package may have been tampered with by a third party if he/she'd used a new mailer.

If a box arrives at my house already sliced and diced...who done it? The seller, or a dishonest mail handler, or the guy who shipped the box previously to the original seller, or the guy before that because he repurposes free Priority boxes, too.

OTOH, if a box arrives at my house without any previous damage in a new mailer and it has a bundle of rocks in it, I'd say the job of figuring out who's at fault has gotten easier to discern by several degrees.

I don't think anyone would take issue nor disagree with you if you were to say that a new Priority box is greater/better than used. Yet you didn't quite say that.

I believe they took issue because you essentially called those that do repurpose, moronic.

At least a few here, myself included, believe that to be a non-issue so long as the box is still in good condition. YMMV

An experienced postal thief may even have a lunch box with a hidden compartment, containing the pre weighed baggies of rocks, a roll of clear packaging tape, a portable digital scale, and a small (previously stolen) pocket knife to slit the tape. There may even be enough hidden space left over to conceal whatever plunder the days work yielded.

ROTFLMMFAO...

Have you ever heard of recycling? ... or used parts? ...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with reusing a box unless it has been damaged already ...

And if you wrap and pack the knife correctly ... and then tape and double tape every seem ... the knife is just as safe as a new box ...

Now if the box is beat to hell or torn up ... then I could see not reusing it ... but if it's still in good condition (which if they were packed right and full they would be 99% of the time) ... there is no need or reason to waste it ...

I don't think anyone would take issue nor disagree with you if you were to say that a new Priority box is greater/better than used. Yet you didn't quite say that.

I believe they took issue because you essentially called those that do repurpose, moronic.

At least a few here, myself included, believe that to be a non-issue so long as the box is still in good condition. YMMV

Thanks...

but if I'd sold the guy a knife and he posted up a film online showing a box that already had a cut in the end BEFORE he opened it...I'd want to be damned sure IN MY OWN MIND that the only way the slit got there was somehow after it left my custody.

That way I could be way more emphatic in my own defense on that point of contention.

Kinda puts yourself behind the 8-ball when right out the gate you gotta concede that you shipped in a janky mailer.

Even if he knows in his own mind he didn't do any double dealing-- he's come here to plead his case amidst a lot of skeptical bastids...good luck with that!

... there is no need or reason to waste it ...

And I say there's no reason not to ship in a new box.

Have you read this thread?

If you had you might be able to understand why I contend it would have been better to ship in a new mailer especially since they're free and easy to get.

There's posts throughout discussing the cut in the end of the box before the buyer opened it goddamn it.

This thread has no bearing on how I or the other forum members ... (who are all in good standing and well respected) ... ship with a reused box if it's in good condition ...

A few say they see tape was already cut etc ... but others see something different ... you have your opinion ... others have theirs ... where you stepped in it was mocking anyone who didn't agree with you.

You just want to argue because you attacked members that don't share your point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back