• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone somewhere along the line during this transaction is dishonest.

The easiest solution is for the seller to refund the buyer’s money and file an insurance claim with the PO. The video should be sufficient evidence that the item mailed was not the item received. Fortunately the seller insured the knife and can recoup his loss after refunding the buyer, who did not get what he paid for.

If the knife was stolen by a postal worker, I seriously doubt that they would take the time to put rocks in the box, and then add more tape. All of that deliberate action would certainly put the would be postal thief at more risk of getting caught.
If it wasn’t the seller or buyer being dishonest, then it may have been someone either if them knew, who had access to the package, and knowledge of its contents.

If the knife was stolen by a postal worker, I seriously doubt that they would take the time to put rocks in the box, and then add more tape. All of that deliberate action would certainly put the would be postal thief at more risk of getting caught.
***snip***

I agree. In fact, a postal employee could simply put a big tear in the cardboard, remove its contents, and state that that was how the box was found, the tear being caused by some machinery perhaps. Yet, such risky behavior and not knowing the value of what was in the box makes it unlikely, IMHO. I think something else is going on here.

Postal theft is real and could happen to any of us, There is a fair 33% chance that is what happened here.
Am I the only one who is disheartened to see how quick people are called thieves in this thread?
Before All the facts are even in?

Any of us could be the buyer or seller here,
Open for a Dogpile of accusations, before the investigation is started..

If it wasn’t the seller or buyer being dishonest, then it may have been someone either if them knew, who had access to the package, and knowledge of its contents.

I really hate to say this but I always do whenever something magically gets stolen or disappears.

It is almost always an inside job. It is almost certainly someone who you trusted enough for them to know where the valuable was.

I do agree that it seems unlikely a postal worker would bother to reassemble the package but sometimes people do weird things when committing a crime. Their thought process might be that they want nobody to know a crime was committed until a later time and they are far away.

It still seems abit unlikely though. Assuming the seller and the buyer are both honest and acting in good faith it was likely someone one of them knows who was aware of the value of the knife.

Last edited:
it seems unlikely a postal worker would bother to reassemble the package
Maybe there's extra supervision or video surveillance of high value packages? If the package was logged coming in, the worker might need to log something which looks similar going out.

Honestly, in my opinion the opening video seems staged...like the opener knew something was off before even opening it. I've never felt the need to video opening a package, even those worth substantially more than this Rockstead. Coupled with what appears to be a tape slit right beside where the opener slits the tape over the tab...definitely seems fishy.

Honestly, in my opinion the opening video seems staged...like the opener knew something was off before even opening it. I've never felt the need to video opening a package, even those worth substantially more than this Rockstead. Coupled with what appears to be a tape slit right beside where the opener slits the tape over the tab...definitely seems fishy.
I've no opinion one way or the other as to the truth at this point, except to say that in the video he says he has a bad feeling about it because of the sound the package makes when he shakes it. I can imagine deciding at that point to make an unboxing video.

I have to agree with this observation, since it’s exactly what I thought.
If I received the rocks, I would be on the phone with a PayPal supervisor, then file a claim. My next call would be to a postal inspector, and file a report there. In the meantime, I would be closely communicating with the seller, to determine if I could help him in case of his loss, or thereby discover if he was being deceitful or evasive, by analyzing his responses.
I would only post here, if we needed additional help resolving things, and couldn’t do it privately.

A few hints from years of shipping firearms & knives. Thru UPS USPS etc, Never put the Words Firearms or knives anywhere on the box if possible. Never ship on a thurs-Fri. You want to ship on a Monday .. if the package sits on a weekend or holiday there is more chance of employees having time to check packages, etc. no guarantee, but it can lesson the chances of issues like this..

As stated in the video, and as can be heard when he shakes the box, the sound is not what one expects for a knife. A degree of tension/anxiety seems reasonable during opening- and would certainly prompt me to record, as well.

You can just cut the tape open and reseal it. Nothing hard to do to open the box without damage it. I reuse the box myself.

The seller has stated they re-use boxes, so this obfuscates the certainty that any detectable tape damage in the video is from this shipment or a prior use.

are rocksteads serialed?

If the serial is known, posting it here may be the best chance at clearing names, or even possibly recivering the knife, when the thief attempts to sell.

So sorry to see this guys. sad to see integrity would be sold at all, let alone for so little $. looking forward to a positive resolution.

No matter what really happened here I am never gonna look at a Rockstead knife or see the word in writing without imagining a ziplock bag of rocks. Part of me thinks this whole thing is a gag because I chuckled at the title and the thread delivered, a classic mystery.

Please elaborate if you can. This is case study for me about future sales. Any insight about how to keep things straight would be appreciated.

Thread temporarily closed... there's a few things about this situation that just aren't adding up for me.

My money says, either the seller or the buyer is lying. I don't think any 3rd party took the knife at all. Package looks well taped. Who the hell videos themselves opening a knife they bought off BF? It just doesn't make sense. Fishy fishy..
giphy.gif

I don't want to weigh in on either side other than to say that I have recorded opening packages of higher dollar knives. Mostly due to other threads I've seen here in the GBU. Not the first time a rock has shown up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back